gluScaleImage and 9 fps.

Luminary
I believe that an upcoming ARB extension (known currently only as ARB_¸ber_buffers) will essentially replace ARB_vertex_buffer_object, and that Apple doesn't ever intend to implement ARB_vertex_buffer_object.

I have filed a feature request bug asking that it be added, but have had no feedback.

If you want the extension, file a bug report.

If you don't care about cross-platform source, APPLE_vertex_array_range is probably faster than ARB_vbo would be.
Quote this message in a reply
I get no speed up using APPLE_var...
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
I believe that an upcoming ARB extension (known currently only as ARB_¸ber_buffers) will essentially replace ARB_vertex_buffer_object, and that Apple doesn't ever intend to implement ARB_vertex_buffer_object.

I have filed a feature request bug asking that it be added, but have had no feedback.

If you want the extension, file a bug report.

If you don't care about cross-platform source, APPLE_vertex_array_range is probably faster than ARB_vbo would be.

Huh? unless APPLE_vertex_array_range changes the speed of the RAM on the videocard how can that be?

But back to the point I was going to make, if APPLE_vertex_array_range access VRAM instread of AGP RAM or system RAM then it would be just as good as VBO's. vertex arrays are system RAM, VBO's are VRAM unless I am wrong but pretty sure that is how they are setup?
Mars_999
Unregistered

What version of OpenGL is Apple on now? If they are at 1.4 how the hell can they say they are compliant? VBO's are part of 1.3 if I remember right or maybe 1.4. And most likely it will have to be implemented by your videocard drivers.
Luminary
Neither APPLE_vertex_array_range nor ARB_vertex_buffer_object guarantees where your vertices will be stored. Each has different usage policies which provide different storage modes. Each can place vertices in VRAM, AGP memory or system RAM as required.

Josh, what are you doing with VAR (and on what hardware) that you see no improvement?

ARB_vertex_buffer_object is required by OpenGL 1.5. The extension specification was finished after the 1.4 spec, so how could it be included in that? Rolleyes .

Apple's OpenGL implementation supports OpenGL 1.4, however to my knowledge no renderers yet support higher than 1.3. In the case of the GeForce FX and Radeon 9500+, this is a driver issue rather than a hardware issue at least.
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie

ARB_vertex_buffer_object is required by OpenGL 1.5. The extension specification was finished after the 1.4 spec, so how could it be included in that? Rolleyes .

What I should have said or meant to say is that VBO's have been around since 1.4 has been around. So they could be supported if your drivers have VBO's implemented. Blush