art help

AREM
Unregistered

does anyone know any program I can use to draw stuff besides graphic conveter, adobe illistrator, or adobe photoshop, that is cheap? and it has to be able to make pict files.

thanxCool
Quote this message in a reply
The GIMP? (I'd post the link, but the site appears to have been replaced with a protest against EU patent law...)
By the way, The GIMP is free.

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
I don't know what you would call "cheap" but Photoshop Elements can be found for $53 at Amazon.
AREM
Unregistered

I think I'll just use photoshop, you have to practically make the GIMP by yourself and I don't really want to spend money, plus I already have photoshop.
i'm not an x11 master by any means, but i found it possible to get Gimp working splendidly with minimal hassle. it does take a couple of hours to get everything set up just right but there are plenty of low-complexity walkthroughs if you're ok with doing a bit of googling. i'd recommend Gimp for anyone but the computer novice.
Quote:Originally posted by AREM
I think I'll just use photoshop, you have to practically make the GIMP by yourself and I don't really want to spend money, plus I already have photoshop.

You own photoshop and your asking for a new editor!!!

We need a smily face that is being choked... this will have to do for now Wow
Quote:Originally posted by AREM

Download Apple's X11, the Fink and Fink Commander. The Gimp is very powerful. Also, very un-Mac like. Its not really PC-like, either. But, if you need to do things on the cheap...
AREM
Unregistered

the reason we have photoshop and illistrator is because the computer we have was used by an artist. and effects come with it.
i could not find any choking smilies

this is the closest i could find (if they allow remote-linking)

[Image: angry-smiley-038.gif]
AREM
Unregistered

erazorhead,

I think it was a joke, because photoshop is hundreds of dollars.
eekaydee
Unregistered

Why were you reluctant to use Photoshop? Huh
AREM
Unregistered

I hadn't really tried it yet.
Photoshop is an industry standard. It doesn't get much better.
Quote:Originally posted by jabber
Photoshop is an industry standard. It doesn't get much better.

Totally depends on what you're trying to do, I mean Photoshop aint good at pixelling for example.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Quote:Originally posted by ERaZer
Totally depends on what you're trying to do, I mean Photoshop aint good at pixelling for example.

How is Photoshop not good at creating pixel art? It's primarily a raster-based program. A user can have multiple views of actual size and zoomed-in size for editing of sprites.

If a person also needed extreme control over transparency within sprites, Photoshop exports in practically every industry standard format. (e.g. Targa 32bit)

Since your need is PICT format, you can probably find many "classic" and OS X freeware/shareware graphic apps at http://www.download.com

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)