Quake engine

snickrep
Unregistered

I am a mac user like all of you and was wondering if the quake engine is offered for mac. If so than what should I start with? Quake II or Quake III? Does it require programming to make my own games with the quake engine?
Quote this message in a reply
The terms for licensing the Quake engine are available here; Quake I and II are available for free under the GPL license, and a non-GPL license is available for $10,000. For an independent developer, the Quake III engine is obscenely expensive ($250,000 up-front and 5% royalty), so unless you have massive cash reserves (or enjoy being in debt) I wouldn't even bother with that right now. Using any of these would most likely require programming. You'd probably also want to look at GtkRadiant, which is a Quake engine editor (available for OS X via X11; full installation instructions provided), and doesn't require any programming (although you'll probably need to do some scripting).
Quote:Originally posted by snickrep
I am a mac user like all of you and was wondering if the quake engine is offered for mac.
Carbon (OS9/X) Quake 1 port is here: http://macglquake.sourceforge.net/

Cocoa (OSX) Quake 1/2 ports are here: http://www.fruitz-of-dojo.de/

If so than what should I start with? Quake II or Quake III?
Like Mazilurik said Quake III is big $$$. Take a look at Quake 1 or 2, but I would recommend Quake 1 since there are actually some tools available. You'll have a hard time creating Quake 2 assets on a Mac.

Does it require programming to make my own games with the quake engine?
Yes and no - Quake 2 uses C for the game logic so it requires "real" programming expertise. Quake 1 can be heavily modified through QuakeC scripts, which is a language similar to C, but much easier to code.

If you're serious about this, check out http://planetquake.com/paroxysm/ (shameless plug)
Shamelessly resurrecting a dead thread...

I would like to fool around with the Quake source but I need pak0.pak and pak1.pak to be able to change the game and see the affect. I don't own the game but according to Fruitz of Dojo, the demo (shareware) version works as well.

The problem is that the Mac demo doesn't provide pak0.pak and pak1.pak that GLQuake and Quake need and the PC demo requires you to run the installer (which I obviously can't do). Anyone know where I could get pak0.pak and pak1.pak?
Founder
Hi Josh, send me private mail on this. I'm not so informed but my guess is that Quake 1/2/ and perhaps 3 should all be in the super bargain bins that you lucky people in the US have access to.

Other thing I was thinking... and I may be way off... but, if you found some level editor for Quake 1 and 2 (Quiver??), why not make a simple level and then call it what the engines demand? Sorry if this idea is really wacky.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Originally posted by jabber
I would like to fool around with the Quake source but I need pak0.pak and pak1.pak to be able to change the game and see the affect.

Ummm... the shareware data comes with pak0.pak (the first episode, with around 8 levels) pak1.pak contains the other 3 episodes, and a special 'lil graphic that Quake checks to make sure it's playing the "registered" game. (P.S. Don't get the MacPlay demo - get the repack: http://macglquake.sourceforge.net/downloads.html )

You can modify the source to ignore the "registered" cvar it will run user mods even with just the shareware version installed (or just set "registered 1" in the console), but without pak1.pak you run the risk that the game may try and load nonexistent data (monsters & sounds that are in pak1.pak) so it won't always work.

The PC demo won't do ya anymore good than the repackaged mac demo.

Basically, you need the full data set to modify Quake, or hack the source to use your own data.
ededed
Unregistered

Is there or will there ever be a standalone application for Mac Os X that lets me create maps for q3a???
If not make one.
Quote:Originally posted by Frank C.
Yes and no - Quake 2 uses C for the game logic so it requires "real" programming expertise.

Well that explains why my PC buddy wants me to learn C and help him with his great Quake 2 idea. Yeah, the guy is going crazy over this. Everyday at school he says: "Learn C, dammit!"
Quote:Originally posted by ededed
Is there or will there ever be a standalone application for Mac Os X that lets me create maps for q3a???

I've been following this since day one, and I'll just come out and say it: You will never see a native Q3A editor for MacOSX - Radiant running under Apple's X11 is as good as it will get (granted, it's not that good)...

Quote:Originally posted by ededed
If not make one.
Please do!
Quote:Originally posted by applekid
"Learn C, dammit!"

I say go for it! The fundamentals of C form a common thread that runs through many programming languages. Knowing even a little C will usually make it much easier to pickup other languages (and if you want to hack up Quake 2 you'd better know at least a little!)
Well, I'll end up learning C one these days. It's just that I'm busy with learning Java at school.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  sci fi FPS using quake 3 engine concept DTMDoc 15 6,833 Apr 14, 2003 06:13 PM
Last Post: griffin239