Online Game Idea

LordViking
Unregistered

I know the task is daunting, and I am glad Lockdown has offered to help me, so rather than completley bashing everything Cookie, just deal with it.
More game concepts:
Within the economy of the town there will also be an aspect of religion. Since this is in Europe, we can have a church. The priest will become the central figure of this town as it is he who will lead the war against the vampires. Vampires have been said to be afraid of the sign of the cross, and therfore of Religion. So People with a higher religious fervor can resist Vampiracy more. The main goal of the Vampires in the Medieval town is to stop the Priest's crusade. Of course, as time passes, and society becomes more secular, the priest's role dimishes. If it is an economically vibrant town, they could opt to have city countil promote a cathedral building ordinance. This would increase the fervor of the town and protect against vamps, but if it goes into misuse, it could become a haven for the denizens of the night.
Quote this message in a reply
w_reade
Unregistered

We aren't talking about your time estimates, wildly off base though they are. A few questions that might give you some idea of what we're getting at:

How is Java similar to BASIC?

What do you mean, "COMPLEX AI"? Or is that example meant to be a joke?

What earthly good will knowing HTML (a markup language, not a programming language) do a games programmer?

And where the hell did you get the idea that people hire games programmers on the basis of how many languages they know!?

Oh, and what's "C+"? Rasp

edit:

LordViking: Better to be mildly bashed now than terminally bitter 5 years down the line about all the time and energy you've wasted. It may seem harsh, but... well, for what it's worth, here's my advice on the matter:

http://www.idevgames.com/content/article.php?id=109

It may help you see where we're coming from... otherwise, I'm always open to criticism.
Quote:Originally posted by w_reade

And where the hell did you get the idea that people hire games programmers on the basis of how many languages they know!?

I agree, if apple wants to hire an objective C programmer to write itunes 5, I don't think they care if he knows java and flash, but as long as he knows Obj-C
LordViking
Unregistered

Yeah, I see no problems with critiscism of my ideas, if I was afraid of criticism, I would've never started this post. But try to keep personal and character attacks to a minimum, I do not want to have this thread turn into people flaming eachother over program languages...
Actually we are working on a Vampire based RPG at this very moment, for Mac and PC. Hmm where's last weeks demo? I have to update it, and read over your concept again. Then I'll be back.

We aren't planning Online play, yet.
But its not totaly out of reach.

In general avoid ever mentioning paying anyone, unless you are actually loaded with cash, just don't say it, don't bring it up at all.

You're first game should be free and you should finish it in well under six months, maybe testing elements of the super game you want. I'm not just talking about programming either, I mean design wise, story, and all that. You don't want to waste a year or more on a freebee game thats going to get bashed and forgotten anyway, like so many games do.

And since this is the Game Design thread, can you folks simply stick to Game Design concepts at hand and not bicker over whose programming skill is at what level, etc, etc.How is Java similar to BASIC?--- discuss that in the Programming section, eh?
Unless you are going to get involved in the idea, or have a "better idea" for the concept at hand, run along and play with badger or something.

You know uDG is going to bring new, inexperienced people to this site, and some professional's and they are going to look over some of these threads and what are they going to say to themselves?

"What a bunch of game programming trolls!"

Ok be back with iGhoul demo a little later.
LordViking
Unregistered

Yeah, for my initial game, I'm planning just a little medieval village simulation. No dynamic economy, no large epic struggle. It'll be a small village nestled between a river and a forest. To test out a government and simple economic system.
Ok re-read the your concept:
First suggestion, please, please use paragraphs, there seems to be a whole generation who thinks the return key is evil or something (my brother never uses it).

Second, its not a bad idea but its complicated. The mulitplayer issues being the most complicated. Not impossible with an experienced team but since this would be your first game design, some culling is in order for sure.
Not sure where yet, trial and error and burn out during the dev process might expose its weak points.

Lets see I've only roughed out the idea for our game:
You play a deposed vampire lord, the civilians have shelled and ransacked your castle and driven you out into the wilds

You begin very weak and need to feed and seek shelter, as your power grows you would gain some of your supernatural powers and some undead legions.

You must seek out your enemy's and their allies, as well as ancient artifacts that will give you your supernatural powers back, as well as enable you to conquer some of the "things" which your enemies' allies have control over.

The final goal of it all is to regain your "Lord" status and rule for another age, without worrying about waking up impaled or on a beach at dawn one day.

As you can see this is workable as a single player game, none of that online overhead and headache. Of course if it is succesful, and people want more, then an online game is more likely to be attractive, both to devs and customers alike. Especially with character, models, textures and world mostly established by the first game.

Tobi has worked primarily by himself on this, I've gathered several hundred models, some textures, and a few hundred photographs for reference so far.

Here are the builds from last week, I've decided not to post the absolute latest since you have to be pretty quick or you are dead in Tobi's latest test (guy with axe is a real mean bastard).
Carbonated iGhoul

OS X only iGhoul 3D

iGhoul in the Windows

W and S to move back and forth
A and D to strafe
G to pick up the objects
Mouse to look and turn
Click on a person, bon appetite.

Its very very basic at the moment, just this test level to figure out the camera, collision, actions and all that stuff
right now.

The newer version does have nice background music from Carl Orff, better lightning, rain..and of course you can be killed by the guy with the axe. Will post that at a later date after we make it a little easier to live.

I've been working 99% of the time on iGame3D and feeling a little guilty for not backing up Tobi's game in progress, so if you guys are interested on getting underway without re-creating the wheel and pushing boulders up hill, well, I know I'd appreciate the help. Can get you all those assets and a freshly built Editor soon.

