free 3D software

Patrick
Unregistered

CodeWarrior Pro for Mac isn't being discontinued... Metrowerks will be coming out with CW Pro 9 and PowerPlant X this fall.

MPW is not impossible to use...lots of people have learned C/C++ using a UNIX command line interface, and MPW is a lot easier than vi and [g]cc! ( for instance many shell commands have a GUI interface, including stuff for creating your makefiles etc. )
Or you could use MacPython, MacPerl, THINK Pascal, Leonardo C, etc all of which are good and free programming languages. ( THINK Pascal especially so, as Pascal/Mac Toolbox skils can translate to C/C++ and carbon quite easily. )
Mad
/soapbox OFF
anyway, back on topic. If you can't afford new copies of expensive 3D software, check out MacMegaPov, which is a free, open-source raytracer.
isogonic
Unregistered

> So am I the only one who admits to pirating on here?

Yes...

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

Pirate \Pi"rate\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Pirated}; p. pr. & vb. n.
{Pirating}.] [Cf. F. pirater.]
To play the pirate; to practice robbery on the high seas. Grin

With the exception of Sid Myer's Pirates!, which I probably did not purchase (sorry Sid).

There is nothing inherently wrong with making copies of software, however if you are breaking the End User License Agreement you are in effect breaking your word. That is one of the worst things you can do. You also deprive the copyright holder of any funds you might otherwise have given them had you not made an unauthorized copy, and in doing so make the Mac market just a tad bit smaller.

My new philosphy is that if they [given company] cannot support me via prices I can afford. I will not support them, and as such will seek an alternative to their software solution rather than snarfing their creation.
Quote:Originally posted by isogonic
You also deprive the copyright holder of any funds you might otherwise have given them had you not made an unauthorized copy, and in doing so make the Mac market just a tad bit smaller.

My new philosphy is that if they [given company] cannot support me via prices I can afford. I will not support them, and as such will seek an alternative to their software solution rather than snarfing their creation.

Well considering the Windows market is 9x% of the market, and easily 80% of Windows software of every kind is pirated, and their market never ever shrinks... I don't think the shrinking market idea is true. 3D Studio Max is everywhere..yet they stay in business. Microsoft Office and Windows OS itself is pirated all over the place, PC people make me ill with their "oh I pirated it" as if they have a right to do so..its really the attitude they express.

I agree with finding alternatives, since losing my job I totaly glaze over all commercial and shareware apps, and go right for the freeware. A lot of stuff to play with.
Makes me sad that I paid for commerical and shareware that i do not use at all...damn.

As for admitting to piracy, you are damned fool to admit to a crime. The US government, music industry, and hollywood are working on laws to stick you in jail for 10 to 20 years for an . mp3 file. It inspires me to make a first person shooter "10 to 20: Justified Homicide"...if you're gonna go to prison for your ipod, you may as well EARN the punishment with a "real" crime, in a virtual world of course.
isogonic
Unregistered

Quote:As for admitting to piracy, you are damned fool to admit to a crime.

:ohmy: I am not certain as to the intended tone of your post, but I did not care for it. Nor I do not appreciate your phraseology "damn fool", nor do I possess a single illicit copy of any digital media. As to your reference to jail time, I would protest that I did not claim to have made any illegal copies of any software, only that I did not do anything to support the development of a game that I enjoyed greatly.

Quote:You also deprive the copyright holder of any funds you might otherwise have given them had you not made an unauthorized copy...

This does not shrink the market share of the computer, but that of the developer.

(streaming content and Audible work fine for me as far as audio is concerned)
death_himself
Unregistered

I actually did try python, but it all came to a halt when things I needed to import (for creating windows and stuff) apparently couldn't be found...even if I copied someone else's code...I must have been doing something wrong, but no-one helped me. Pascal, I actually played around with that years ago, I haven't got a clue why not many people use it anymore, but it becomes a problem if you're trying to learn, as I tried to do so, there are so few resources for programming in Python, even less for programming in Python on the macintosh platform, and absolutely none for programming in python for people who have never programmed before...which is the whole point, why can't metrowekrs provide a 'lite' version of codewarrior which doesn't take long to download, is a fully functional compiler for C/C++/Java...but won't allow you to build a double-clickable...I certainly would have gone straight for that. This is off-topic but why exactly DID Python die?

