Developing a 3-d game

The learning curve isn't that steep, as long as you have some reference. But going it alone...ugh...
I keep finding my Blender book when I don't need it, and immediately lose it when I do need it.
Quote this message in a reply
Zoldar256
Unregistered

I would like to use Blender. Their site has some impressive images in the gallery. Unfortunately I'm spoiled. I have a student license for Maya. Which is one of the greatest programs I've used. Even though it's learning curve is more like a cliff. But the student license cannot be used for any commercial purpose whatsoever. So all my model exporter and plugin code is useless unless I find a replacement.

So I tried Blender. To me it is missing a good deal of features. And the UI sucks. Then again, I had only looked at it for a few hours. Not like the many many hours I spent with Maya. So I coulda just been missing some stuff.

1. How do you attach attributes to an object in Blender? In Maya I had several custom attributes on my objects that specified scripting parameters and such.

2. Adding custom objects? That wasn't the right way to say that, but in Maya i have a Placeholder object which is just a box with at least one attribute specifying what model it should be. When I go through the scene graph or dependency graph I know when I run into a Placeholder that I should handle that differently than other objects.

3. Custom materials? I couldn't find anything that was like a shader network in Blender. In my Maya tools I have a custom material/shader that corresponds with an external shader file. Actually, that's just in planning stages... I still only have simple texturing and phong-style materials working.

4. Extrude Face, face groups, LOD? Are these somewhere in blender and I just can't find them?

Anyways, there are some other things I didn't like about Blender. I know Maya can be made to work exactly as if it was a custom built editor for my engine... Blender does not seem to be the same, at least not without changing Blender on the source level.

BUT Anybody, please prove me wrong. I'd love to not be thinking that $2000 is not a bad investment in the end.
Wha?!?? Those are all very good questions to ask, probably one at a time, a thread each over at Blender.org.

I've not had a chance since last year to do more than open each new build and go "Oh god, I'm so lost, where is that book? Oh well, I have my own horrible interface to fix, learning this one will only kill my time"

I'm sure given more than a few confusing hours with some good tutorials (there are blender books at the book stores, if you are lucky), you can get the hang of it.

How exactly does Maya work with a game engine?
I'm not about to spend $2000 to find out.
And the 3 button mouse thing keeps me from even getting to know any of the PLE.
Zoldar256
Unregistered

Hehe.. Yes, I should ask a Blender list.

Maya is really generic. Really any operation can be scripted or replaced, and the entire UI can be customized. So it works well with a game engine by working well with most everything, and if not, you can coax it to work the way you want.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  learn game developing Orlendez 3 2,483 Jan 22, 2010 11:28 AM
Last Post: AnotherJake