Software for making arcade game noises

Founder
One way I was able to make a CD full of SFX was like this.

I used a SID Player from... the guy who makes emulators. Got a ton of SID and other format (Atari?) from the 80's songs. The player then saves them out as AIFF. I then used a sound editor and made little small and interesting sfx. In the sound editor, I also re-sampled to 16bit since most were 8bit and also went to 44.1kHz. Many cool sweeps, square/saw synths, Again, I didn't sample notes/chords, but little parts of an instrument. Next, I went to SoundHack and ran various DSP effect on my sound. Doing this yielded about 500MB worth of SFX Smile

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
This page (http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/mac/PLUG-INS/) has a number of plugins for the Mac. A few freeware/shareware audio editors handle VST and AudioUnit plugins, so check them out. One to check out is Buzzer:

http://www.alphakanal.de/pub/buzZer.html

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
I used a SID Player from... the guy who makes emulators. Got a ton of SID and other format (Atari?) from the 80's songs.

Excellent idea... this also makes me think that it might be interesting to use a C64 music program on an emulator to make sound effects. I might try that out sometime.

Quote:Doing this yielded about 500MB worth of SFX Smile

Any chance of adding them to the iDevGames resources library...? Wink

Thanks for those other links, by the way. The buzZer page also led me to a program called MidiKeys, which could be very useful for midi-deviceless people like me.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Founder
Any chance of adding my sounds to iDG? Yes, maybe, perhaps. I have around 4 or so CDs full of original SFX. I'm working on a new one during my free time. It has some killer sounds. Like the new "Star Wars ship fly-by sound." Know what I mean? In the early moves ships kind of screetched (spell?) In the not-so good new movies, they have a low-bass sound. Kind of like a rubber tire moving around. I also have created a ton of atmosphere sounds. Good stuff for movies too. Smile

At some point, I want to take out all the sounds we host now, then put them in a library with my off-line sounds. Then create new libraries with logical sets. Then I will upload some and keep some for our future site game asset DVD (for sale)

BTW, I can't recommend enough SFX machine. Click their link here. I superb programs that could pay for itself if you do shareware games.

The SID route is pretty good. So many SID and Atari songs out there. Be careful how you sample, and make sure what you end up with is original enough. That is why I like to "morph" two sounds into one. (I use the word morph but it is a bit trickier than that.) SoundHack is also great, but a bit hard to figure out. Also, when you upsample, also add some extra bass to those sounds. I was able to get some really nice thick/fat bass sounds that way.

Cheers

p.s. Someone bug KinkyBeep dev. to release the code so people can move it to Mac OS X!

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is there a free/cheap game making program for OS X? gamingjustin 13 15,253 Dec 6, 2005 02:15 PM
Last Post: Leisure Suit Lurie
  Game Soundtrack Software BeyondCloister 5 3,912 Aug 26, 2003 09:37 PM
Last Post: Bachus