GLSee

David mentioned a program called GLSee that converts a 3DMF document into OpenGL code, but after searching the forum and google I cannot find anything about it. Does anyone have this program or a link to it?
Quote this message in a reply
melvinator
Unregistered

I wrote that a few years ago, and to be honest, there are much better ways of getting 3DMF data into OpenGL. One way would be to use 3DMFOptimizer to ensure the models are in a acceptable tri-mesh format (GLSee required this anyways) then use a program like meshworks to do any required fix up and export the data into a easy to parse documented format. GLSee simply walks the 3DMF structure generating glBegin ... vertexdata .. glEnd pairs for discrete model structures (I think per texture if i remember correctly)

When I get home from work I'll seach my cd archives and put the app + src up at do with it what you will, but please give credit where due:

http://members.shaw.ca/murtad/glsee/

so maybe check later tonight, but as I said earlier there are MUCH better ways to get model data into opengl, and I would implore you to think about other ways of dealing with model data.

don
Thanks! I will take a look at it tonight. I am new to cocoa and OpenGL, and I want to spend my time programming the actual game itself instead of a file parser. I will post again in a day or so when I have a chance to try it.

Thanks!
melvinator
Unregistered

Ok it's up src + app. I doubt the code is carbon compliant though so best of luck.

Writing a file parser for a linear file format (like .obj (maya) or .ms3d (milkshape) or .mesh (meshworks)) is not a big deal. Basiclly you scan the header and allocate memory for the model data chunks that follow. Usually a text parser will work and you have the benifit of using the data you load in any fashion you wish (immediate/cached/buffered), which each have there benifits when dealing with data that is either animated or not. Sadly GLSee would be a huge pain if you wanted to use animations in your models.

Anyway good luck.
Hum... actually i'm going to write my own method to import Meshworks files, I think they looked the easiest, but thanks anyways.
melvinator
Unregistered

good choice!
If you are using Cocoa, there is already a Meshwork file parser on this site.
Quote:Originally posted by jabber

Cool, i didn't see that there, but I will look now Smile
Quote:Originally posted by jabber

Actually, I can't find it, can you post a link?
Quote:Originally posted by Mazilurik
Meshwork Importer

Oh, I searched on the meshworks site, not the IDG one, Thanks!