Bjoernke Gods game

Founder
Quote:I am at the start of developing a rounds based strategy game for the uDevGame contest. I already have very clear thoughts about what I need, but I am also open for your ideas. The game is about gods. You play a god who wants to gather as many universes as possible under your reign. To achieve that you can battle the other gods using wonders and angels/devils, or you could trade with them. the Game is played on a grid of universes (for example 50x50).

What I was thinking is rather than universes, you call them "planes".

For gods, you could stick to ones that people know, for example...
Aphrodite:
Apollo:
Ares:
Artemis:
Athene:
Demeter:
Dionysos:
Hades:
Hephaistos:
Hera:
Hermes:
Hestia:
Persephone:
Poseidon:
Zeus:

Looking at each god (putting any gaming system's stats of the gods aside. ie this god is stronger than that god), the above list is interesting as each god/ess had strengths and weaknessess and spheres of operation. ie Hades in hell. etc

I think if you want a character doing FMV, then you will have a hard time getting an artist (not too mention having a large download) My approach would be to have a "glyph" or symbol for each god, and make it rotate. At some point, replace them with little avatars of those gods.

If you could take the idea of Populus, without all the work (ie slim it down) and have lots of gods, that would be neat. Perhaps in such a game, "planes" would be simply replaced by cities/populations and gaming would be a little like "Magic - the Gathering"

As I said, feel free to split the thread so we can talk more about Gods and such.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
look at this thread for more Information regarding my game.

Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
What I was thinking is rather than universes, you call them "planes".
Well i am undecided on the name of the universes/planes/spheres the icon will probably be a little cloud so it could also be called mist or cloud or so.

Quote:For gods, you could stick to ones that people know, for example...[b]
Why? I like foreign gods, and having gods that no one know will increase the personal attachment to them.

Quote:[b]Looking at each god (putting any gaming system's stats of the gods aside. ie this god is stronger than that god), the above list is interesting as each god/ess had strengths and weaknessess and spheres of operation. ie Hades in hell. etc
All gods are equal. Also each god has multiple spheres/universes thus they won't get their own environment besides in the movies.

Quote:I think if you want a character doing FMV, then you will have a hard time getting an artist (not too mention having a large download) My approach would be to have a "glyph" or symbol for each god, and make it rotate. At some point, replace them with little avatars of those gods.
Maybe. I think that short films will be ok as the rest of the game won't take more then 5 MB compressed. Also a glyph is too abstract I need something whit which the player can associate a feeling (i.e.: Argh, this bastard attacked me again without warning!)

Quote:If you could take the idea of Populus, without all the work (ie slim it down) and have lots of gods, that would be neat. Perhaps in such a game, "planes" would be simply replaced by cities/populations and gaming would be a little like "Magic - the Gathering"
What now populous or magic? I actually planned to have my own gameplay, and not copy something Smile
About lots of gods: there will be one player module and one AI but five different gods (if everything works out as I planned). The player can then choose to have a distribution he likes (i.e. 2 players 3 AIs) naturally it will be possible to later (after uDevGames) have more AIs, players and gods. Maybe another player could feature a hellish design instead of a divine one, or even be about gardener who battle using slugs over grass patchs. I intend to keep the framework open for such things. maybe you can make your greek glyph gods as an addition to the game then?
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
For gods, you could stick to ones that people know, for example...
Aphrodite:
Apollo:
Ares:
Artemis:
Athene:
Demeter:
Dionysos:
Hades:
Hephaistos:
Hera:
Hermes:
Hestia:
Persephone:
Poseidon:
Zeus:

Enough with the greeks.

Baldur
Frey
Loki
Odin
Thor
Tyr

...to name a few. But, especially Thor.
How about these?

Marin
Daniel
Dr. Light
Jake
Camacho
LOL

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Luminary
Quote:Originally posted by Dr. Light
How about these?

Marin
Daniel
Dr. Light
Jake
Camacho
LOL

ahem?
Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
ahem?

OK. So, now we have:

Marin
Daniel
Dr. Light
Jake
Camacho
Ahem

Looking good.
Azrael
Bael
Apophos
Cthulhu
Azathoth
Spazmodeus
Founder
Not sure if he needs names of gods. Maybe just our ideas for gameplay. Smile

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I already told you that I have 5 (FIVE) gods planned currently and one is already zeus, so names are no problem whatsoever Smile

In fact I have already so much planned that input is always filtered by simplicity (easier to implement then what I already got) and coolness (funnier/more impressive then what I got)
Its kinda hard to give me any advise at all Wink

But if there are questions I will gladly answer anything, or tell you why I think that my ideas are better then yours!
Quote:Originally posted by Bjoernke
But if there are questions I will gladly answer anything, or tell you why I think that my ideas are better then yours!

BAHAHA!!!

Ok tell me why zeus is better than cthulhu?
damn I know why, you arlready have a mollusk god of your own.

And you have an azathoth from what I can reckon.

Hope this moves smoothly for you. I want to see how it turns out. And of course dig through your .rev file when you are done.
If you tell me how the poor artist should draw a god which renders you insane by looking at him, then (and only then) will I consider chtullu to be part of the initial 5 gods!
But if you absolutely need chtullu then just make an add-on when I release the framework for god add-ons.
Quote:Originally posted by Bjoernke
If you tell me how the poor artist should draw a god which renders you insane by looking at him, then (and only then) will I consider chtullu to be part of the initial 5 gods!

Put a placeholder graphic which instructs the player to act insane anyway while waiting for the poor artist to finish the rendition.
I refuse to answer that Rasp

But I got some more detail on the game:

Its a turn based game where you play a god. There are basically two game features: you can battle to gain new universes, or you can negotiate for different assets. For example: Trade routes, universes, military cease fire's and more. There are 3 different military units. I decided on angels/devils and wonders, but am undecided about the third force (probably incarnations). The game is played on a grid of universes for example 50x50. I tought a universe could be visualised by a small cloud. or maybe a small globe/earth. Each universe can produce only one asset once per turn: military units 1, 2 or 3, trade routes, spy asset. the spying is currently on hold to keep the feature set small. so there are actually only four different universes. The different military units are equal strong, but cancel each other out in a scissor, paper, stone way.
For the first version I am trying to get at least one AI done. The game is modular, which means that the player can choose himself what setup to play: 2 player and 3 AIs or 1 player 4 AIs etc. Later (after udevgames) I am planning to develop a client for network play and maybe even a play by mail version. Also different versions of AI and user contributions will be possible.
But until then there is only a need for exactly five gods. Each god needs a visual representation during negotiation or battles. During negotiation I would like to have films, for example zeus showing a paper to the camera and then sitting down.
However this is probably not possible due to space limitations and the time commitment of the artist (Bart Willard), movies are complex. So Instead of that maybe a slideshow or just a simple image. Another cool feature would be short movies/slideshows or images for winning/losing the game or a fight. Maybe even a starting movie.

The five gods, a detailed description of looks:

Zeus
He is a bearded human in a toga who could throw thunderbolts. He could show a scroll to the camera and sit in his mediterranean surrounding. large white clouds loom behind the broken columns of his ex-temple (it is old like current temples in greece)

Treak
he is a tree similar to the dark elves buildings in warcraft 3. A tree featuring a face and five or four large branch like arms. he has birds circling around him and squirrels running along his branches. behind him one can see a large vivid forest and a purple sky. He moves very slowly and "granddady-ish"

Zsshe
He is a spark, living energy! He zips around the screen and he's so fast he can go out right of the screen and appear from the left again. The hummingbird like presence has dark thunderstorm cluds behind him, where his brethren and sisters dance around the flashes.

CL 33-E
He's a robot. the dark presence of his body, which is made to kill, is further added upon by the dark black-reddish design of the spaceship in which he resides. In the background there is a squarish windows which shows stars and planets in the far distance.

Squash (developer name)
A giant jellyfish. he's so big that he fills the whole screen. His tentacles slowly roam trough the water while he bobbles about. some bubbles run across the screen, and trough his translucent body you can see fishswarms roaming behind him.