Arcade/simple game ideas request

Basically, a couple of associates (ok my two brothers.. maybe just one) and I are getting together (virtually... we live all over) to make a game within the month of August. We are using SDL, and our assets are coming from me (music, sounds, graphics) and from iDevGames resources. We are planning on entering uDevGame with it. (yay!) It will be crossplatform thanks to SDL and previous experience. So we're brainstorming simple arcade game ideas. Originally we were just going to do a direct port of Serpentine, but I'm skeptical about doing that... would anyone really want that?

I'm commited to getting it done (and quickly!), so we aren't going to do anything complicated. It most likely won't be a fullscreen game, hopefully hitting a niche. I am searching for game ideas, so if anyone has any, go for it. (please :-D ) I'm not even going to think about doing anything more complex than something like Airburst. Keep in mind there is a chance ideas may be used/modified... so don't post ur 1337 g@m3z0rz id3@z that is "uber secret" or whatever. I'm also not going to make pong or space invaders or pick your overcloned game... at least not without a serious twist.

I know we've had game idea discussions before, but honestly I can't get enough of them and this one is more focused and specific.

Trolls please keep away from this thread ;-) ... no seriously

-Jon
Quote this message in a reply
If the Serpentine you're talking about is the old Broderbund game where you have that snake in the maze and try to gobble other snakes from behind while trying to put some eggs and catch a frog, I'd be glad to have that in a new version!
Other games I'd like to play in a improved version are: Joust, Ladybug, Moon Patrol, Naughty Boy and some others.
Sta7ic
Unregistered

An updated Bolo-style game with a network protocol superior to series serial/socket connections?
top down style quake!! I would kill for this Grin

EDIT: Networked of course
Quote:Originally posted by skyhawk
top down style quake!! I would kill for this Grin

EDIT: Networked of course

Some guy in my computer science class was talkinga bout that. Funny. LOL

Ooh, Donkey Kong. Nobody on the Mac has done a Donkey Kong clone. Maybe even Commander Keen... Good ol' computer platform that never came to the Mac...
death_himself
Unregistered

Horizontal pong, but with one bat, and you hit the ball against bricks. Rasp .

Hey, anyone know the name of that game where you had a helicopter and had to sort of land and rescue people with it and take them back to the hospital or something? It was 2d, side on, scrolling game. And there were tanks and a helicopter and stuff attacking you and the buildings...I forget, I think possibly your helicopter had a gun. Anyway, I remember playing that on the BBC Micro. Perhaps mixing it up a lil by saving people in flooded areas (ie. people on rooftops in trees, having a guy on a rope to help bring them back up to the hlicopter, and people in the water, who move about/downstream, so you have to make sure your guy who is also swinging can get the person...these people would get you more points) and I dunno, maybe make it feel like a 2D warzone. Perhaps have different real world events (as long as it isn't slanted to any one country ie. the helicopter having a huge American flag on it, eugh). Oh and how about also giving the player different helicopters for different time periods? Though I'm not too keen on the real-world thing, that would mean there'd be levels, I'd much rather it be a proper arcade game where you try to get a high-score. And as for the high-score, yes, definately have an online high score table, that really would be fun, it doesn't have to have a special server set up, just a web one, one of those free ones, like at spaceports.com .

Sorry, too compicated? It'd stay pretty true to the original premise, just with a guy on a rope haning from your helicopter for certain areas of the level or whatever and improved graphics/awesome graphics, I'm thinking real swell animation for the little people both good and bad running along the ground, and a nice squishing effect with blood should you land on a few of them.

Other ideas, I'm not sure if this is going to be a collection of arcade games or not. So, if its a collection, perhaps that game where you have a motorbike and have to jump a certain amount of busses? The amount increases by one with every level. I remember some sort of lift game, but can't remember the details, that was fun, hope someone else can remember.

K, thats all my crappy ideas Smile .
something mentioned from another thread, micromachines for the genesis. Lots of fun there.
Yep the Serpentine is the one I was thinking of too. (Snakes and eating things/eggs and what not)

Right now I'm thinking maybe try and blend Serpentine with Moon Patrol... Everyone loves robot snakes, right?

Thanks for all the ideas so far, very interesting all of them.

Top down quake would be cool. We had an idea of remake of Gauntlet (the old one!) floating around, which is probably about what top-down style quake would be.

I also remember that helicopter land/rescue game, I was thinking of that. Forgot the name, I might have to rummage through the old Apple IIe disks and fire that thing up. (Sucker still works dandy!)

What do people think about trying to work in networking? I think no, but others think yes. I think in about a month, no way! Would it be possible maybe with SDL_network or the NetSprocket implementation over OpenPlay? Meh, who knows. I think get a single-player version set, with the possibility of a simple online highscore list... always do a sequal or "Xtreme!" version of the game.

-Jon
Quote:Originally posted by death_himself
Hey, anyone know the name of that game where you had a helicopter and had to sort of land and rescue people with it and take them back to the hospital or something?

Choplifter?

Ah, now I'm getting that warm, fuzzy nostalgic feeling...
I'd give you my great idea, but I want to do it myself and put it out as my first shareware game.

Serpentine's already been done by Ambrosia: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/slithereens/

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote:Originally posted by death_himself
Hey, anyone know the name of that game where you had a helicopter and had to sort of land and rescue people with it and take them back to the hospital or something?

There was a game just like that on the Mac. It was with high quality graphics. It was called Cobra or something like that (a name of a military chopper anyway...). Then there was a SNES game just like that. That was fun too.
I remember ...

Choplifter, the first one. Pretty much like your description. Broderbund.
Fort Apocalypse, with an underground maze. Synapse-Software.
Super Cobra, like Scramble but with a helicopter. Datasoft/Parker. Original: Arcade.
Thunderblade, nice semi-3D game from SEGA.

And without a helicopter, but same theme:

Protector, from Synapse-Software, you had to save people from an erupting volcano.
Quote:Originally posted by diordna
I'd give you my great idea, but I want to do it myself and put it out as my first shareware game.

Serpentine's already been done by Ambrosia: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/slithereens/

Yeah, but I really don't like Slithereens, I think it was screwed up. It sounded and looked annoying to me when I tried it a while ago. Plus it is Classic only. Plus it costs $20!!! Youch. But yeah I thought of Slithereens, something taking into consideration.

A lot of people are mentioning names of games, which works when we've all heard of them... but I haven't played every console and platform. It'd be great if some short descriptions of the game could be given in addition. I'm trying to google them as well. Thanks again!

-Jon

Happy Birthday Me! ;-)
Best side-scrolling helicopter game ever: Armor Alley. (Dang, I can't find my copy)

Where's a good Mac Missile Command clone? I haven't seen one since my System 6 days.
Quote:Originally posted by Bachus
Where's a good Mac Missile Command clone?

Kimdom Come

Visit http://www.theDailyGrind.net for your recommended daily intake of embittered satire.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Game Ideas? Le Muck 18 14,482 Dec 20, 2009 12:58 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  Request for "So you want to make an MORPG" Oddity007 0 2,404 Apr 21, 2009 04:43 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  Game Ideas: Your Thoughts Man With No Name 16 8,511 Mar 10, 2008 08:15 PM
Last Post: JustinFic
  Game ideas muffins91 6 4,737 Aug 2, 2007 07:53 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Searching game ideas Iceman 7 5,296 Aug 27, 2005 04:13 PM
Last Post: unknown