But the biggest reason why I decided to pirate instead of going for free alternatives was because the product was so much better! Why the hell would I go for a free product which didn't suit me as well as another product which also wouldn't cost me a dime?

10 to 20 years in jail...and how the hell are they going to put all these 'pirates' down for that when there are millions and millions of them? It's plausable for them to do alot of people with america because of the lack of a proper justice system, they could do some sort of mass-production senteancing thing...but then alot more money would be spent on putting these people behind bars than the software and music industry lost. I don't need to explain why its not going to happen, there are so many other reasons too.

The best way to stop 'pirates' is to make your software un-pirateable...I'm not talking about this stupid idea of putting 'water-marks' on your cds...I mean, who came up with that? Seriously...but instead using serial numbers for your software, make em complex enough and people will just give up. Hey, its working for Ambrosiasw...I tried to find a serial for uplink the other day, just found posts in forums with no responses.

Sorry, going off-topic...pointless post, yet again, by me Smile .
Quote:Originally posted by isogonic
:ohmy: I am not certain as to the intended tone of your post, but I did not care for it. Nor I do not appreciate your phraseology "damn fool",

That is a general kind of "you are not a certified genius", if you put "I, my name here, am a criminal, admitting guilt, of crime X," in print for the world to see.

Jeez people take the most general contents of text on the internet as personal as a shotgun blast through their front door. Why do "they" insert themselves into every reference of the word "you" no matter who "you" might be.

I'm sure all the felons prison mates would say "you damned fool" when the answer to question "What are you in for?" was replied with "I admitted to guilt of a crime on an internet forum, and the G man got me". But all sadness would me squeezed away with sweet prison love.
I didn't know Python was dead Blink

Python won't do interfaces in the Mac version because they haven't ported the standard windowing toolkit to it. Instead, you can get wxWindows, which I've never tried, but saw on the internet. That should work.

I would be appalled if a programmer were to pirate. After all, you know what it takes to write a program. If you don't want people to pirate your software, then don't pirate their software.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
isogonic
Unregistered

igames3d,

You are right about your statements regarding the word you.

I would like to clarify that,
Quote:So am I the only one who admits to pirating on here?
was not my statement but in fact a quote taken from earlier remarks made in this discussion.

Quote:Yes...
was my statement

I could perhaps be referred to as a foo -:-|| (ala Mr. T) for not putting it inside proper quotation tags. Smile
isogonic
Unregistered

x2 post, sorry

Python dead? I could be wrong, but I don't think it is after checking out the site.
On Topic, There is FREE 3D Software. Support it.
Check the Announcement thread, get Coalesce.
Support the app that will one day, crush Maya!. Smile
I hope. While it is still Free.

Way Off topic:

Quote:Originally posted by death_himself
10 to 20 years in jail...and how the hell are they going to put all these 'pirates' down for that when there are millions and millions of them? It's plausable for them to do alot of people with america because of the lack of a proper justice system, they could do some sort of mass-production senteancing thing...but then alot more money would be spent on putting these people behind bars than the software and music industry lost.

First the prison system in the US is one of biggest business for the eviilest people in the world. World's largets prison population. Second They not only imprison but they extort money from the "criminal" in essence making the person, and his family pay for the entire sentence. Third, they like to pull the old "bribe me please" scam:
"Son you face 15 years in prison, or $15,000...which will it be."
"Wha!?! I'll pay, i'll pay!",
"Well I hope that teaches you not share Britney Spears songs ever again"
"I won't I won't!"

This technique has been used since people burned "witches.", for a share of their land and gold.
Quote:Originally posted by death_himself
[b]I don't need to explain why its not going to happen, there are so many other reasons too..

Never underestimate the power of facism. I'm sure the folks in Europe, Russia, and especially the innocent farmers of Cambodia said "never will happen" too. All all those lives were loset beginning with some laws based on protecting the interests of a select group of people.

I stand by the music file sharing, even though I'm not a big fan of music anymore. I'm rather ticked off about the wasted funds on 8-tracks, vynil, cassettes, and CD's that I could never get return on investment for. The music industry through MTV and radio preyed on some immature social pyschology of billions of youth: "You love this music, you must listen to this music, its the sound of YOUR generation, you feel what this moron musician feels, buy it now, join the record club for just one penny!" etc etc.

Yet whats to show for it? Miles of tape all chewed up in cheap electronics, old warped albums, and just luckily...I backed a few things up to MP3.

When I was a kid we traded albums and tapes.
Is there a difference? Should we have faced 10 to 20?
I'm sure Depech Mode, the Cure and The Smiths would have kicked my butt if they found out! I used to give away tapes that I made of my friends the Wretched Ones, sometimes I made a little money on it as a sale, and my buddy punk rock magically turned it into beer!
Lets see Mettallica or Tommy Lee do that!

In response to the "watermarked cd's"..that is to protect the software vendor (MS) from the WHOLESALE pirating for direct profit of their goods. An entire sales company, wharehouse and shipping company was shut down in Louisiana some years ago, millions of copies of Windows 98 and NT were boxed up and shipped out, millions more orders were waiting for shipment. All bogus copies.
No way to tell the fake unless the water mark gizmo was not perfect. When you are the biggest of the big, people will rip you off, BIG TIME.
Founder
Quote:I know it is illegal to download software for free with programs like LimeWire and kaZaA. But my friend said it was ok to download older programs and he downloaded Maya 3.5. I guess it makes since to download older software since it doesn't retail at stores anymore. I was thinking about downloading Lightwave 6.5. Do you think this will be ok or should I just purchase the academic version of Lightwave 7.

Ok, this will be the last post in this thread. This message board is for Art & Audio talk. The posts as well as the original posts don't belong here.

To answer your question. Your friend is wrong. I suggest you turn him in to some software group and see if you can get some type of reward. The money you get could be used to buy your own software. Smile Kidding aside, people here know I don't let any talk of pirating or related subjects in the forum. It is a subject that will most likey lead to the first banned user of this forum.

It does not make sense to download older software as usually it has bugs, may install old components (of software or OS, etc etc) not to mention, it is STILL illegal, and on top of all of this, IMHO, has a developer, you shouldn't be part of this group that feels pirating is OK.

So, I suggest you don't download a pirated version of Lightwave, and that from here on out, you never speak of it again.

I DO recommend you find an application that is within your budget, and then buy it. (In many cases, good open-source 3D apps exist!) This message board is full of advice on the matter if you search. Also, you should consider getting academic versions if you are a student. If you want Maya, use the PE version. That will train you. You should also go to the library or Amazon and look for books on your 3D app of choice. Of course, the Net has tons of tutorials as well. (The 3D toolkit has app, Electric Image and video tutorials.)

Here is my rant: I think many teens (I'll say teens, but I know it isn't limited to them) think, "Oh, I can get tht $2,000 app for free on the Net. Because it cost so much, I'll be making AAA title level art in no time." For the most part, they are wrong. I'm sure some people can figure things out on their own, but overall, buying the app, getting the manuals, the support, info from the community of the app WILL lead to mastery of the app in the long run. I also want to say this. When you learn a 3D app, it takes a lot of time to be a master. In a way, you invest much of your time. If people force the developer into bankruptcy, then the app goes under, you just lost a lot of your time. Learning a new 3D app from step 0 is much work IMHO. So, support yourself and the dev. and buy the app.

OK. End of this discussion. If you want to continue talk from this thread, that doesn't concern pirating, then do so in Free Talk. If it concerns 3D apps, then make a new thread.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any free, OSX-compatible 3D software? stevejohnson 6 4,865 Feb 23, 2003 05:41 PM
Last Post: AJ Infinity