Arcade/simple game ideas request

Quote:Originally posted by Daniel_Lurie
I will send you a list of people I need eliminated. When I recieve their heads as evidence, I will start coding.

*waiting for list*
Quote this message in a reply
Chingwa
Unregistered

Anyone remember an old CGA game called "Alley Cat"? Used to play it off of a floppy disk (when floppy disks were floppy) on an old IBM with no hard drive and a pathetic CGA screen with 3 colors. Was a neat little puzzle game where you had to rescue your kitty girlfriend. Had catchy music too... Man... that was a looong time ago. Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Chingwa
Anyone remember an old CGA game called "Alley Cat"? Used to play it off of a floppy disk (when floppy disks were floppy) on an old IBM with no hard drive and a pathetic CGA screen with 3 colors. Was a neat little puzzle game where you had to rescue your kitty girlfriend. Had catchy music too... Man... that was a looong time ago. Grin

Yes. I used to play that on a friend's portable (i.e., 50 lbs.) Compaq with a hideous green screen.
Quote:Originally posted by skyhawk
*waiting for list*

Sure. The list is here.

Let me know when you got those heads.
Sure. The list is here.

Let me know when you got those heads.

har har har Rolleyes
Was Rescue Radiers on the Apple ][? I distinctly remember playing a game just like that, and I thought it was on an Apple ][.

Great game. A precursor to the current RTS games.

In fact, the developers who made Thunderforce (popular shooter for Sega Genesis), made their own vertical scrolling version with mechs and futuristic stuff. You'd send different tanks and soldiers up towards your opponent and then move your mech around to try and stop your opponent who was doing the same. It was called Herzog (you can emulate it on your Mac. Smile (you need an MSX emulator )

Then, they created the infamous Herzog Zwei (Herzog 2) for the Genesis, which has still never been duplicated successfully, IMHO. Computer games followed. Dune 2 came after that (changing your fighter into a mouse and taking all the action out), then there was warcraft, then Command and Conquer and then hundreds of different versions of the same game derived from Rescue Raiders. (It's funny to see Warcraft III trying to bring the action back in, but it's all point and click, so it's not the same.)

So... Rescue Raiders or Herzog Zwei could be updated to great effect.

I think they both go beyond a simple arcade game though. They are far more difficult to balance and work out the strategy portion.

I busted two corners off of a table once from the adreniline rush of playing Herzog Zwei against a buddy. (We went so far as to put a piece of cardboard between us so we couldn't see each other's side of the screen.) Grin

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
How about Yar's Revenge?

It's a great rip off of StarCastle for the Atari 2600. In my opinion it's superior. Intense game at the higher levels. The sounds are ingrained into my brain.

Anybody else play that one?

It's a definite arcade game possibility. If someone else doesn't do it, I might have to. Smile Some day. Need to focus on my Udev game first!

Aaron

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
Quote:Originally posted by skyhawk
har har har Rolleyes

<Bugs Bunny voice>
Aint I a stinker?
</Bugs Bunny voice>
Wink
Quote:Originally posted by aaronsullivan
How about Yar's Revenge?

I actually had one in the works. I was programming it in RB 3D. Then my 7600s motherboard went. I still have the SCSI drive its on, but no way to retrieve that stuff.
Hey Daniel is that an ultra wide scsi? I have a one of those in the B/W G3. Could retrieve the data for you?
In theory we could hook the drive onto the card no?
I may even have a SCSI external drive case upstairs...I think.

Return of Star Castle...cool.

A Yar's Revenge clone would be cool, damn addictive game, evil evil blisters and sleep deprevation.

HoosWoosh
Quote:Originally posted by igame3d
Hey Daniel is that an ultra wide scsi? I have a one of those in the B/W G3. Could retrieve the data for you?
In theory we could hook the drive onto the card no?
I may even have a SCSI external drive case upstairs...I think.

Return of Star Castle...cool.

A Yar's Revenge clone would be cool, damn addictive game, evil evil blisters and sleep deprevation.

HoosWoosh

No. SCSI-II (Fast?) 50-pin. Hell!, I could drive it over the Wallington bridge.
No. SCSI-II (Fast?) 50-pin. Hell!, I could drive it over the Wallington bridge.

If we're ressurecting Atari 2600 games, lets go for Battle Tank.
Thats what this thing might be...has the long thin strip?
Perhaps we could do some Scsi madness, I might have a bunch of old cards and cables I can dig out if one thing doesn't work, another will, if I didn't do something silly like say "bah I'll never use this stuff again"

I'll drop you an email on Friday, hopefully I can shuffle off the family for a few hours this weekend and you can drop by and get your data off that old drive. Probably only 4 or 5 CD-R at most eh?

Oh, and sorry for the thread starter for the techno-geek old school clone Hijack of thread.

Hooswoosh
Alright. But, we may have to bowl at the Wallington Lanes first,
Just to wrap up this thread, thanks for all the ideas! We have decided to do a revamp of the popular classic arcade game "Moon Patrol"! The free version will be done by the deadline of uDevGame 2k3. Contingent on its general success, a shareware much-improved version may be released at a later date.

Stay tuned to the uDevGame page to see how it's coming along!

-Jon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Simple Network Game jpiabrantes 0 1,170 May 2, 2014 04:06 AM
Last Post: jpiabrantes
  New Game Ideas? Le Muck 18 15,156 Dec 20, 2009 12:58 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  Request for "So you want to make an MORPG" Oddity007 0 2,595 Apr 21, 2009 04:43 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  Game Ideas: Your Thoughts Man With No Name 16 9,043 Mar 10, 2008 08:15 PM
Last Post: JustinFic
  Game ideas muffins91 6 5,173 Aug 2, 2007 07:53 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake