Font creation.

I got a really sweet job doing the graphic design for a web hosting company after their former graphic artist quit. The problem is, i need to make some more navigation images that use the same font of the originals. I don't have the name of the font or the PSD of the original. It won't be that hard to replicate the font but it would make my life 20 to 30 billion times easier (approx.) if I can actually build a font. I have never done this before, so if anybody knows anything about it, it would be a huge help!
Quote this message in a reply
Font creating applications are very expensive. There are a few out there. One to look at is: FontLab (Review at MacAddict ). I know there are a few others, but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head right now.
Just remembered what that cheap alternative was. It's called TypeTool 2 ($99). There was a "How-to" in MacAddict (Aug, 2003). TypeTool is also from the FontLab company. Check out their website: http://www.fontlab.com/
I might be able to get reimbursed by the company.
Founder
Making a font set is no trivial matter. You can get "close" but then there are other factors like the kerning. So, their former artist made some buttons and saved them in gif/jpeg and never saved the originals in PSD/EPS/etc nor documented anything? Sounds like this company is doing things by the seat of their pants. If you want to score points, you will show them how you will keep track of small details that matter greatly later.

I have been in the same boat before. My advice is to use a new font set and remake all the buttons. Smile

If you STILL want to make fonts. Macromedia's Fontgrapher was the best but is Classic only, and I doubt they will ever update it. I have seen a great Japanese Mac OS X app, but that doesn't help you. Wink

Good luck.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
DoG
It is usually not too hard finding a font if you have an image of some letters and a font catalog at hand. Every design company should have at least half a dozen of them. The more exotic the font, the easier to identify.
I figured it out without creating a new font (Though I came close). I used all of the letters that I could recover from the buttons and the improvised with the others (the font was rather predictable). I had them all on separate layers in PS and just switched them on and off and moved them around. It turned out really well and looks pretty seamless. I'll get a URL when I can for you to all see my handiwork. Cool

So, in essence I did recreate the font just not in a font creation program. It worked great for this and was a good solution as long as I don't need to use the font for a large amount of text.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2D graphics creation ferum 13 8,073 Mar 5, 2008 03:29 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  2D image creation? BinarySpike 8 5,095 Jul 27, 2005 05:31 PM
Last Post: Buzzboy_109