Single Texture creation for humanoid

nickdabner
Unregistered

Hello,

I am using Meshwork to model a character. Nothing fancy at this stage.

Now that I am happy with the shape, I need to put a texture on it. I will be using pinned mode with a single texture. The question is, how do I create a texture from photos (that I have) that will wrap seamlessly around the model? Is their some great trick in photoshop that stretch textures a little (eg: wrapping around the body or leg). The texture in the GLAM model at forevergames is exactly what I want to do, but cant get it to look right.

I dont really want to paste front, back and side pics and made to them as it wastes space and the joins look terrible.

Know what I mean?

Nick
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Originally posted by nickdabner
The question is, how do I create a texture from photos (that I have) that will wrap seamlessly around the model?
Look up UV mapping on Google.

Quote:Originally posted by nickdabner Is their some great trick in photoshop that stretch textures a little (eg: wrapping around the body or leg).[/b]
The trick is to unwrap the mesh, not wrap the texture. You want to project the polygons to texture coordinates with the least amount of distortion. Check out some Quake3 model textures to get the idea.

Quote:Originally posted by nickdabner
I dont really want to paste front, back and side pics and made to them as it wastes space and the joins look terrible.
[/b]

It takes practice and a decent 3D app to get good results - If you don't mind spending some dough, grab Maxon's BodyPaint.

There's a free "UVmapper" tool out there but you really have no control over the resulting UV map (just lets you pick a projection type). I think Meshwork does the same thing, and calls it "pinning". There is an old Pangea tool that can edit UV points manually, but it's not very user-friendly.
nickdabner
Unregistered

Thanks for this Frank. I have found a little info on the net and will keep searching. The easiest way forward seems to just treat all limbs as rectangles, past a texture onto it and wrap around the limb, then attempt to fix. Wont yield the best results though.

I agree with you about some advanced modeller. Particuarly one with an unwrap ability.

Nick

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2D graphics creation ferum 13 7,963 Mar 5, 2008 03:29 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  2D image creation? BinarySpike 8 5,008 Jul 27, 2005 05:31 PM
Last Post: Buzzboy_109
  Font creation. Shivers 6 3,903 Oct 5, 2003 09:16 PM
Last Post: Shivers