Mac + D&D = GOOD TIMES

BlueAvian
Unregistered

So, I am planning to make some D&D utilities, fist they will be just the utilities, then I plan to put them into a D&D based game engine. Then the though came across my mind, would anyone really use this stuff??? Please tell me if you would, this is kinda my determining factor if I am going to do this or not. Also, if you have any suggestions to add or put in please tell me, thx.

P.S. Feel free to e-mail me also at BlueJaySnow@yahoo.com.
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
To avoid legal problems I suggest you make your utility like a database. Allow the user to create a stat field, and determine what type of field, for example a text field, or a number field or a randomly generated field, etc. If you select random generated field, you can then set the range (ie max is 18, etc) And so on... Think like this, and I think many people would use it. What's more, it would work for other RPGs as well. Also have a layout editor, like Filemaker to allow them to place rthe various fields any place they want. And have the fields effect other fields, like doing calculations, etc

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
You need to look and the D20 Open Gaming license to avoid legal issues...

You can not use the term D&D or distribute a utility that contains any D&D monsters of stats or names etc since the copyright of those belongs to wizards of the cost etc.

- Mac Lead ZeniMax Online Studios
- Owner Plaid World Studios
- Resume: http://www.chrisdillman.com
BlueAvian
Unregistered

I'm not worryed about that at all. First because its going to be free. Second, if its the utility, then what would they sue me for, helping them promote D&D. Although IF/When I make the game, I will talk to them.
Quote:Originally posted by BlueAvian
I'm not worryed about that at all. First because its going to be free. Second, if its the utility, then what would they sue me for, helping them promote D&D. Although IF/When I make the game, I will talk to them.

Yes they can sue you for "helping them promote D&D"
Trademark infringment etc.

You might call it a D20 or D&D compatible utility...
But you still can not legal do somthing like make a level editor with D&D monsters in it
stats etc... all the monster data is owned.

Wizards of the coast still owned by Hasbro?
They have been rather sue happy.

Definitely worry about it. But you can easily save yourself the worry by just making it D20 system compatible and following that license. For instance if one of the utitlities you are planning on is a PC Generator... Wizards has one of their own so I'm sure they'd make a fuss about you using D&D.

FreeCraft was also free, and look what happened to that...

-Jon
BlueAvian
Unregistered

After taking you guys up on the warning about legal issues, I just decided to e-mail Wizards and this is the reply I recieved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:33:21 PM US/Eastern
To: "Karoo Neem" <Karoo@tabbykat.com>
Subject: RE: Legal Information Pertaining to RPG software

You are free to do this as long as the software is in compliance with the Open Gaming License. For more information on this, please visit http://www.wizards.com/d20 and http://www.opengamingfoundation.org.

**Please quote this e-mail in any reply.**
Darrin
Wizards of the Coast - Customer Service
Game Support Phone: 1-800-324-6496
Monday through Friday, 9 AM - 7 PM PST
Corporate Phone: (425) 226-6500

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 12:25 PM
To: Wizards Customer Service
Subject: Legal Information Pertaining to RPG software

I am a student developer. I have been planning to produce and
distribute a free set of RPG "Role Playing Game" Utilities (based on
the d20 system) for the Macintosh OSX platform.

I would like to know what legal problems I could encounter while doing
this, and any methods that would be acceptable to avoid them, so I can
successfully produce the RPG Utilities.

The programs I intend to produce are as follows: A Character
Creator/Manager; A World Creator/Manager; A DM Program that integrates
both other programs, and includes other DM helpful content.

If this is the wrong department and/or e-mail to request this
information, please redirect me to the appropriate place. I thank you
for your time and effort , and thank you for a prompt response.

Sincerely,
Chase Grozdina

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, so I have read the licences and it is quite easy to do what I want to do. So, now I would like to return this thread to the original purpose. Which was to get some feedback if about anyone will really use this software, and any suggestions about what you might want in it. Thx.
Ok, so I have read the licences and it is quite easy to do what I want to do.

1. WOW I swear that is WHAT I TOLD YOU TO DO Wow

2. Yes people will use such tools.

3. Do a search google and version tracker for such tools on Mac and Win32.

On the win side you will find a bunch of them including a number of good commercial ones.

Last year I went to GenCon and saw at least 4 companies offering tools for managing D20 games from character creation to dungeon layout to running games on line.

Most if not all were PC centric Sad

So study those for starters to get ideas...

4. I will be at GenCon again this year ( next week infact ) and I will be checking out all the new products etc. My sister will be in the art show with a artist booth set up if anyone wants to meet or locate me drop by there Grin

EonBleu
Unregistered

There are two ok D20 apps for the mac (OSX apps) The first one is PCGen (http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/) but that's still in development, and then Crystal Ball (http://homepage.mac.com/crystalballmac/).

I would suggest proggraming it for v3.5, because that will likely be the standard when you release it.

Are you planning to have the app strictly as a preparation type thing, or do you want the possebility of using it during a session (i.e. a battle tracker ect.)?

here are some features I'd suggest. Mostly things I would use a lot.

Printing out Character Sheets is very nice (look around the net for some custom ones, and model yours after the ones you like most)

Treasure Generator: You put in the creature type, and the CR/EL and it generates treasure. you could have catagories that you could specify to include/exclued via checkboxes maybe. like yes, gems, no weapons, no scrolls, yes money ect.

NPC Generator: Either random, or specific, or random within a certain range (i.e age 18-25, Level 1-5 ect.)

Name Generator: I have a horrible time coming up with names. Subcatagorize them them by culture (Celtic, Arabic, German ect.)

Allow Users to Add: people always want to put their own twist on their campaigns/characers, and the best incentive for them to use your program would be the ability to add different things, like new treasure types/items, races, classes, names ect. have a forum or something on the net where users can upload their additions, sort of like the add-ons for EV Nova (or include files you like with newer releases)

I'm sure there's more (there's always more) but that's all I can think of right now. I hope it's helpful.
I would totally use it. It would be cool if you could make an engine and network it and stuff. But, unfortunately, you might get sued, so , oh well
Quote:Originally posted by EvolPenguins
I would totally use it. It would be cool if you could make an engine and network it and stuff. But, unfortunately, you might get sued, so , oh well

Sounds like you did not read the whole thread and have not looked at the Open Gamming license etc...

Go do that..

Founder
If I recall, Ambrosia has two utilities for generating names for Coldstone. Pretty neat. It would indeed be neat to have a utility to handle even a greater range of names from various cultures or also for naming planets, etc.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
ThePenguin
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by ChrisD
Sounds like you did not read the whole thread and have not looked at the Open Gamming license etc...

Go do that..

Sorry,

I will. Sorry about talking without thinking. I do that sometimes.
Matt Brown
Unregistered

I'd use it. Now all I need is a Player's Handbook...
One time my friends wanted to play D&D. We had the manuals, but no dice. I programmed a quick Cocoa application for dice-rolling. It was actually one of the most fun projects I've ever done because it worked exactly as I wanted it after the first compile, and it also gave me an opportunity to show all my friends how easy Cocoa really is!
Okay, now that that's out of my system, I would definitely use it. Include a dice roller in it (hopefully a bit more advanced than mine) so that if somebody wants to play D&D and they have the manuals and your program but no dice, they are still covered.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why good ideas beat good graphics BeyondCloister 38 15,881 Jun 6, 2005 09:38 AM
Last Post: Dan Potter
  load times skyhawk 20 7,580 May 22, 2003 01:45 PM
Last Post: w_reade