glDrawArrays

Programmer
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by lpetrich
My guess is that these are for rotation matrices. If so, then all one has to do is to calculate them once for each angle, store them, and then recall them as needed.

How many rotations do you really have? It sounds like you should have the same rotation for all the geometry, in which case you should only need to calculate one rotation matrix (which is trivial).
Quote this message in a reply
deekpyro
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Mars_999
Yes you can store normals in arrays. I have VBO's up and running and have texure, normals, vertex data all stored in VBO's!

HTH! And remember me on Christmas I would like a Dual G5 w/9800Pro!

woah...I thought VBO's couldn't be used in OS X until OpenGL 1.5 came out (with the proper extension).

What extension are you using then? Is it better then the one coming with 1.5?

Man...I'd pay real money (none of that monopoly shit) to setup VBOs in my game!

Thanks man,
Derek (Jesus)
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by deekpyro
woah...I thought VBO's couldn't be used in OS X until OpenGL 1.5 came out (with the proper extension).

What extension are you using then? Is it better then the one coming with 1.5?

Man...I'd pay real money (none of that monopoly shit) to setup VBOs in my game!

Thanks man,
Derek (Jesus)

Hahaha I coded my own extentsion! Wow Nah I don't have a Mac right now sold my last one. I am on a crappy PC until I can sell it. But VBOs ROCK. If they are as good on the Mac as they are on the PC hold on.
henryj
Unregistered

Read this thread...

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthrea...genumber=1

and then post your profile.

(ooh errr, recursive posting)
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by henryj
Read this thread...

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthrea...genumber=1

and then post your profile.

(ooh errr, recursive posting)

Who is that for henry??
henryj
Unregistered

Muffinking and anyone else who is having performance problems.
Mars_999
Unregistered

Muffinking and anyone else who is having performance problems.

What about performance issues when it involves not using algorithms such as culling? I think that is a no brainer. Culling will improve performance.
Programmer
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Mars_999
What about performance issues when it involves not using algorithms such as culling? I think that is a no brainer. Culling will improve performance.

It usually is, but before pursuing this as a solution you ought to be sure that more is being drawn than is appearing on screen. If everything drawn appears on screen then culling is just extra work and it doesn't save you anything.

There is often a trade-off between the cost of culling and the cost of drawing. If drawing is really cheap and culling is really expensive then it doesn't make any sense to do. In a similar vein it is important to figure out at what level to cull things -- typically culling at a low level (e.g. per triangle, as an extreme example) is far too slow.

On really fast GPU hardware it is possible that the cost of drawing everything is less than the cost of chopping the scene up into pieces in order to be able to cull it. Under OpenGL this situation is only like to be true if your drawing is not using the immediate mode draw calls.
henryj
Unregistered

Quote:What about performance issues when it involves not using algorithms such as culling? I think that is a no brainer. Culling will improve performance.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A NO BRAINER. PROFILE YOUR DAMN CODE. THERE NO OTHER WAY TO TELL.

I give up.
Mars_999
Unregistered

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A NO BRAINER. PROFILE YOUR DAMN CODE. THERE NO OTHER WAY TO TELL.

I give up.

Well I have 132k polygons using VBO's and 5 texture units, I am only getting 20-30fps. That is sad. This is with a 9700Pro. I need it faster due to I haven't even put models or a particle engine in yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OpenGL glDrawArrays not working dotbianry 12 10,910 Dec 21, 2012 09:21 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Drawing using glDrawArrays agreendev 9 16,898 Jul 17, 2010 05:20 AM
Last Post: Bersaelor
  glColor4f not working after glDrawArrays Technoman 2 6,245 Aug 15, 2009 08:09 AM
Last Post: Technoman
  glDrawElements vs. glDrawArrays - The numbers are in! inio 22 19,735 Jul 19, 2003 10:00 AM
Last Post: Josh