Electric Company Sim

Founder
I work for an Electic Power Company (utility) in Japan. I just moved to a new section (International Activities, sounds like I am a spy, and my title "Senior Staff" sounds like I have my own jet Wink ) and what I'm doing is helping to bring electricity to 3rd world countries. It is massive work starting at zero and the impact on the lives of villagers is interesting enough for its own thread.

Anyhow, working in my new job made me think, this is a game idea. In many ways, it is very much like SimCity I suppose. But let me cover what my idea is. (yeah yeah, 1 million ideas out there.)

Objective: Build electric utility company and manage the generation, transmission and distribution to the customers.

Now SimCity has this idea, but it is one small part of the game, and not very deep. In bringing electricity to the customer, and maining a business, there are lots and lots of factors, so many that I think it could stand on its own (ie a sim game devoted to the subject.)

I suppose this is an idea for someone to check out after uDG. But I am willing to lend a hand with game assets, and the concept creation.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
I think we would also need an insider view of what goes in to making an electric utility company run. I don't think most people understand the technology or the jargon which I think would be needed.
I can see the title and sub line...
SimElectric, learn about the electric power industry while crushing your opponents, its fun!
Founder
Not crushing but zapping... For the insider view, yeah that is what I bring to the table.

I thought to write something up, but if no one is really interested, then I'm just killing time. Wink

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Of course there's always the multiplayer aspect. California's power utilities compete with each other. While this is mostly advertising, it's still something to think about.

Although, in a realworld note, the whole competing to put the same power on the same grid thing is stupid IMO.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Quote:Originally posted by kelvin
Although, in a realworld note, the whole competing to put the same power on the same grid thing is stupid IMO.

The game would have to manage wholesale and retail markets, and interact with government to offer something beyond the generic SimWhatever.

So, Kelvin, you don't believe in competition? Perhaps you are using one of those New Soviet Computers.

Visit http://www.theDailyGrind.net for your recommended daily intake of embittered satire.
Well there's the "Power Company" options, and the "Alternative Options" to this power thing.

Naturally, Carlos wants to keep his job, so alternatives pretty much have to be nixed, as the would put most of they profit into someone else's hands.

I'm sure something like this could be played out like and old school pen and paper RPG to begin some design ideas.

You have your basics:
Company ABC's = Dungeon Master NPC's
Company XYZ's = Player
Stats = Levels of various human resources
Equipment = well, equipment

You have your quests: Bring Power to Cambodia, etc, Make Money, attract investors to nation etc.
You roleplay your quest close to realisitcally based on what information you can gather.
You have some random events like :Tsunami, war, mobsters, stock market events.

Based on playing in this fashion you walk away from the game with some ideas as how "That would make a great video game", and the events in the pen and paper game that really got the blood moving would be the events you'd want to have repeated in the video game.

Naturally, playing with living people will give you some unexpected results, as the beer kicks in and one or more players gets goofy, you see a whole "funny" side to the entire game, which lifts it one step above "wrote simulation". The role playing aspect will also highlight what interesting characters might exist in this otherwise not so exciting field of "Power Grid Empires"...hmm
well if you were looking for a name...there you go.
or how about

"Electric Warlords"

Ok?

You face a d10 3rd world nation in the grips of civil war, what do you do?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  dream soft the soon to be company heralz 28 11,839 Sep 17, 2008 08:46 AM
Last Post: mac_girl