Need help with 2D animation

Sage
Am I correct in thinking that you are not yet familiar with trigonometry?

distance in y direction = cos(angle) * distance
distance in x direction = sin(angle) * distance

Very basic trig, you need only to know what angle your sprites are pointed it.
Luminary
Uh, usually in math, x = distance * cos(angle), and y = distance * sin(angle).

In computer graphics, of course, it depends on whether y goes "up" or "down", where you decide angle zero is, and whether you choose to measure angles clockwise or counterclockwise.
Yes you are correct I got shafted in middle school when my 6th grade teacher put me into general math instead of pre algebra. I am now a senior about to take trig. If I had instruction Im sure I could figure it out though.

-CarbonX
davecom
Unregistered

Don't worry, I've taken several years of trig. and am still yet to successfully apply it in my games.
Thanks for all the help everybody!!! Now in order to complete my game that I am creating ( I hope to make it into a tutorial for all of the people who need a little more instruction on making games). Is a good way to create a tiling engine. perhaps a simple one as found in really old school RPGs or a little more complex like the one found in BOOM. I have a book (Tricks of the mac game programming gurus) that roughly outlines how to do this but shows nothing about how to implement it. Thanks for your input.

-Carbon X
Sage
Gak, OSC you're right. How did I do that?
Horray, my computer is back from warranty repair.
Quote:Originally posted by aarku
This question has been coming up on the SpriteWorld mailing list, so I wanted to ask you and idevgames too. Why do you want to do your own engine? I'll run over the reasons off the top of my head why I suggest to use SpriteWorld:

Some people code because they like creating things. Like Prefontaine said, every time he runs a race he is creating something beautiful. Or some such thing.

Not necessarily an ego trip, but say if you wanted to make your wife a coffee table for her birthday, because your wife and you are 40 years old and a 12 pack of corona isn't good anymore. Would you have someone else carve the table, and then you could paint it and say you made a table for her?

But hey, Bill Gates took some code, modified it, and became the richest man in the world. He's also a d-bag, and anyone that has the same mentality as his should get t-bagged, for shizzlebag.
I am a programmer because I love to create things. And because I am not a professional and I am still learning some things I feel no need to use third party engines for doing my games.

-CarbonX
Thread Closed