PyGame: Double-clickable game?

I'm looking into using PyGame for rapid development of an arcade game, but have come across this issue.

Does anyone know if it is possible just to have an executable binary for a Python game? I want to have the choice on how I distribute my code, and having average users download and install Python and PyGame and SDL and whatever is out of the question too tricky.

Is it possible to have a simple download, uncompress, double-click and play game with PyGame/Python?

-Jon
Quote this message in a reply
death_himself
Unregistered

I dunno about with pygame, whether it needs to be installed on the computer, though, I doubt it (SDL does, though, right? Though I think most people have the SDL extensions or whatever you call them). Anyway, I'm certain you can compile python programs to be double-clicable executables...no, I think I did it myself, there should be a python builder with macpython...you can just drag and drop your script or whatever, no?
Luminary
It should be possible, but you might have to do some hacking of the source...

You certainly don't have to have the user install any frameworks, they can live inside your app bundle quite happily.

Easy with Ruby Wink
So it looks like a double-clickable PyGame game is possible at least under OS X, but nothing seems to be working out of the box. I put a simple PyGame script into the BuildApplet, it packaged it all nice... but it didn't work! A couple of the games that are supposed to work "out of the box" simply didn't, which is never a good sign for me. Plus, it still requires you to download a bunch of stuff, for OS X this 27.7 meg download.

This won't work for uDevGame, and frankly I don't see how it could be used well for anything but open source. I hope I am missing something.

Looks like C++ and SDL for me, but I'm still looking into SWIG.

As for Ruby, I'm not sure about that just because only one of us has even sniffed it before... and that was almost a year ago. I'll look into it though.

-Jon
The copy of PyDDR on a MacAddict I picked up required a pretty lengthly install (the pyGame runtime seperately from the game itself), but that may have just been the MA editors being lazy.
I have Python 2.2.1 and as far as I can tell, just drop it on BuildApplication.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote:Originally posted by Mark Levin
The copy of PyDDR on a MacAddict I picked up required a pretty lengthly install (the pyGame runtime seperately from the game itself), but that may have just been the MA editors being lazy.

So it actually worked? I downloaded what they said I needed, the "kitchen-sink install", and then downloaded PyDDR and a couple music and dance files. It opens, the icon bounces a few times, then it quits mysteriously without any messages or anything. Oh well, probably more of a question for a PyGame or even PyDDR board/chat.

I don't like that I can't do any more than hide my Python code. I want to have control on how I distribute source. :-( Python looks so cool otherwise!

-Jon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Java: Double Buffering xDexx 11 8,727 Jan 27, 2009 03:48 AM
Last Post: paven
  pygame or lingo? hertzcastle 6 4,444 Mar 19, 2008 01:13 AM
Last Post: hertzcastle
  pygame framework foosh 0 2,354 Feb 29, 2008 02:09 AM
Last Post: foosh
  So... anyone doing any stuff in Python/Pygame...? Malarkey 12 6,842 Aug 23, 2007 12:09 PM
Last Post: Malarkey
  Char* to double, int, and back wyrmmage 18 6,718 Jun 24, 2007 11:09 AM
Last Post: akb825