Now back to my damp mouldy tomb...I mean re-working the help menu.
Quote:David if it would help I know C+/C++/Java/ASM/Basic/HTML/DHTML/Flash/3d studio max/ and maya...I think I know what I am doing So I can be of help.

It might help to check out my thread at http://www.threedy.com
http://www.threedy.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7041

so..small games I have done, this will prove interesting.

Which small games have you done?

Ok back to the idea itself

Quote:I have an idea that I think will make a good online game. Unfortunatley, I lack the skill to make it, I just have much of the design for it done.

The feasibility of your idea depends almost entirely on whether this is a 3d mmorpg ala Everquest or an online text-based thing like Dominion.
LordViking
Unregistered

Well, the ultimate goal is neither. I don't want first person like Everquest. I could start it out as something simple like text or something, just to get the "rules" of the game going.
LordViking
Unregistered

I like this iGhoul game. What is the eventual goal of it...if possible, is there away we could combine my goals and yours?
So what's the final goal going to look like? If you aren't sure if it's text, 2d, or 3d, it's a good idea to decide before starting on it Rasp

I was thinking a text-only web-page-based game would be best for your project, because then people could just log in once a day to do things, and wouldn't actually have to be walking around in the game world blacksmithing or living 500 years and so on
Quote:Originally posted by LordViking
I like this iGhoul game. What is the eventual goal of it...if possible, is there away we could combine my goals and yours?

Goal? You mean like: Make millions of dollars? Love of Goth girls everywhere? Just to make a game, for the hell of it?
Impressive demo for iGame3D?

Yes, those are the goals.

or the Vampire's goals?
Well I explained the vampire's goals above, at the most basic nature of the thing. It's still in its embryo stage, some unholy inspiration might come from below at some point later.

I see no problem in trying to mix and match some concepts and game play ideas to either create one good game, or two seperate but similiar themed games (someone is working on a vampire hunter game as we speak). Right now I've got documentation brain rot...can't think "creative".

Oh One rule to remember though, in iGhoul, people with crosses are nothing but food and comic relief.
w_reade
Unregistered

Quote:"What a bunch of game programming trolls!"

iGame3d, I'm not trying to troll here, and I don't think anyone else is either. What I think we are trying to do, indirectly and perhaps rather ineptly, is knock the ideas originally described into the "feasible" space rather than the "wildly optimistic" one.

The desired effect has to some extent appeared, since LordViking is now talking about a fairly sensible proof-of-concept size project. lockdown2000 only got bashed because he introduced himself as a programmer (among other things), offered to help, and then revealed himself to be overconfident and ignorant, and in the circumstances we feared that he'd lead LordViking down the garden path with promises that would lead, in the end, only to broken dreams.

Points taken, however; thank you. I'll try to stick to the subject from here on in.

--------

First, I can't really imagine how it'd play yet; what happens when pivotal members of the community (the blacksmith?) are offline? Anyway...

I like the universe, and I like the races; leaving aside the feasibility of dynamic plots and so on, there's a lot of potential for interesting storylines within the framework you described.

One concept that could be interesting is that of "cattle" - humans who the vampires feed from but don't kill. They might be hypnotised and unaware of the situation, or aware but powerless, or they may submit willingly in exchange for something that only the vampires can provide; there might even be some of each type, though I can't imagine why a vampire would allow an unwilling human to know it was happening if it had the power to keep him in the dark.

iGame3d, that was inspired partly by the invincible cow in iGhoul. Do you want to know bugs, gameplay issues, etc here or are you just interested in concept feedback? Let me know if you want gameplay comments, otherwise I'll just say that I like your universe as well; the plot rather reminded me of Blood Omen 2, which is the only Kain series title I've played.
LordViking
Unregistered

Yeah, I had thought of humans as food and nothing more. But the problem is, if the human is a player and they get fed on constantly, they will get angry and not play anymore. If we had plenty of NPC people running around, then that would work just fine.
To address the idea of integral players going offline, I thought about that during dinner tonight. We could have them replaced by an NPC when they're gone. So that the economy could, in esscence, keep going. The NPC that replaced the player can do everything the player can, following a specific set of rules, like a blacksmith NPC will remain in shop all day and night and smith for the duration of time that the player is gone. The player's character will recieve no profit for the blacksmith NPC when the player is offline.
Quote:Originally posted by w_reade
... the plot rather reminded me of Blood Omen 2, which is the only Kain series title I've played.

Blood Omen 2? I mentioned it sounded similar to Blood Omen : Legacy of Kain. In fact, after I read this, I had the sudden urge to play it, and now I'm back at square one. But they have a Blood Omen 2? I thought it just went to Soul Reaver and then Soul Reaver 2. I rather like Soul Reaver and really want to get the second one.... Interesting...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game Idea - "Dreamscape" soundguru 5 8,876 Dec 18, 2011 05:13 PM
Last Post: ipeku
  Idea Needed - Mech Game carmine 25 19,934 Jul 10, 2011 10:30 PM
Last Post: GordonCSA
  Help to make an online text-based rpg game just_gabe 0 4,948 Dec 6, 2009 04:13 PM
Last Post: just_gabe
  Game Idea Wiki Proposal mikey 9 7,022 Jul 22, 2009 10:05 AM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  A CRAZY game idea! stevejohnson 12 8,488 Jan 28, 2006 04:55 AM
Last Post: Marjock