polygon smoothing

Sage
FSAA is a terrible solution for ANY 2D app, because:

1) the quality is worse than the old hardware smoothing
2) requires much more VRAM / fillrate
3) isn't as flexible (can't mix aliased and antialiased primitives)

For 3D apps FSAA probably seems like an OK solution since you generally want to avoid sorting your scene back-to-front to get correct alpha draw order. But it still is a big waste of time/space for a small quality improvement.
Quote this message in a reply
ATI's drivers suck. Just buy an nVidia card. There, problem solved.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Sage
APPLE DOESN'T MAKE A 15" LAPTOP WITH AN NVIDIA CHIPSET.

</screaming>

Besides which, even if my personal system is OpenGL-compliant, what about my customers who bought machines with ATI chips? Eh!?

As a developer, you have the responsibility to test your software on all currently available systems.
okay, sorry, next time I'm being sarcastic I'll make sure and be as discreet as possible so as to kill anyone with over obviousness.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
ever thought of changing the polygon fill mode to draw them antialiased lines rather than drawing GL_LINES?

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by arekkusu
APPLE DOESN'T MAKE A 15" LAPTOP WITH AN NVIDIA CHIPSET.

</screaming>

Besides which, even if my personal system is OpenGL-compliant, what about my customers who bought machines with ATI chips? Eh!?

As a developer, you have the responsibility to test your software on all currently available systems.

You need to check again. The 12" Powerbook has a Nvidia 5200 GPU
Luminary
You need to learn to read, Mars. He want's a 15" laptop with an NVidia card.
Sage
Quote:Originally posted by kelvin
ever thought of changing the polygon fill mode to draw them antialiased lines rather than drawing GL_LINES?

Yes, I thought of that. The current Radeon 9x00 drivers don't support point or line antialiasing either.

Line antialiasing is unreliable in any case-- the G4FMX can only draw lines 1px wide, for example. And the Radeon 9x00 doesn't draw anything if the width is < 1.0, which is out of spec.

In the past I've replaced both points and lines with textured quads, but now quads are broken as well. I started another thread about this earlier.
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
You need to learn to read, Mars. He want's a [b]15" laptop with an NVidia card. [/b]

Whoops. Still stating the truth that their is a Nvida GPU laptop just in case no one knew that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Polygon budgets Kerome 1 2,823 Mar 7, 2010 04:55 AM
Last Post: mikey
  glut polygon winding strangeness OptimisticMonkey 2 2,985 Sep 7, 2009 06:27 PM
Last Post: OptimisticMonkey
  Getting the Normal for a polygon. Jaden 3 5,646 May 1, 2009 01:47 PM
Last Post: Nosredna
  Smoothing geometry via subdivision TomorrowPlusX 1 2,785 Aug 30, 2007 02:46 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Smoothing tangents for bumpmapping TomorrowPlusX 1 2,476 Aug 13, 2007 10:54 AM
Last Post: TomorrowPlusX