First Attempt at Music - Be Kind!

So, I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "Galaxy Lancer sure does need music. Art and programming are no problem, but where am I going to find some music that won't get me sued because I stole it?" Seeing how I'm poor, and asking someone to work for free just doesn't seem right, I guess I'm stuck with with my own musical "talents." I had been been playing around with PlayerPro, but I've never been able to come up with anything more than a few seconds of a drum loop. However, the new version of Final Cut Pro comes with a nifty new program called Soundtrack. I figured it was worth a try and spent the night whipping these up:

Test Song
Test Song 2

The first one isn't so hot, but I actually kinda like the second one. Neither are exactly game music material, but hey, I'm new to this.

Be gentle, I bruise easily. Wink
Quote this message in a reply
JeremyL
Unregistered

Just to echo Bachus' request...

I've been teaching myself how to read sheet music over the past few months, and today I attempted my first original composition. Appreciate any feedback or suggestions for ways to improve.

midi file: http://www.geocities.com/salisburgensis/
Exactly what are you looking for for Galaxy Lancer's music? I mean, I don't see a reason why those tracks you have couldn't be used in a game. It just depends what you are going for. Also, how are you planning on releasing it? Shareware, freeware, etc. My music design/production/composition website isn't public yet, but in short I will do music for freeware/opensource games for free on a case by case basis. (Hopefully this will be a good idea! I don't want to get overwhelmed!) For now if you want to hear some of what I have done, I did a few midi tracks for Hooptie by Inkubator. I have plenty more examples that will be on my site, from a slurry of genres.

I was also wondering if you were using SpriteWorld for your animation? Or homebrew?

-Jon
Quote:Originally posted by JeremyL
Just to echo Bachus' request...

I've been teaching myself how to read sheet music over the past few months, and today I attempted my first original composition. Appreciate any feedback or suggestions for ways to improve.

midi file: http://www.geocities.com/salisburgensis/

To offer feedback or advice it might be helpful to know more about how you created it. How did you go about composing it? What was your process?

-Jon
JeremyL
Unregistered

I used Melody Assistant X to place the notes on staves, and tried to arrange them in such a way that they created harmonies that sounded interesting to me. I realize it's pretty bad, I'd just like some honest advice while I'm starting out.

(The sheet music I've been studying from is mostly Renaissance polyphonic and choral vocal music.)
Two more:

Test Song 3
Test Song 4

Quote:Exactly what are you looking for for Galaxy Lancer's music? I mean, I don't see a reason why those tracks you have couldn't be used in a game. It just depends what you are going for.

That's one of the problems. I can't decide which style of music I'm going for. Do I want some orchestral-style music like Giga Wing 2? Or do I want some manic techno? Or maybe some trance? That's part of the reason I'm doing these test songs to decide on what I like best.

Quote:Also, how are you planning on releasing it? Shareware, freeware, etc.

I'm definitely going to try and sell it, thus the comment about it not being "right" to ask someone to work for free.

Quote:I was also wondering if you were using SpriteWorld for your animation? Or homebrew?

Some of it is really old legacy code that I got years ago from Tricks of the Mac Game Programming Gurus (like updateRect lists). A little bit is from SpriteWorld (BlitPixie and a little bit of SpriteFrame code to be compatible with BlitPixie). Everything else (resource loading, game logic, interface, star field, etc) is my own.
Greg Gant
Unregistered

I gave a listen but I'm a horrible judge of techno (I'm guessing it falls under trance) so my input is gonna be limited.

It sounded like standard shooter game music and all of it sounded fairly well mastered for being firsts and it certainly had plenty of ambient sfx. In test song 2, there's a strings piece that comes in and out fairly quick that is very over powering volume wise. Just crank the volume down.

I haven't played with Soundtrack but I imagine is loop based correct so just drag n drop to your liking right? If its all possible, breaking out from loop based apps gives you plenty of freedom but requires a helluva lot of time to develop composition skills and familiarity with midi.
Quote:Originally posted by JeremyL
I used Melody Assistant X to place the notes on staves, and tried to arrange them in such a way that they created harmonies that sounded interesting to me. I realize it's pretty bad, I'd just like some honest advice while I'm starting out.

(The sheet music I've been studying from is mostly Renaissance polyphonic and choral vocal music.)

Sorry for the late reply, I've been horribly sick and had antibiotic reactions on top of that.

What you've done sounds like a good start. It's great that you're teaching yourself music. What I'd recommend to start learning more is to go through some of that sheet music you've been studying, and trying to play around with some of the notes and rhthyms. See what happens when you changes a note, see if you can change it so it still sounds musical, but definitely different.

Also perhaps for starting out, you might want to try and stick with a 4/4 time signature, and keep 8 bar phrases. Also keep in an "easy" key signature like C (major) and try to learn what different harmonies and chords sound like. If any of these terms don't make sense, I'd suggest looking for an intro theory book at a library or music literature store. Best of luck!

-Jon
JeremyL
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by aarku

Also perhaps for starting out, you might want to try and stick with a 4/4 time signature, and keep 8 bar phrases. Also keep in an "easy" key signature like C (major) and try to learn what different harmonies and chords sound like. If any of these terms don't make sense, I'd suggest looking for an intro theory book at a library or music literature store. Best of luck!

Thank you for the reply Jon, I appreciate the advice and encouragement. I will follow your suggestions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  what kind of tool did they use for toca boca hair salon 2 ? asweare 0 2,261 Aug 29, 2013 02:13 AM
Last Post: asweare
  First attempt at CG Darkgold 39 14,853 Jul 7, 2003 04:18 AM
Last Post: death_himself
  First attempt at game music - Feedback please Greg Gant 13 8,765 Jun 18, 2003 03:16 AM
Last Post: Greg Gant
  First attempt at large pixel art(not a edit :P ) Joseph Duchesne 2 3,523 May 14, 2003 05:15 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho