SDL/LGPL license query

Quote:Include the source code for the version of SDL that you link with, as well as the full source or object code to your application so that the user can relink your application,

Um, the definition of the term 'object code' is, exactly?

I'm pretty sure that the Linux port of Civ3 used SDL, but the license seems to preclude any commercial development... anybody with more experience of interpreting legalese case to shed a little light on this?

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Quote this message in a reply
w_reade
Unregistered

I believe the object code is the .o files you find deep in the build directory in a PB project (.../build/ProjectName.build/ProjectName.build/Object-normal/).
Seems odd, but I've done a quick search, which confirmed that Linux porting house Loki used SDL for a few commercial titles, which seemed to be prohibited by the license?

I'll probably just email the SDL list... but I can't continue with a project (ironically, pretty much already coded) with this unresolved.
:sigh:

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Luminary
IANAL, but...

The terms of the LGPL require that the user be able to replace the LGPLed library with a different version of the same library, or with an interface-identical library.

In practice, that means you can link statically against an LGPL library only if your program is open-source, or (as the snippet you posted suggests), you provide the .o files so that your program can be relinked.

The other solution is to dynamically link against that library (probably via a framework on Mac OS X). This means that you don't have to provide any source or object code, because the user can switch the libraries simply by switching the library files.

Note that you can still include the SDL framework inside your application bundle under these terms, because it's still easy to replace it with a different version.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  query on Level Designing mchowdhury1983 1 2,883 Nov 20, 2011 12:08 PM
Last Post: sealfin
  Occlusion query code failing on ATI 9600 TomorrowPlusX 4 5,474 Mar 10, 2007 08:52 AM
Last Post: arekkusu
  Occlusion query failing for fogged occluders TomorrowPlusX 12 6,495 Jan 8, 2006 05:03 PM
Last Post: arekkusu
  Query regarding number of polys, and tools Lucis-Gladius 2 2,982 Aug 17, 2004 02:22 PM
Last Post: Lucis-Gladius
  AGL Ref examples, or 'ifreeze' (last obvious query ;) ) sealfin 6 5,376 May 28, 2002 11:42 AM
Last Post: sealfin