Static Shadowing with shadow maps

Me again!

My terrain looks kind of flat, and was thinking of baking the shadows, and the applying a pass to make the scene look shadowed.

My terrain is pretty big and I have to use different textures to make the landscape look not so pixilated, and in most cases tiling textures. So I though that applying a 512x512 shadow map to the whole terrain will help on adding depth to the scene.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again...
Quote this message in a reply
Feanor
Unregistered

Shadow maps (aka light maps) require that you create them in the first place, and then create a method for producing the combined textures. I got lost on learning this, but usually it requires a processing phase on your scene model which produces the light maps, usually with the help of a radiosity algorithm to calculate them.

What's wrong with using OpenGL's own lighting? Light maps give the illusion of complex lighting and are necessary for self-shadowing if you don't want to write a dynamic self-shadowing renderer (and I'm sure you don't), but will self-shadowing be essential to your game? Of course light maps are much better looking that vertex lighting, and faster to render, at least indoors. On terrain, it is probably a whole other ballgame.
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2d shadow blending problems tesil 1 5,694 Mar 17, 2011 10:12 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  iPhone 3GS Shadowing Bug Bersaelor 6 10,460 Dec 28, 2010 04:08 PM
Last Post: jarodl
  Shadowing bug TomorrowPlusX 6 4,810 Feb 1, 2010 12:00 PM
Last Post: DoG
  Replacing edges with degenerate quads (for shadow volumes) Coyote 9 7,701 Jan 15, 2010 07:08 PM
Last Post: Coyote
  Shadow Mapping - Self-Shadowing Z-Fighting Artifacts Bachus 16 21,384 Feb 11, 2009 12:24 PM
Last Post: arekkusu