Using white as transparent color

Quote:Originally posted by Joseph Duchesne
I've been using macs for 10 years and every one I've seen has
alt
Option on it.

Maybe I'm imagining it, then.

[Looks again]

Nope, it still says alt on mine. Rasp

If you want to be technical, it says alt in small letters at the top (like yours) but has that funny symbol which means 'option' underneath (the one that appears on menus).

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
(way off topic)

For those of you who have never used a computer outside of your own country: There exists more than one keyboard layout in the wide world. In fact, there are a whole bunch.

There are three common keyboard forms, ANSI [US] (for full sized keyboards, this used to be called "101 key", a few years ago Microsoft added their own keys though), ISO [Europe] ("102 key"), and JIS [Japan] ("106 key").

Then, for each form, there are any number of different layouts where labels are assigned to keys depending which characters are needed most in that country. For instance, on a US keyboard there are no accented characters; you use dead keys (option-u+u for an umlauted u, for example.) But the majority of European layouts have accented characters directly available as a single key. Punctuation is also shifted around. (There are other options for accented characters on Windows. The AltGr modifier key, or the incredibly inconvenient Alt+numpad sequence.)

All of the above assumes a layout derived from QWERTY. On top of that, there is the Dvorak keyboard and a whole set of international flavors.

For some quick pics:
http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/eprebel/M...Keyboards/
(old OS 9 layouts on a Mac ISO keyboard.)

And naturally the Mac layouts and Windows layouts are different:
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/refer...oards.aspx
(Site does not work in Safari.)
Sage
(back on topic)

LongJumper--

Why not make life easy on yourself, and use transparent as transparent, instead of white. Get your programmer to figure out how alpha channels work.
Quote:Originally posted by applekid
Check the new keyboards on the G5 and eMacs (and basically any new desktop Mac). It might be changed on that one. This new keyboard has an over-sized esc key. I *think* I might have seen the option-less alt key on that kind of keyboard.

I knew I saw that keyboard somewhere...

http://homepage.mac.com/rogiermulder/PhotoAlbum11.html

The first time I saw it was when I was playing with the G5 at CompUSA. I originally came to just buy a Logitech MX700 mouse Grin
wow that keyboard would piss me off. whose idea was it to break the left shift key in half and make the inner half into a key you never use.

or is that one not american
Sage
That keyboard is an ISO keyboard. The Shift key is smaller, and there is one extra key there.

Or couldn't you tell, by the larger return key, and the Euro symbol on the 2 key? Smile

As to whose idea it was... well, let's just say that pretty much only the USA and Canada are using the ANSI keyboard. We are the minority. Much like inches and miles.
Quote:Originally posted by applekid
I knew I saw that keyboard somewhere...

http://homepage.mac.com/rogiermulder/PhotoAlbum11.html
Look, look! My option key looks like that! Wow

Hey, that keyboard has an extra function key. Weird.

Quote:Originally posted by erazorhead
wow that keyboard would piss me off. whose idea was it to break the left shift key in half and make the inner half into a key you never use.

'Key you never use'?! It's the Quake console key!

This thread is so off topic now. Maybe I should break it up and move bits of it into Free Talk.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Quote:Originally posted by arekkusu
That keyboard is an ISO keyboard. The Shift key is smaller, and there is one extra key there.

Or couldn't you tell, by the larger return key, and the Euro symbol on the 2 key? Smile

Not quite. The layout may be different, but the key sizes are the same. Even the fact the plastic bottom is now a 180∞ surface and flat without any extensions for tilting the keyboard.

It's the Apple Pro Keyboard replacement. Featured with the G5s and eMacs. You'd expect you'd get an aluminum keyboard with a G5.