Which method of saving in an RPG do you prefer?

eekaydee
Unregistered

Quote:You never know when the player might have to turn the game off. He'll hate you if you force him to replay a part of the game just because he couldn't save.

Yeah. Temporary saves would solve this. They could save but wouldn't be able to repeatedly start from the file.

Quote:If they're that desperate to cheat, let them! You don't need to police the player's behaviour, you're just trying to help them to get the best out of the game.
Yeah I guess so. I'm just afraid that if they cheat they will ruin the game for themselves and stop playing. (and not pay me for it Grin)
Quote this message in a reply
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Allow the player to save anywhere. Save points in games like CT, Super Mario RPG, Breath of Fire 2, etc are annoying.

Quote:Originally posted by Nevada
Anyone ever play the PSX game Legend of the Dragoon? Arguable one of the best RPG's out there and probably the best on PSX. I've never really played RPG's at all until I played that one. Anyway, it's method of using save-points worked quite well. You just have to make sure you place them strategically.

ChronoCross was the best RPG on the PSX. LotD got only a 6.7 on gamespot while CC got a perfect 10.
komodo
Unregistered

I much prefer save points. Not only does it make the game more challenging, the save points are like another reward for getting farther.
Again about the save points, I played Super Mario Bro's 3 on a NES emulator which allows saving anywhere. I actually beat it, but only because I would quicksave at any point I was having trouble with and if I died, just quickload and there I was again. It probably did ruin a lot of the fun, but it just goes to show how gamers sometimes can't resist save anywhere type of things. Which is why I prefer save points if I was going to make an RPG.
eekaydee
Unregistered

Well, so far there have been 12 votes for save anywhere and 11 for save points. I myself think allowing the player to save anywhere makes the game either too easy or too repetitive if the player continously dies and starts right before a boss or something. So I guess I will go with a mix between the two.
Save-anywhere-points?
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

LOL. Make sure that your game is still hard though. Save points were there to make the game harder, but anytime-saving eases the game.
eekaydee
Unregistered

The reason why save points can be annoying is that sometimes the player can't find a save point nearby and has to quit.
If I allow saving anywhere, the player might save right before a boss and fight him until he gets lucky.

Saving anywhere but returning to checkpoints? Or like dragon warrior, where you can warp back to the last save point?
hello name
Unregistered

You might try using a combination of NCarter's idea and the traditional save points. The item used for saving anywhere might be destroyed when it's used, but obtainable at appropriate shops (with a limited stock, maybe), or its uses could be recharged at any (or specific) save points, perhaps at some cost. In either case, any player should have some option available for saving if he or she must quit unexpectedly, and the gamer inclined to save extremely often will have some restrictions.
If you'd prefer players not use the save anywhere device immediately before fighting a boss, perhaps you could claim that the device will simply fail to function in such close proximity to a creature of great power, or something of the sort.
eekaydee
Unregistered

Hrmm..yes...Grin
Thanks for the idea!
jellyfish_green
Unregistered

Hmm.. A "magic lantern" comes to mind. You can only buy magic oil for it in the towns. And it has the additional benefit of casting a slight glow, which explains why you can still see your character or party in a pitch black swamp.

I'd have to vote for "save anywhere"
- I really don't like platform jumping, and if I get lucky once I NEVER want to have to go through a very tricky platform section again. Repeated failures are frustrating, passing once then dying somewhat later and having to go through more repeated failures is worse, and sometimes I've abandoned games for this. You may think the boss might be worth putting a save-point near, but for me it would be just after the platforms. People don't always think like the designer.
- XCOM had save-anywhere but the actual restore process was more complex, you couldn't restore games in the battle screen, only at the start or strategy screen. This makes the player less likely to fall into the reload cycle but still allows you to save immediately when interrupted.
- AvP gave a certain number of saves per level, more if you had the "Easy" setting on and less if you had the "Hard" setting on. Good for level-based games. I would find myself reattempting the level if I underestimated the size and used my saves too early, so in-game hints might be nice too. "Hmm.. A forboding cave... It might be worth marking this location on the Magic Map..."
I like the way the Final Fantasy games (7-9) approach saving. When you're in a town or specific location, you can only save at specific spots. However, when you are in route "globally" to other places, you can save anywhere/anytime.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
Nibbie
heres what i think:

save points sucks, and besides, who wants a linear RPG.

save in one place? who has teh itme to waste.

Save anytime? then every player will just keep saving before every battle until they can beat the game due to lucky dice rolls and no skill, so that sucks.

MY PROPOSED PLAN! Let the player accumulate save points as they fight, maybe every 3 succesful battles or every 40km ofterrain passed tehy get another point. Then , they are always accuumulating save points, but not forced to use them in the set places. they can save whenever they want to quit, but they can't use it to luck-their-way-through like NWN and they don't have to wait for hours to reach a point before going to stop teh baby drinking bleach, or whatever else babies do while I play RPGs Smile
One option is to allow the player to save anywhere, possibly with a limited number of save slots.

However, each save game file is ID'd and each time you reload the save game after the 1st (or 2nd if you're feeling forgiving) use, you flag that save file as 'decaying' (with the decay data stored elsewhere). When a save file 'decays' you can either just make it unusable after 5 restores, or be nastier and have it 'lose' items from the players inventory, or have the player become more and more ill (lose hp) each restore.

You'd also have to implement a check so that the player can't save again if none of the stats (or significant location) have changed. Otherwise they'd just load and quickly save a new 'clean' save file Wink
I'm playing Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga RPG on the GBA right now (er... well, not RIGHT now) and it is a blast. It has an option for a "sleep" function, which works like a temporary save for when you have to run and stop the baby from drinking the bleach Rolleyes but otherwise it uses save blocks like in Super Mario RPG for SNES. The save blocks come often enough that I never really have to look around to find one when I want/need to stop playing, but they serve as a good reminder to save. This is especially useful before/after a boss: a player may not know they are about to hit a boss and so they may not save and then they die and then they have to go waay back to the last saved point. Or they may somehow forget to save after killing a boss, and then if they die they need to defeat the boss again. Having the save block there is a quick and easy way to remind a player to save here, and I don't find it cumbersome in the least while playing MLSSRPG (erm, or whatever the acronym should be).

BTW, I voted for save points but I do like the idea of a limited, rechargable save-anywhere device. And also of a (limited, rechargable?) decaying save-anywhere device.