SpaceTime 3D Screen Saver (Free Source Code)

ppinter1
Unregistered

SpaceTime Screen Saver for Mac OS X is an emmersive, fully 3D screen saver featuring:
  • animated Warp Field effect viewable in all three dimensions with blended lighting for additional visual impact.
  • customizable settings for warp speed, star density, enabling effects, selecting 3DS meshes, etc.
Utilizes my Mesh3DS Framework to enable loading basic 3D Studio MAX (.3ds) meshes easily.

Free as in beer, free as in speech, complete Cocoa source code and Project Builder v2.1 files are provided for SpaceTime Screen Saver, Mesh3DS Framework and a sample program called Display3DS.

No warrantees or restrictions apply to this code; use it as you like in your own projects or to learn Cocoa and/or OpenGL programming on OS X.

SpaceTime is currently untested on Panther; so I'd be grateful if someone would compile SpaceTime with Xcode and contact me with the results at: pinter@p-squared.com (I donated my sunflower imac to my daughter, a senior in college, as she needs the mac way more than I do).

If you find this code useful or instructive, a PayPal donation of a dollar or two would help me replace the mac next year.

Otherwise, if any of this code helps you with Cocoa and/or OpenGL programming on OS X, it has served its purpose.

Cheers,
/p2
Quote this message in a reply
Oldtimer
Hey, this is great! Grin Huge thanks for your generousity!
Sage
The build in the .dmg crashes Panther's screen saver control panel:

Code:
Thread 0 Crashed:
#0   0x01ab454c in 0x1ab454c
#1   0x01ab4b50 in 0x1ab4b50
#2   0x01adb350 in 0x1adb350
#3   0x018e2dcc in -[Okudagram DrawMeshes:] (Okudagram.m:164)
#4   0x018e21c0 in -[SpaceTime animateOneFrame] (SpaceTime.m:100)
#5   0x91022930 in -[ScreenSaverView _oneStep:] (-[ScreenSaverView _oneStep:] + 132)
ppinter1
Unregistered

I expect both the SpaceTime Screen Saver and the Mesh3DS.Framework simply need to be recompiled with Xcode under Panther.

Again, as I no longer have a mac, I'd be grateful if someone would compile and test this kit under Panther and post the results here or e-mail me.

Cheers,
/p2
ppinter1
Unregistered

Anyone? Anyone at all?
Maybe you arent getting enough resposes because the file is 16 megs and times-out (at least with my crappy 56k modem) so I can never d/l the whole thing easily. I cant imagine why the code example is so large (huge models maybe? textures? audio?). Howbout a version with just bare-bones media as an example?

sorry I couldnt be more helpful,
Codemattic
That is the reason I haven't download it yet... started, got 3/4 of the way in and it timed out. Mad
Try using something that allows resumes, such as curl
[code]curl -C - --remote-name http://www.myurl.com/[code]
or something like that...

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
compiling it in xcode in panther didn't fix the problem
ppinter1
Unregistered

Okay, thanks SkyHawk and thanks to all who tried.

Unless anyone has time to fix the Panther specific problem, I won't be able to fix the problem till I replace my Mac next year (those new 20" imacs look especially attractive).

Cheers,
/p2
deekpyro
Unregistered

Okay, I've spent about 10 minutes on this thing trying to fix it up it and seems this line in Mesh3ds.m (in the framework) is the cuprite:

-(void)Display {glCallList (DisplayListNumber);}

if I comment the display list call out the screen saver so now of course the screensaver runs without crashing but without drawing any of the models on screen either.

If you have any thoughts why the display list would crash let me know....

Otherwise I can build the changes for both and you can upload them to your website for the world.

Hope I could help,
Derek
Sage
Panther has issues with display lists which embed vertex array calls. They crash.

stauffer@apple.com said on Nov 8 2003 that they found and fixed the problem, so this might work in 10.3.2? If not, the only workaround is to use immediate mode.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OpenGL full screen mode leaves garbage on screen when exiting app Malarkey 5 4,941 Nov 19, 2008 12:51 PM
Last Post: Malarkey
  OpenGL Source Code Generator Leisure Suit Lurie 2 3,798 Jul 5, 2005 11:55 AM
Last Post: Cochrane
  Source code gold mine kelvin 5 3,170 Aug 27, 2004 07:25 PM
Last Post: codemattic
  Beginner OpenGL: Looking for source code CarbonX 4 3,269 Dec 13, 2003 05:01 PM
Last Post: Sohta
  Free sample code Feanor 7 4,476 Oct 17, 2002 06:19 PM
Last Post: Feanor