Examples of when fighting is fun in action-adventure games

AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Oh and one more thing. Play the GBA games Castlevania: Circle of the Moon and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. The Castlevania games are two of the best action games I've ever played in my life. Although they are 2D games, their overall gameplay is astounding. It may seem simple at first but it currently holds the title of being one of the few action game series where I like to kill enemies and not pass them by. Plus, the Castlevania games are vampire hunting games too (and they have the best weapom in vampire hunting history, the whip!!!).
Quote this message in a reply
WaaMatt
Unregistered

Fun action/fighting in an Action/Adventure game? Look no further than Capcom's Viewtiful Joe. That game is amazing and is, at times, "breathtakingly difficult," but in a good way.

Devil May Cry had cool game play and I hear DMC2 was even better.

Classic side scroller, while fairly repititious, show how simple punches and kicks really get the job done. Golden Axe? Final Fight? Double Dragon?!? Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is probably the BEST side scroller, if not just the best Castlevania game (though I haven't played the GBA ones).

My computer game experience is really palry, so I can't really list any computer games as examples of fun gameplay. (Anyone ever played Mind Walker on the Amiga?)

Oni was pretty rad, indeed. What about Product Number 3 (PN03)? I hear the gameplay is extremely repetitive and the game gets old fast, but if you watch the demo movie on the Viewtiful Joe disk they make it look really, really fun. Plus the main character appears to be dancing or striking poses as often as possible... I think they may have even worked in independant movement for her glutes, as opposed to rather stiff entire-upper-leg movement. (In the high-res CG sequences you see it, anyway.)
ChukB
Unregistered

I think I missed this thread by a couple of weeks, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.
There was a game for PS2 that came out a year or two ago called 'Mark of Kri'. The fighting sytem seemed a little too narrow to me - Like you were pretty much playing against the controller for the whole game - But it was very new, and a lot of fun. When you encountered a mob enemies you first used a directional control to target one, two, or three of them, which assigned the each enemy targeted to either the x, circle, or square button (I think), and once you had enemies targeted, pressing a button did a simple attack at the enemy assigned to that button. Some combos and a progression of new weapons through the game kept it interesting.

My fave, though, would have to be 'Castlevania - Symphony of the Night' for the Playstation. True to its roots, this used a simple jump/crouch/attack setup, but the animation and the speed of the game made it great. What I liked about it was that attacking did slightly different things if you were crouching, jumping, running, or standing still. It made the chore of maneuvering around enemies part of the fighting system and it just felt great to play.
Later,
Charlie
Dah Hulk.au
Unregistered

I'm gonna throw in another vote for the 3D Zelda system. If your game isn't just hand-to-hand, and involves weapons of any kind, I reckon it's the way to go. It works good with pretty much any sword/pole type weapons, and is easy and intuitive. As far a beat-em-up styles go, what most of the other people have suggested is pretty good. Oni is one of the best.

The reason Zelda works so well is the lock-on (Z- or L-targeting) is very effective and, basically, good. Just watch out if you do use it, though, Nintendo have copyrighted the mechanics of it =D
Hog
Quote:Originally posted by Dah Hulk.au
The reason Zelda works so well is the lock-on (Z- or L-targeting) is very effective and, basically, good. Just watch out if you do use it, though, Nintendo have copyrighted the mechanics of it =D

i generally dissapprove of any type of targeting systems, it's more fun to coordinate things by yourself.
i found the Rune fighting system great, but maybe that's just because i played that for ages. (i probably would still if there was an OSX version)
WaaMatt
Unregistered

I think Zelda's targeting system is great. It changes the way you fight and sort of gets more out of the controller.
Yeah, I really like the Zelda fighting system, it really feels like it's you that make a diffrence, it's not like the level your at or the sword you use that make you win a fight.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
karolos
Unregistered

Why not an involving combat move during the game? I can imagine that we will play the vampire hunter, so he will have things to learn to fight against new ennemies? That will make the game involving and for the player, new moves to learn and practice.

If remember a good fight game, it was...Soul Calibur in Playstation, there was a charactere that used a sword, with combos, it made very nice moves.

Also the movies "A ghost chinese story". It could be a good inspiration for you to see some "old fashion" Hong Kong movies since they are pretty amazing and lot of good ideas :-)
Quote:Originally posted by WaaMatt
Fun action/fighting in an Action/Adventure game? Look no further than Capcom's Viewtiful Joe. That game is amazing and is, at times, "breathtakingly difficult," but in a good way.

Viewtiful Joe is IMO on of the best games on this gens consoles. It simply rules.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Adventure Puzzle Game (With Pic!) mickyg 3 4,438 Feb 21, 2012 11:15 AM
Last Post: Mediacitygames
  Adventure game engine? sippan 33 15,431 Nov 13, 2006 03:04 PM
Last Post: Steven
  How to do fighting games? Taxxodium 15 13,009 Jul 18, 2006 05:30 AM
Last Post: Syemon
  Like Pokemon (sorta)...but with customizable fighting robots... CaptKevMan 9 6,927 Jul 31, 2003 08:36 AM
Last Post: CaptKevMan
  Best fighting game interface? Max 11 8,215 Jul 25, 2003 07:24 PM
Last Post: applekid