A toolkit for OpenGL

Nibbie
do you guys program straight openGL or do you have other APIs and toolkits that are higher level to work with. I just started with openGL (up to NeHe tutorial 8) and I am finding it to be a tad low level for me, I'm more interested in rapid-construction than painstaking vertex positioning etc, what do you all use, or do you take your openGl straight?
Quote this message in a reply
straight opengl... but all my programs eventually build up more complicated primitives like sprites and such Grin
There's GLU, which mostly provides complex but common calculations (setting up projections, curved surfaces) but is still pretty low-level, and GLUT, which can provide an entire GL application (using your graphics code alone) but can only automatically create shapes like spheres, cylinders, and teapots.

3D is complicated, and you usually have to get down to the low level to get exactly what you want to happen. That's why it's so powerful and so fast (the operations are made as simple and streamlined as possible). Unless you want to get into licensing commercial engine components.
If all you are doing is 2D then I would heartily recommend CocoaBlitz.
I'll have demos and a better build of CB ready by Aug 4, I swear!

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Nibbie
whats CB? cocoa blitz?
Yep, CB == CocoaBlitz.
Feanor
Unregistered

If/when Quesa becomes sufficiently speedy to be useable, I still want to try integrating that in my work. The other thing I'm waiting on is 3DKit, but that seems to be dead again.

I used to think I wanted an engine, but after looking at dozens of game engines (mostly in C++), I think you have hit the nail on the head -- what everybody really wants is a toolkit. Just a set of useful classes that would do all the things that everybody always has to do the first time that they start a game, which take a long time and tend to make you get bored with the work very early. It's like you were writing a book but had to build your own word processor or make your own paper from wood pulp.

I certainly don't want a "book-writing engine" or anything -- I'm happy with the pre-existence of language, culture, and some useful tools for putting sentences together. Why not the same for game development?

Does it annoy anyone else that there is not even a standard for how to define and name a vector ADT? Every engine/kit I've looked at does it differently. It's like everybody speaks the same languages, but they all use different technical dialects. Software development is still in its infancy, I guess.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bitmap font toolkit Najdorf 9 7,113 Nov 11, 2008 05:43 PM
Last Post: Najdorf
  CGContextFlush: invalid context with awt.Toolkit and awt.Graphics Tools10 1 3,792 Jun 10, 2007 04:07 PM
Last Post: Tools10