What graphic apps do people use for sprite creation?

I just found this link:
http://www.seektech.ca/pixeleditor/

Sadly, it looks like the developer hasn't updated it since February 2002. Dan, perhaps you might want to try contacting this person for the programming assistance which you mentioned needing.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Originally posted by gatti
I just found this link:
http://www.seektech.ca/pixeleditor/

Sadly, it looks like the developer hasn't updated it since February 2002. Dan, perhaps you might want to try contacting this person for the programming assistance which you mentioned needing.

I've seen that. Its not much of a sprite editor.

I would except:

(a) I'm coding it in RealBasic.
(b) It doesn't do anything mine doesn't.

The hardest part to add will be selection tools.

Maybe I should learn Cocoa, eh?
Before I mention a couple tool-based features that would be highly beneficial to future builds of your app, please keep in mind that I haven't had the opportunity to fully demo all the aspects of your current version. I'm thinking it needs to have the capabilities of visual creation with both vector and (traditional) pixel tools. Here is a tools list:

Pixel Tools
  • Pencil
  • Brush
  • Eraser
  • Airbrush
  • Area-based selection tool
Pixel tools also need the attributes for adjusting width, alpha fall-off, and opacity.

Vector Tools
  • Rectangle box, Circle, Star
  • Pen with bezier manipulation, Add Point, Subtract Point, combine Points
  • Arrow for selecting vector objects
Vector objects also need the attributes for adjusting Line width/color, Fill color/gradient.

Here is a list of general features:
  • If the user needs to change from an individual sprite to a tiled sequence, the user should have easy capabilities to do so.
  • There should be at least 5 steps of undo.
  • The user should be able to have two windows for the same file (one set at 100%, and the other customizable up to 600%)
  • Files up to 1024x1024 should be editable.
  • "Smart grid system" for tiled animation. (User types in the pixel dimensions of largest sprite graphic/frame and the app sets up accurate grids/guides throughout the entire file.)
  • The color palette always needs to be viewable
  • Needs to save in its own proprietary format and export to Targa 32bit, PNG, JPG, TIFF, PICT
  • If "Smart grid system" is being used, the user can choose to copy all objects/information in ColumnA Row3 to ColumnB Row 3. (This will allow pixel percision accuracy.)

ProRattaFactor
I am okay til you hit vector tools. I am not at that point yet. The rest of the list seems feasible. Patience, please.
Founder
Interesting news from Tim C. on the Mac-Game Dev list is that he is working on a 2D sprite image/editor/animator/engine. Or something like that. It sounds very very cool. I asked him to send me more details.

I hope that Daniel_Lurie and Gatti can work on Daniel_Lurie's EPaint for the Mac. (EPaint comes after DPaint) Wink

I suggest that Gatti get screen grabs of Dpaint (Daniel has them) and makes new slick button tool icons. (ie what I was gonna do but it seems beyond my busy schedule)

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Go, Tim C.

I am coding this out of desparation and would be happy to step aside if a more capable programmer could deliver the goods.

If not, I will keep plodding on.
Go onto versionTracker and look up GraphicConverter. It does batch operations et al.

And for a bit more money (but still 2% of the cost of my Mac) Photoshop Elements. I use both.

You can test the animation with your own game engine.

Visit http://www.theDailyGrind.net for your recommended daily intake of embittered satire.
The latest version of GraphicConverter (released today) finally has keyboard shortcuts for the tools, which should just about make it usable as a sprite editor. The animation tools are still inadequate, though. If it had a window showing all the frames in the current animation and support for some animation format other than GIF, it could become quite useful.

I wonder if the author would be interested it adding those features. Maybe we should contact him....

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Just checked out the Painter demo. As I remembered, Painter does have animation tools. Pretty good ones, too.

$400 though.

WebPainter is pretty cheap on EBay.
Nibbie
I use 3D programs for sprite editing, ie: lightwave, however Infini-D is still good and very cheap!

The advantage of using a 3D program is you just make an animation where teh sprite rotates 360 or whatever, then it renders to a series of pics or jpegs or whatever you want!
Any future games I make will definitely incorporate that technique! The amount of paper that I've used for ElBallo so far is at least 2,000 sheets of various sizes. Next game-based project (that I work on) I just want conceptual drawings (characters, landscapes, level layout, model sheets, and storyboards) on paper. All animation and stage-based object design will be created in some 3-D app. (Most likely Hash. In a few months it'll be OS X native.)

I wish I had some kind of 3-d scanner. Then I'd just sculpt characters by hand and scan them in!

ProRattaFactor
Nibbie
heres the poor man's 3D scanner teqnique (works well for the price)

Sculpt your character or get ahold of it somehow.

Get ahold of a polygon-at-a-time capable 3D modeler (ie : meshwork, lightave, etc)

Get ahold of (and this is the pricey bit, the others should be free) a pen ($.65 USD)

Sraw the polygons on your clay model or whatever, put points on the bits that stick out and connect the points with lines that run through the bits that stick in, do as much or as little detail you want. Then just reproduce it on the computer (I like to take pictures of the drawn-upon model from top, left, back views and use them as background templates) its easy to recreate your models this way (soon IU will get my brother to let me draw the lines on his face so I can model a head, it will take some convincing and probably lots of alcahol =-) )
Another cheap approach:
Take a front, left, back, and top photo of face or character. Bring the photos into most 3-d apps. Use them as reference during model build-out. Depending on skill level of modeler, complexity of character, and familiarity with software, model time should be between 30 minutes ---> countless hours ZZZ

ProRattaFactor
Pre-rendered 3d sprites are certainly fast and easy to do, but usually end up looking like crap. Give me a good hand-pixelled sprite any day of the week.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Donkey Kong Country and many other SNES and Genesis games incorporated that technique. Their games still look great.

I on the other hand with still want to continue a cartoon-like feel in any future games and will most likely render with cartoon shaders with a nice solid black outline.

ProRattaFactor

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2D graphics creation ferum 13 7,923 Mar 5, 2008 03:29 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  2D image creation? BinarySpike 8 4,970 Jul 27, 2005 05:31 PM
Last Post: Buzzboy_109
  Software for sprite and web content creation TGallagher 12 7,005 Jan 13, 2005 06:35 PM
Last Post: Josh
  Font creation. Shivers 6 3,892 Oct 5, 2003 09:16 PM
Last Post: Shivers