3d editor API

ClarustheDogCow
Unregistered

I'm trying to make a 3d map editor. I don't want to create an engine, or have to do a lot of reasearch to do it (calculating u v, etc.), as this will be more of a side-burner type thing. I thought this would be a good gap to fill by some sort of editing framework, or a framework with good editing capabilities such as finding vertecie(s) based on a mouse click.

The only framework that I could find that does something similar is Quesa. I wan't to know if there are any others, and I want to know what people reccomend. Getting the greatest FPS isn't an issue.

I don't want to use radient, because I wan't to implement a different approach to mapping. I love quiver (as suggested by feanor a while back), but unfortunately, it wont work either.

I thought about using part of the wings3d code, but I don't have a year to learn haskell or its derivitave erlang.

BTW, it will be a completely open editor.

I searched the messageboard, and couldn't find anything that I wanted, so if there is a message somewhere, please just provide the url.

I could elaborate on my mapping idea, but frankly, I'm tired of hearing myself talk and I'm sure you are too.
Quote this message in a reply
Feanor
Unregistered

What language do you want to use? There are a host of C++ engines, which you could easily pillage in order to make a framework of your own, so long as you didn't use them commercially. Coin is a good example, actually, and might be pretty close to what you need, and now that I think about it, I'm sure it is already a separate framework, and free to use in free applications (there is a license fee for commercial apps).
ClarustheDogCow
Unregistered

Yes, C++ is the language of choice. There are a lot of 3d engines out there, but not many designed with editing capabilities in mind, such as good mouse-vertex or mouse-object capabilities. Mabye I don't know the proper terminology to do a google search for them, but I've mostly been getting these APIs from word of mouth.
At the moment, their website (http://www.coin3d.org) is down, but I'll try to check it out.