Distributed (networked) dynamic terrain

khanage
Unregistered

Hey All,

As a newbie gamer developer, i was wondering if someone can give me advice on the following.

I'm trying to develop a simple multiplayer first person game using a client server architecture and c++ language which will prove the concept of distributed dynamic terrain (the ability for a gamer to realistically interact with an object and ensure that any effects of the interaction are distributed across the network). Basically when one gamer on the network triggers off an event by user input, the object is required to change its attributes and/or state within the server database and distribute this to other gamers on the network to keep the shared gaming world consistent.

At the moment i'm stuck on:
1) How to represent objects within the gaming environment?
I'm thinking of attributes and possible meta states
Is there a good way to organise it such that these object are easily searchable within the database?
2) What kinds of data need to be transmitted over the network?
3) Is there any free distributed object oriented databases around that are available to download?

Regards and many thanks in advance,
khanage
Quote this message in a reply
Hmm... where to begin...

Let me put it this way: Entire BOOKS have been written to answer questions 1 and 2, and it's still an area of very active research and development Smile

The only question with a short answer is #3: There are a number of open-source game engines that support networking that are worth taking a look at, like Quake 1 and 2. Does Crystal Space do networking? Also, examining the mod tools of companies that are open about their architectures (like the Unreal and Half-Life engines, even if you can't actually run them on a Mac you can read the documentation and understand the concepts). However, I don't think a "real" database (I'm assuming you mean something like MySQL) could be easily adapted to be an action game backend; they're not all that fast compared to most common game engine world design paradigms.
DoG
Gotta second that. Don't even try unless you wrote a few books on C++ and distributed environments.
Quote:Don't even try unless you wrote a few books on C++ and distributed environments.

:eek:
That might be overkill, reading the books might prove to be enough...Rasp

- Sohta
If you're a newbie game developer, I think the general consensus is to start small. Don't try to get massively multiplayer games as your first project. Start with Pong. Work from there...

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
DoG
Quote:Originally posted by Sohta
:eek:
That might be overkill, reading the books might prove to be enough...Rasp

Sense the tone... Rasp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Client side prediction in a networked top-down game AndyKorth 0 3,855 Jun 30, 2009 08:35 AM
Last Post: AndyKorth