Warriors of Leuardra screen

Nibbie
http://www.staronesw.com/Leuardra/Screen.gif

This is my latest screenshot from Warriors of Leuardra. Any crits/comments/problems on my art style? (you can walk behind the beams on the porch and out of view behind the house(well it's an inn but I havn't got the sighn done))
Quote this message in a reply
Looks nice Smile
Looking good! Nice details on the timber and around the junction between the foliage and the grass in particular.

You've got a bit of a problem with inconsistent shadow directions, though: the shadow on the side roof seems to come from the left side, but the shadow under the eaves of the main roof is lit from above. Probably the latter is wrong, otherwise you'd have to light both sides of the roof the same way, and that would look boring. You could use a shadow on the ground, too.

I don't think you should use light blue for the windows. The window under the porch looks better in terms of the contrast between the glass and the wall. At the moment the windows appear to be reflecting the sky, which is impossible from this angle.

I like the character - do you have any animations to show yet (apart from the one in your avatar)?

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Matt Brown
Unregistered

Pretty...

You should add some kind of light-distortion, try to make the shingles look a bit more raised... The shadow under the right eave should be larger than the one under the left, NC covered that though... The spot where the lower roof meets the higher one (along the ridgepole) is a bit off-color when compared to the rest...and biggest and baddest of all...the inn itself casts no shadow...

Hmm, Canor's looking wonderful though...I'm looking forward to an Arius sprite...
Nibbie
[Image: Screen2.gif]

OK, I added the sign (I'm working on making is swing a bit), some roses(I like them), fixed the windows and changed some shadows(still working on that). I have about 5 other houses to do and the castle and the shop. I also have to do lots of trees, 12 monsters and 15 NPCs.
That's nicer, but the windows look a bit curved now! Highlighting the bottom right corner makes it looks like it's poking out.

I drew the glass for my buildings like this. I shaded it flatly (you could also use a slight gradient), but I used a drop shadow, and the highlight runs over it to make it look like the shadow is behind the glass. (Not suggesting that my graphics are the pinnacle of perfection or anything, just making a suggestion! Smile)

I forgot to mention this before: there's an orange line running around the edge of the side roof. It looks a bit out of place, has some jaggies on it, and the other roof doesn't have one at all. Maybe you should omit it or make it a darker colour.

Neil Carter
eekaydee
Unregistered

Wow, that looks pretty good!
Looks very nice! Only thing that bothers me is the angle of the house...
eekaydee
Unregistered

Well, before Jabber mentioned anything, it didn't bother me, but now it does Rasp
The house has perspective but the rock path and grass don't, so it's inconsistent.
A lot of games are like that though, and I usually just ignore it.

Your webpage mentions that the tiles are now 4x bigger than before...meaning you released this game before? If so, where can I find it?
Nibbie
Yes, I made a small preview of Leuardra a few months ago. I never quite finished it but it did win a small Metal programming contest. The contest had harsh restrictions(6 sounds, 1 256*256px picture) so it wasn't what I wanted for uDG. I am in the process of reprogramming it from scratch using 32*32px tiles and 32*48(average human) sprites. Sprites can be any reasonable size though(dragons Rasp)

In case anyone is interested though, http://www.staronesw.com/Leuardra/Leuard...01.0.3.sit
The roses are really hard to see. I had to search for a couple of minutes before I could even find them. They also look like they're plastered flat against the inn. I suggest moving them away from the inn some (just move them down some) and increasing their brightness so they stand out more. You might also want to increase their size some.

Also, the chimney looks a bit odd, like it doesn't really fit in with the roof. You might try moving it down and to the left some, and then you could add a shadow on the roof for it. That'll probably help things.

Old Pixelation habits die hard.
eekaydee
Unregistered

Awesome!!
Wow that is cool! I've been working on my game for almost a year and your little preview kicks my game's butt! I'm serious, the graphics are better, and it has a story, and I like the wavy tiltle screen!
Shock I guess I waste my time implementing unimportant things, and never get around to making the acutal game...
Quote:Originally posted by Joseph Duchesne
In case anyone is interested though, http://www.staronesw.com/Leuardra/Leuard...01.0.3.sit

I'd like to take a look at that, but after the title screen it stops, giving me a message which reads: "? TextFont: can't find a font with that name". Any idea which font it's looking for?

Neil Carter
Quote:Originally posted by NCarter
I'd like to take a look at that, but after the title screen it stops, giving me a message which reads: "? TextFont: can't find a font with that name". Any idea which font it's looking for?

JD, Stick with the system font if you using metal, we all know how bad METAL is at handling fonts (at least half METAL games first release on versiontracker have plenty of bad reviews due to the font problem crashing their system)
Nibbie
OK, I thought times and Techno were standard but they probably arn't in every culture, country and language. I may include a free font or two with the program or make my own font to include.