Hi/Question

Deralti
Unregistered

thanks so much!Grin i'll fiddle with this for a bit until i feel confident to go to something else.
Quote this message in a reply
It sounds like you're trying to do projects that are too advanced for your level of experience.

Before getting into complex graphics, how about just drawing some shapes in a window? Or doing a tic-tac-toe game? Yes, neither are very exciting, but until you learn the fundamentals of dealing with windows, ports, pixmaps, etc, you're not going to get very far.

While Apple's documentation isn't everything it could be, it's really not that bad. If it sounds vague and confusing and you can't make heads or tails of it, that's a sure sign you're in too deep and you need to simplify what you're trying to accomplish.

Wade
lillo
Unregistered

Sadly it seems like noone ever considers Allegro as a viable alternative for game programming under OSX... With Allegro you get multiple platforms support for free and it's really easy to use; for example to load and display an image on screen, you'd just have to do:

Code:
int main()
{
  BITMAP *my_image;

allegro_init();
  install_keyboard();

set_color_depth(32);
  if (set_gfx_mode(GFX_AUTODETECT, 640, 480, 0, 0)) {
    allegro_message("Error: cannot set gfx mode!");
    return -1;
  }
  my_image = load_bitmap("the_image.bmp", NULL);
  blit(my_image, screen, 0, 0, 0, 0, my_image->w, my_image->h);
  readkey();
}
END_OF_MAIN()

This will set 640x480x32 gfx mode, displaying a (Cocoa) message box on error, then it'll load and blit on the screen the_image.bmp, and will wait for the user to press a key before exiting.
This code is completely portable and will compile without changes on all Allegro supported platforms (MacOSX, Linux, BeOS, QNX, Win32 and DOS).

So please consider using Allegro in your next projects... it costed a lot of time and efforts to the developers (including myself).

Here is the Allegro homepage
Kinda OT, but Allegro looks cool! I think I might learn it after UDG...

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Sta7ic
Unregistered

If I had a penny for every time someone promoted their gamedev or graphics library/package here, I could get myself enough Jolt to become insomniatic...

-"Sta7ic" Matt
Deralti
Unregistered

I asked for a BASE of stuff, people reccomend all sorts of things and im lost in the shuffle Sad.

I repeat, i said i'd fiddle with it... meaning i won't be making anything anytime soon, just figuring out how to do the basic things first then improving from that.

Example:
Make a program that uses copybits();
Next:
Make a program that improves on it by adding an event that if some key is pressed it does copybits();
Next: improve that if you press esc it quits
etc......
do you understand me now? Grin.

BTW: thanks fenris, i'll have a look at that next weekend....so much homework this week! grr Sad