Best way to switch screen res?

Quote:Originally posted by Frank C.
(if you can avoid popup menus in your GUI you should be fine, otherwise you might need to use Cocoa).

I saw another posting here about this same issue. You just need to resort to SetWindowGroupLevel() with kCGMaximumWindowLevel and your "handmade" contextual menu pop-up windows will draw on top of the blanking window.
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Originally posted by FCCovett
I saw another posting here about this same issue. You just need to resort to SetWindowGroupLevel() with kCGMaximumWindowLevel and your "handmade" contextual menu pop-up windows will draw on top of the blanking window.

Not sure what you mean by "handmade" - can you give more details?
The answer would be to create a window to serve as a pop-up menu and promote its level so it shows in front of the blanking window.

The tough part is to code all the elements for that window to look and act as a pop-up menu, but it can be done. I am not aware of an alternative way to do this, but there may be one.

I've heard something about drawing directly to the blanking window being slower than drawing to a newly created window positioned on top of the blanking window. Also, drawing with Quartz2D to the blanking window is not automatically double-buffered (at least not on my computer). Any insight on these issues?
FYI - on behalf of AnotherJake I deleted a couple of posts in this thread that resulted from a miscommunication.
...The tough part is to code all the elements for that window to look and act as a pop-up menu, but it can be done. I am not aware of an alternative way to do this, but there may be one.

I was afraid that's what you meant Sad . I think it *may* be possible to this in Cocoa, since it has a value for NSPopUpMenuWindowLevel that's mysteriously missing from CGWindowLevel.h... I haven't had time to experiment with it though.

I've heard something about drawing directly to the blanking window being slower than drawing to a newly created window positioned on top of the blanking window.
That sounds odd (Apple recommends doing just that). I've drawn to it with OpenGL in the past on systems where AGLFullscreen fails (via DSpContext_GetFrontBuffer), and although it is slower than AGLFullscreen, I found it to be basically identical in speed to a totally separate window. Never tried QuickDraw/Quartz though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OpenGL full screen mode leaves garbage on screen when exiting app Malarkey 5 5,216 Nov 19, 2008 12:51 PM
Last Post: Malarkey
  Fullscreen/resolution switch causes texture loss IBethune 4 4,224 Feb 21, 2008 01:37 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  fullscreen-window mode switch NYGhost 10 5,400 Feb 10, 2005 09:52 AM
Last Post: NYGhost
  Switch Between Fullscreen and Windowed Modes - Again... thaeez 2 2,941 Jul 9, 2004 02:49 AM
Last Post: thaeez
  OpenGL CGL Switch Between Fullscreen and Windowed Mode thaeez 1 3,278 Jun 30, 2004 04:29 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie