rant on realism

hmm the topic has drifted somewhat me thinks and my brain is tired.

Quote: GTA Vice City, in my eyes, is a very realistic game, but the fun comes from the unrealistic ability to steal any old car out from the middle of the street. Don't these people have locks on their doors?

still the game is based on a real thing - stealing cars, but they unrealisticly made it a hell of a lot easier and thus increased the fun factor.

Who the hell wants to play a game that they can do for real anyway?

Perhaps its all just a big delicate relationship between the real and the unreal. Really real real

There really aren't any rules. I just think 'realism' is an important aspect, and new ideas for groundbreaking games could come out of thinking this way.

And just for rapture and joy I will give you the dictionary definitions for realism and realistic.

realism - 1. the practice of accepting a situation as it is and dealing with it accordingly. 2. a thing that is actually experienced or seen. 3. the doctrine that universals or abstract concepts have an objective or absolute existance.

realistic - 1. having a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected. 2. representing things in a way that is accurate and true to life.

realism is what I'm talking about.

Ice Cream Joe - it is true that 'main concept' doesnt exist - hence the confusion. I was defining what I meant by that loose idea.

'whats more real than a real game' was said more as a joke.

I failed my philosophy papers a while back too by the way, so probably I suck at communicating my ideas, and forming solid arguments.

My arrays keep going beyond their bounds and thats making me 'really' mad... back to it.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
Vontay
Unregistered

I think what he means is that good games make you feel as though they are affecting you; either by giving you a skill or by giving you an experience in a conceivable alternate reality.

Or am I completely off?
Quote:I think what he means is that good games make you feel as though they are affecting you; either by giving you a skill or by giving you an experience in a conceivable alternate reality.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
eekaydee
Unregistered

My idea:

When you make a game, you create a world. The world has rules, and once the player figures them out (or thinks they have them figured out), the game can't break them anymore, or it will be unrealistic in the game. If you try to make your game too realistic, such as allowing interation with all things on a table, then when the player finds out that he can't affect the items on another table, it bothers him (unless you give a good reason why he can't touch them). But if you can't touch anything on any table, it wouldn't be nearly as annoying, because that is what the player expects.

Take mario. Floating coins, stars that make you invincible, etc. Then take Resident Evil for example, where the world is convincingly realistic until you stick your arm through the wall.

w_reade
Quote:What is important is internal consistency

Guess I'm just saying it differently.

As for the reason why people play gamesñsome people might play for something that is meaningful in real life, like acquiring a skill so you can kick someone else's butt, and other people play just to leave the real world and go somewhere unreal.

Hope I didn't talk too much Rasp
Nice avatar reubert..you know I was going to mention that your this thread was ...drug induced..hahah..
next time share!
OK everybody, lets not get the ATF in on this.Ninja

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Hey reubert, if your looking for a game to make...last year I went into some detail about a cool game called Amerijuanica....
Wonder if that thread is still around?
So, that would make your official skill set and interests:

Sex, Drugs, and iGame 3D.

A proud mother and father look upon their son...

Rasp

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Why do you get personal Dr. Blight?

Sex is the origin of all advanced life-forms.
Drugs are the number one export of my state, employing over 250,000 people, and the other 8 million citizens rely on pharmeceuticals every single day of the week in one form or another.

Cannabis is the number one cash crop in America.
Hemp can save the world, just try to debate against Hemp/Cannabis...you don't stand a chance against my 10 years of experience, study and political activism. If you support the "war on drugs", if you repeat the lies that have been told about cannabis, then you are a bigot and concidering your faith, you are a hypocrite. There are 70,000 people suffering in US prisons right now, mostly for simple possesion of a plant that has been used by humans without ill effect for 8,000 years. Longer than your religion of persecution and lies has existed.

I also happen to be an excellent father and a very skilled computer user. A great farmer and hey...I've done EVERYTHING I've ever wanted to do in my life..iGame3D Pro is one more notch in my "I've done that" stick.

Once thats done, I'll probably just throw all my efforts to having my daughter be the first woman president, i have all the marketing, graphics, writing skills and the background to do it. Having games and software that will attract younger voters won't hurt the effort either.

Now, boy, don't concern yourself with trying to make me the butt end of a joke, and go look in the mirror.
Who are you? What are you?

Get a life, boy.
Let the flames begin...Ninja
Luminary
Or not...

Locked.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Collision Detection Rant kodex 5 4,155 Apr 12, 2005 05:48 AM
Last Post: kodex