Traditional 2-D character animation in video games

Here is a URL to the presentation "Traditional 2-D character animation in video games" that I gave at the New Jersey Chapter IGDA meeting on August 16.

http://www.prorattafactor.com/lessons/

When you have a chance...give it a whirl.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
Quote this message in a reply
You only need to post in 1 of the forums...
the forum wasn't posting the topic "real-time" so I decided to try it in another area.

ProRattaFactor
Luminary
That's a Safari bug. Just press reload.
Nice work.

I used a similar technique back when I tried to enter an atom films contest that never came to be. It's was a flash film that got halted halfway through the first episode when the contest evaporated. Check it out, if you like.

I went from scan through Steamline to Flash.

I could never get a webcam to give me a decent enough picture, so I used my scanner on a very low setting to get my pencil test.

$130 for Adobe Streamline and they haven't updated it in years. Someone should really give it an overhaul. It's basic functionality is still really useful, but the interface is horrid.

If you can get used to it, Painter is decent for pencil testing... except you can't adjust the framerate while you are working on it... You have to render to Quicktime. It's funny, because the whole Painter animation interface hasn't changed since Painter 3. So, it plays like 500 fps or something... heh.

Of course, to use a program like painter you need a big Wacom tablet and that is expensive.

That does give you an all digital solution if that is helpful. (There are other cool tools like Toon Boom Studio, too)

For detailed accurate animation, nothing beats sharp graphite.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
Very nice...Great multi-pan work. The animation is also very sweet. I especially like the close-up of her face as she runs and looks around.

I've heard a lot about Toon Boom Studio and it's compositing features. It's also more geared for short films than Flash MX (which I currently have a license for).

When I finish my current project and have some open time, I'm hoping to play test the functionality of Toon Boom and perhaps use it for a short film "The Jackinator" which is already passed its animatic stage. However, it might be at least two months until I have that "open time".

Thanks again for your compliment.

ProRattaFactor
I really hosed myself using flash with... subanimations.

In other words, I'd make one animated loop and then use that loop as a layer in the bigger animation. It's the best way to do things from an organizational standpoint, BUT Flash does NOT always synch them.

If you output to Quicktime, forget it. Any subanimations come out as stills.

Toon Boom handles these things perfectly. You can output to Quicktime at IMAX resolution if you want and it will all be perfectly synched and anti-aliased.

Plus, all the multilayering in Flash that I labored on could have been done super easily in Toon Boom, it has a 3D multiplaner. It's got a nice lip-synching utility. Automatically does your timing sheet with every letter. It even has vectorizing on par with Adobe Streamline.

Only problem is they have been dog slow with the Mac update to 2.0 and there are some things you'll miss from Flash if you draw directly in the app.

All in all, Toon Boom is aimed at traditional animators, so it is less cluttered with things you don't need for animation.

Unfortunately, I have found no good way to export all of my old flash animation into toonboom in a usable way and it's all because of the stupid subanimations! Otherwise, I probably would have finished that episode in Toon Boom. As it is, I bought the program more than a year ago and I've barely used it! Sad

BTW, once you hook an animation to a peg and set it up for a 3D move in Toon Boom, it will be hard to go back to Flash for traditional animation.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  3D Art/Animation for your games Vercetty 1 3,185 Sep 7, 2007 08:47 AM
Last Post: skyhawk