Which method of saving in an RPG do you prefer?

eekaydee
Unregistered

I might want to do temporary saves, but people would not expect that on a computer, where you can duplicate files.
Quote this message in a reply
Save anytime at any church
'save anywhere if no enemies within player's field of vision'?

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Just a thought:

Give the player a device (call it a magic artifact or miniature time machine or something) which allows them to save anywhere, but can only be used a certain number of times before it needs recharging. That would allow the player to save where they want but would stop them from doing it all the time.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Hog
save anywhere, but be put back to certain start locations
I hate games in general that lets you save anywhere and anytime(and you don't get back to the latest checkpoint or whatever) since it often makes the game very easy(like in very many FPSs, you can just save every 5 seconds and therefore complete a level, not becouse your good(my cousin always does that))

For RPGs, save points or autosave at certain checkpoints...

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Quote:Originally posted by ERaZer
I hate games in general that lets you save anywhere and anytime(and you don't get back to the latest checkpoint or whatever) since it often makes the game very easy(like in very many FPSs, you can just save every 5 seconds and therefore complete a level, not becouse your good(my cousin always does that))

Reasons why limited saving may be a bad thing:
  • It can be boring to have to repeatedly replay an area if you get killed every time you reach the boss (although I quite like the way Final Fantasy lets you keep the experience you had when you died so you at least get to level up in the process).
  • Not everyone is a hardcore gamer prepared to sit for hours struggling against one area. If you want to allow the average gamer to enjoy the whole game you should give them the freedom to save frequently. If they want to save every five seconds, that's their choice.
If you only provide one save slot, there is actually a penalty for saving too often: if you screw up, you may find that you've saved your mistake and can't get out of it!

Neil Carter
Go battle-toads style, and don't let anyone save AT ALL on one of the hardest games there is!

Mad

Go with save points, but don't make them too far away, there's nothing worse than a parent saying "Its time to go!" when you can't find a place to save.
jamie
Unregistered

Quote: Give the player a device (call it a magic artifact or miniature time machine or something) which allows them to save anywhere, but can only be used a certain number of times before it needs recharging. That would allow the player to save where they want but would stop them from doing it all the time.

I like this idea, it combines the best of save anywhere but makes it something that still needs to be watched closely and not abused by the player.
Anybody play Super Mario RPG? Yeah, they got those little save blocks in towns and inns. Now THAT was one of the greatest RPG ever. (Next to Earthbound and Chrono Trigger of course) 80 bucks for the friggin' cartridge back then. Worth every penny Cool
Hog
Quote:Originally posted by NCarter
Not everyone is a hardcore gamer prepared to sit for hours struggling against one area. If you want to allow the average gamer to enjoy the whole game you should give them the freedom to save frequently.

i don't think when you fequently have to save and restore you get very much fun out of a game. it would be better to introduce an easier difficulty level for those who can't do any better, or they should go play a different game otherwise.
eekaydee
Unregistered

Quote:autosave at certain checkpoints...
Yeah, but players will just duplicate the save files.

Quote:If you only provide one save slot, there is actually a penalty for saving too often: if you screw up, you may find that you've saved your mistake and can't get out of it!
Works on console games, but again, players will just duplicate the save files.

Saving anywhere but going back to checkpoints sounds good. So does NCarter's idea of limited save anywhere.
Anyone ever play the PSX game Legend of the Dragoon? Arguable one of the best RPG's out there and probably the best on PSX. I've never really played RPG's at all until I played that one. Anyway, it's method of using save-points worked quite well. You just have to make sure you place them strategically.
Quote:Originally posted by eekaydee
Yeah, but players will just duplicate the save files.

If they're that desperate to cheat, let them! You don't need to police the player's behaviour, you're just trying to help them to get the best out of the game.

Neil Carter
I like Knights of the Old Republic's save scheme. You can save at any time unless you're in the middle of a cutscene, dialogue, or battle. Plus, the game autosaves during area transitions if it's been 15 minutes since the last autosave.

You never know when the player might have to turn the game off. He'll hate you if you force him to replay a part of the game just because he couldn't save.