Mosquito Fighter Test Available for Download! please try it

http://shamrock.med.nyu.edu/~garcij01/

Please don't be shy about giving feedback :-)
Quote this message in a reply
download link doesn't seem to work Sad
file doesn't exist?

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
Opps! bad character on link.
Try again please :-)
I like the look.

The "press here to start" message is strange because if you click on the 't' it doesn't register, but if click anywhere to the left of the message (not on it) it does register.

I like the explosion effects and you paid good attention to sound and indicators (like when the shots hit your fighter.) The mosquito fighter itself has a lot of character.

It flies like a spaceship though, doesn't it? If you roll the fighter, shouldn't it naturally begin to turn slightly and then when you pull "up" the turn is more drastic? As it is, there is NO turning until you pull up. Hmm...

I'm physics illiterate, but it felt strange to me right from the start.

A great start!

Aaron

Nice! Thats great, It runs fast and looks pretty good!
The physics are not accurate at all, I just try to make controls as simple as those 80's classics, I even try to make the graphics kinda old, but yeah physics is high in my list.
That's the kind of comment/criticism that I'm looking forward to so I can improve the game.

Thank you for your input! :-)
I think you should use a WASD system instead of a arrows and +-. Its really awkward to use arrows if your used to FPS
Looks cool!

I found it difficult to control to control the ship. An option to invert the up/down controls might help.

I also felt that it was difficult to see around the Mosquito... perhaps a cockpit view or make the Mosquito transparent (or even wireframe)?

Having a missile camera would be cool! Perhaps even a small window in the upper-left corner which shows what the missile/cannon sees, for targetting purposes.

Other than that, looks awesome Wink

Cheers,
Rocco
jamie
Unregistered

Very nice overall, my big complaint is that I found it hard to fly. I agree that inverting the up/down might help, but also I expected that when I would tilt the plain left or right that it would turn in that direction, at least slightly and that does not seem to happen.
That's really good! I love the vehicle design and the auto-targetting weapons. The unusual control system and non-aerodynamic flight really make it stand out, too. I think it should be more manoeuvrable, though, because it feels a bit like a flying wardrobe at the moment! Wink I'd also like to see the camera view roll with the fighter, as that would probably make the controls less confusing and the visuals more exciting.

It actually reminds me a lot of something I tried to write when I first started programming on the Mac. I wanted to make a flight sim with a strange hovering vehicle which worked a bit like yours, except it could fly in any direction, not just forwards. Maybe Mosquito could benefit from the ability to fly sideways (a bit like sidestepping in an FPS), because it would help the player to attack targets by flying around them instead of going straight ahead.

One slight bug (in my opinion) - you have to press the accelerate/decelerate buttons repeatedly to change speed. It would be better if you could hold them down.

Anyway, it looks very promising. I'll look forward to seeing future updates!

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Just wanted to second the notion that changing the camera viewpoint while rolling is a good idea. Then pull up actually pulls UP on the screen.

Using ADSW keys for control makes a lot of sense too, as it makes easy access for your missle button ® and targeting (TAB) and then frees up your right hand for speed control (-,+)

Aaron

Dude! You HAVE to keep going with this. It's a great start! It's been ages since I started up a game and the words, "this is cool" came out of my mouth.Wow
Very cool. Smile I agree that the camera should rotate with the fighter; that would help steering quite a bit. I'd also like to suggest that you look into adding HID support, since a joystick would be perfect for this game, but I would completely understand if you decided not to, given the current state of the HID "documentation".
Bug: If I hold down the r key for rockets and too many of them fire then the sounds screw up from the explosions and kills the engine channel and rockets keep exploding (sound only) in the last place they hit.

I think the flight controls are great. It's nearly impossible to make good flight controls with a keyboard and I think they came out well. I wish the roll was just a little faster. Being able to plug in a joystick would be a major plus but it isn't required. I'd like to be able to pan around the fighter with the camera. I wish the target acquired with the tab key would hold on that target until I tab off of it, or it's destroyed, or it's out of range.

Your graphics are truly awesome as they are, but I think it would be totally cool to have a transparent cockpit canopy with some billboards of a pilot and the interior. Some moving control surfaces would really kick ass. For a night mission it would be cool to see some subtle light maps on the fighter and some blinking position lights. And a flood light! What? That brings me to another idea...

I don't know what you're planning on doing with the game but here's an idea: There was this old 2D game called Oids I used to play a lot. I don't know if anyone remembers it but the idea was to destroy enemy defenses and rescue people from different planets. It could be done in Mosquito fighter as well. You break through the enemy defenses to get to the refugee camps. Then you land and let them run to the ship so you can pick them up. That's where a spotlight for a night mission would come in handy. The reason I thought of this was that when I pull the power off in Mosquito Fighter it makes a nice decent so I thought it might land but it blew up instead.:sorry: It'd be neat to see some landing gear pop out close to landing. It would also be nice to see some retro landing jets appear when the throttle is pulled back. Maybe some steam coming out upon landing like the Millenium Faclon or something. I'd better stop, I have a lot of ideas where this thing could go. Can't wait to find out!
Uhm How do you turn?
I got the plane to speed up, roll alot , dive, but there was no left right movement.
from the Docs:
UP-DOWN ARROW : pull up/down
LEFT-RIGHT ARROW : roll ship
SPACE BAR : fire gun
R : fire rockets / respawn
TAB : lock-on next target
+ : accelerate
- : deaccelerate
M : toggle map
1 : default view
2 : front view
3 : right view
4 : left view
5 : gun view
H : help menu

I don't see any left/right headings.
Ahah..tried it again, it only turns on its head.
Thats odd. Shouldn't it have rudders to allow normal turning styles?

To my knowledge most jets, especially combat jets, don't need to go upside down to make a 15 degree turn.

This would make a funny airliner simulation if you had a "cabin" view. All the folks flipping around the compartment.
Combat Air:Tickets are cheap but life is cheaper

It looks real good. I think though the crash into water, since the water is not fluid, should go into cockpit mode, so you don't lose the illusion that its water.
Just lots of smoke and fire in the screen to let you know...you died.

I like the windowed mode, too.

Funky Mosguito Fighter, keep it up.

(hehe, when I first read the name, I thought it was about stopping the west nile virus...hehe)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Corrupted FBO, can people download my app and tell me if it breaks for you? TomorrowPlusX 22 7,403 Aug 3, 2006 03:46 PM
Last Post: Duane