Dynamic sound playback?

napthali
Unregistered

Does anyone know of a good tool (or method) for having a sound play back at variable rates? Like a few-minute-long sound clip speeding up and slowing down based on the speed of movement in the game?

As always, thanks for the help.
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
Just to add to this, it'd be really great to know (if such a function exists) whether or not it changes the pitch of the sound as well.
In the Sound Manager API (legacy), you can set up all those you mentioned in the callbacks.

Check out the source code of Glypha III.

Now, someone had asked me about changing the pitch of a particular sound used for the engine of a boat. You can do that with CoreAudio (OS X).

You could code your own method / filter to go inside the IOProc function (if you are familiar with how CoreAudio works), or you could use an Audio Unit (AU) to post-process the sound in real-time.
Check out SWSounds.c, part of SpriteWorld. It can very easily be modified for use outside of SpriteWorld. It is very solid code in my experience.

-Jon
CocoaBlitz also has excellent sound manipulations (all done with CBMovie)
FMOD makes this sort of stuff _real_ easy (as long as the licensing works for you).
I should probably post the Volcanis code sometime...

Volcanis makes use of CBMovie by varying the rates of the impact sounds so they all sound different.

edit: If you'd like to download the source of just CBMovie, you can do that here.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OpenAL WAV Playback DylanE 7 4,499 Nov 27, 2006 02:21 PM
Last Post: DylanE
  24 Bit Audio Playback TREMS 2 3,188 Sep 29, 2006 06:00 PM
Last Post: Jones
  no ogg sound playback GryphonClaw 1 2,565 Jan 9, 2006 06:32 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie