how many people would be interested in a Cocoa networking framework?

I'm all warm and fuzzy from the tremendous response the community has given me over CB. While progress continues on making CB what I set out to make it, I'm planning ahead to the next thing. And, with all my experience with networking for hydraMUD, I wonder if the community would benefit from a Cocoa networkng framework that's as easy to understand as CB.Huh

So how about it? how many of you all would want something like that?

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Quote this message in a reply
Im surprised in the poll, I want it Smile
I [Image: heart.gif] trying to make networking easier!
Luminary
Uh, anyone who's ever looked at the CFSocket API is in the last camp, anyone who's even vaguely interested in cross-platform stuff is in the second-to-last camp. I'm not really surprised at the reaction.

If you were wrapping BSD sockets the vote might go slightly differently, but they're so easy they barely need wrapping...
Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
Uh, anyone who's ever looked at the CFSocket API is in the last camp, anyone who's even vaguely interested in cross-platform stuff is in the second-to-last camp. I'm not really surprised at the reaction.

If you were wrapping BSD sockets the vote might go slightly differently, but they're so easy they barely need wrapping...

CFSockets use BSD sockets. they just provide a little bit of extra functionality.

Still, I think having a single solution to send chat, send game events and states, broadcast rendezvous services, auto connect, handle string encoding/decoding, handle object and message serialization, share persistant states and objects, etc. would be of interest to people.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Nibbie
kelvin,

i think it would be a valuable library. there is OpenPlay
i think, which is cross-platform, but i don't think it
is written in Cocoa....

kevin
OpenPlay seems to be dead, it hasn't been updated in like a year except for some Rendevous stuff.

But this idea appears to have been done to some extent:

http://www.idevgames.com/content/download.php?id=446

-Jon
Forget networking. Do with sound what you did with 2D graphics!
Quote:Originally posted by geezusfreeek
Forget networking. Do with sound what you did with 2D graphics!
Ok, if I go the sound route, do you think I should do CoreAudio or QuickTime? or maybe some hybrid of the two?

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Luminary
FMOD's the kind of library you want to end up with... use whatever technology you need to get there... probably both CoreAudio and QuickTime.
I'd like a sound library to support lots of effects. I want Doppler effect, reverb, echos, pitch shifting, equalizer controls. All possible with today's computers. Just look at what Reason does realtime.

Also if it had it's own MIDI synth instead of using QuickTime, that would be better. QuickTime Instruments are low quality.

I'd also want it to support individual loading/disposing of sounds. None of that do-it-all-at-once that SoundTerrain had at first.

And that other regular stuff. I'll think of more requests. ;-)

-Jon
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Camacho mentioned something about realtime SFX processing on another thread once. A framework like this would actually be very good for newbies wanting to do things like echoes or maybe even like aarku said...the Doppler effect. something like that would be great in a high speed game. Something like that could add a very cinematic feel to it if the graphics were done properly, etc.

Like aarku, I'd prefer just a simple easy to use framework with alot of availible effects. Or, basic effects and lots of options. Or sound objects with all the options, and properties attached to them. Sorta, uh, Director style, eh Kelvin? (CocoaBlitz was Shockwave easy; CocoaEcho should be the same)

Very good idea. I like the sound of it.
Quote:Originally posted by AJ Infinity
I like the sound of it.
har har LOL

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Any plans for this yet?
Anything happening with this?

-Jon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  MMORPG. Well under way. Need to hire Experienced People ebizcraftsman 0 2,821 Dec 31, 2009 07:56 AM
Last Post: ebizcraftsman
  How many people here are interested in Unity? gatti 51 17,595 Oct 17, 2005 06:11 AM
Last Post: NCarter
  The making of THE MMORPG (looking for people with skills) DigitalMindz 34 12,541 Oct 9, 2005 03:44 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson