Maya PLE 5

ricuse7
Unregistered

Anyone download the new Maya PLE releaced Today at
Maya 5 PLE
Anyone like to comment on how you like it compared to the others?
Quote this message in a reply
I got it. This is the first version I actually have ever got to run. (I love my G5).

It seems like maya in every way. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll just be clicking in plants and making them grow in real time any time soon.
I've been waiting for the download to be available for a couple months now (didn't want to pay for the CD) and am glad it's finally available.

Haven't done anything more than download, install, and launch once, yet.

I would be interested in seeing what everyone else thinks of this version as well. (I had downloaded PLE 4, but I was running it on a PowerBook G3 at the time, so it was extremely unstable).
Max
Alias said Maya 5 PLE is perfect for student portfolios but that's not true. Many employers complain about the huge watermark (when reviewing portfolios). Maya 5 PLE is for practice only - no one should use it to produce something.

Anyway, Maya PLE is great. It runs smoothly on my G5. Too bad it can't import my old Maya Unlimited v.3 projects because the new renderer looks powerful. Perhaps I'll use Maya 5 to create models for Unreal Tournament 2003. I wonder how that works...

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
Nibbie
I'm not convinced Maya really supports mac, I have Maya 5 unlimited (don't ask) and it seems like all the stuff I need wasn't ported to the mac version, + its buggy and not all thatn efficient with system resources even on my Dual 2ghz G5, I like Maya but when it comes to real work I have to use lightwave because Maya for mac is clearly unfinished.
ricuse7
Unregistered

So how would you compair 3d studio max with Maya would it be better for game animation in, overall animation smoothness, optimization, size, quality, tools?
ummmm, you can not compare those 2 programs AT ALL! one of them is a PoS because it doesn't even support the mac
I had to work in 3dsMax for quite a while, and not only does it not support the Mac, but it's a lemon of a program (there is only one 3d program I can think of, that's worse than 3dsMax, and that's Strata, but at least Strata is several hundred less).
Nibbie
Justin Brimm Wrote:I had to work in 3dsMax for quite a while, and not only does it not support the Mac, but it's a lemon of a program (there is only one 3d program I can think of, that's worse than 3dsMax, and that's Strata, but at least Strata is several hundred less).

Yeah, i've used Carrara (all versions) lightwave, maya and 3DS and herers my quick reviews:maybe thi will help, maybe this should be another topic, whatever: best last:

3DS: anyone used autoCAD? hated it? this program is a bitch, among other things it can't import anything much in terms of formats and it chokes all the time. The program rarely crashes but often gets too slow to run (and I was on a 48-node linux cluster at Brown University). The workflow in this program is a pain, requiring many iterations and ultra-dependant on knowing exactly how everything works before you start, as its easy to Dead End in 3DS. I WOULD NOT RECCOMENT THIS PROGRAM MUCH.

Carrara(s): Well, not much to talk about, the interface is cool, pretty customizable, but way to metal themed!, oh, riight, for 3D eh? well Carrara is pretty advanced for its price, it makes great models and exports in a variety of formats, but there is a feel of kiddie-proofing on it that i can't quite shake when i use it. Animation in Carrara is good, but not as good as modeling. Texturing can be a tad tough.

Maya 5: Wow, a long way from Maya 3.5, which didn't really support mac, oh wait, no, Maya 5 doesn't support mac much eaither. Many of the coolest effects are still windows only and it has odd crashes on my Dual 2G5 running panther nad no OS mods. Anway, maya is still sweet, but more for animating than games. Maya is an exteremly intuitive program, its quick to pick up and easy to make nice things with it. Its amazingly flexible, all kinds of effects nad models can be deformend/textured in any way you imagine, but its hard to control what you are creating unless your a fairly experienced user. Better for animation than games, but servicable.

Lightwave 7.5c: Well, best for last. Lightwave is serious bang for buck, the education version being only 299! Anyway, lightwave is a games modeling tool more than anything else. Its moddeler is absolutely perfect for modeling games cahracters/enviorments and the naimator suppsrts a lot of sweet effects. I am a lightwaver fan myself... if you don't believe me Lightwave is what was used for all the moddeling in Halo... anwya, lightwave is easy to learn from internet tutorials, easy on the wallet and fairly amazing, it does everything but its all moddular, so you can model/texture and animate separatelly. The workflow in lightwave is great, you model, animate, tweak models, tweak animations, lighting & SFX, then render. Oh yeah, lightwaves rendered roxors!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  maya? blender? 3dsmax? craggas 35 23,479 Jul 3, 2010 11:39 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  Baking lightmaps in Maya (2008) NoradNinja 2 6,024 Nov 18, 2007 07:03 PM
Last Post: NoradNinja
  Mac Maya .md2 exporter. LongJumper 2 5,504 Jul 30, 2005 11:50 AM
Last Post: LongJumper
  Exporting .obj and .mtl From Maya 5.0 Nick 0 3,692 Mar 7, 2005 05:06 PM
Last Post: Nick
  Maya to Photoshop and Back Again Nick 4 4,668 Nov 14, 2004 07:57 PM