New OpenAL implementation

Pinched from IMG:

Epic Games' Ryan Gordon, responsible for the port of many of the most popular PC titles to the Mac platform, recently unleashed his very own implementation of OpenAL, a popular cross-platform 3D audio API appropriate for use with gaming applications and many other types of audio applications.

Gordon's build features a number of improvements from OpenAL.org's implementation, among which we highlight:
  • Speed. This is currently the fastest AL implementation for OSX, even counting the new CoreAudio support in openal.org's CVS.
  • Contains optimizations for Altivec-enabled systems, but has scalar fallbacks for G3 and older systems.
  • Is designed with multithreading in mind...should be 100% thread safe, and can take advantage of multiple CPU systems internally.
  • Can handle multiple contexts on multiple devices, all running in parallel.
  • Supports the AL_ENUMERATION_EXT extension for device enumeration.
  • Supports AL_EXT_vorbis for direct playback of Ogg Vorbis audio; the Vorbis decoder is a highly optimized and Altivec-enabled fork of xiph.org's libvorbis-1.0...using this extension can be significantly faster and easier for the application than using a stock libvorbis and buffer queueing.

According to Ryan Gordon himself, while this release is indeed quite robust it is still in development and is not to be considered complete. While it is enough to play Unreal Tournament 2003 well, it is still missing some features found in complete OpenAL libraries.

http://icculus.org/news/news.php?id=1728
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Originally posted by willThimbleby
Epic Games' Ryan Gordon, responsible for the port of many of the most popular PC titles to the Mac platform, recently unleashed his very own implementation of OpenAL, a popular cross-platform 3D audio API appropriate for use with gaming applications and many other types of audio applications.

I was hoping Unreal Tournament's OS X Patch was a higher priority... Sneaky
macpete
Unregistered

Quote:I was hoping Unreal Tournament's OS X Patch was a higher priority...

Finishing and optimizing the Macintosh OpenAL implementation IS very important ...

UT X and UT2003 rely upon this API and the current implemetation is buggy and slow.

And MacOS X NEEDS a positional audio API for gaming, doesn't it?
Founder
I saw this on IMG too and asked someone to post it to our news. BTW pete, did you mean to press a "l", but pressed a "k" instead? Look at your country field.

ciao

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Heh, I put a post into the news system as soon as I saw the info about it. Who did you ask to post it? Hope they don't feel bad that I had already jumped the gun.

Honestly, we definitely need an optimized, positional audio API for Mac OS X and this looks like a good step in that direction. He plans to keep patching it and bringing it up to date, so my thanks to go out to him.

I always wanted to get into OpenAL development when I was still doing all my crazy OpenGL stuff, but it was never really supported on the Mac at the time. Great to finally see a step in any direction really.
Glad you posted it for me, Morgan. I am pretty swamped in school and trying to keep my head above water (with little success).
macpete
Unregistered

Quote:BTW pete, did you mean to press a "l", but pressed a "k" instead? Look at your country field.

Ehe ... yes, of course. I'm italian.
deekpyro
Unregistered

Hehe, SOMEHOW whenever I try to link against the dylib the app crashes on launch when loading in the sound files...

oh well, I'll have to stick with the older framework for now Rasp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Music Composition, Sound Design and Implementation for your games MyMiniGemini 0 333 Oct 21, 2014 03:13 PM
Last Post: MyMiniGemini
  Suggestions for Sound Implementation soulstorm 15 7,593 May 15, 2009 07:54 PM
Last Post: Gillissie
  gluUnproject implementation TomorrowPlusX 3 10,499 Sep 19, 2006 08:27 AM
Last Post: TomorrowPlusX
  Shader implementation questions akb825 12 5,308 Jun 5, 2006 04:39 PM
Last Post: akb825
  Implementation of 2D Tiles using OpenGL aaronsullivan 18 12,798 Jun 14, 2003 05:41 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie