Mac/PC 3D Engines

Kogr
Unregistered

Just a reality check:

Currently, the best option for developing a commercially viable 3D action game for release on Macs and PCs is the Torque Engine? I don't care if the development has to happen on one platform or the other. I just don't want to build it all PC and then have to hire Westlake or somebody to port it. Am I missing an obvious engine here? NetImmerse and LithTech always talk about a Mac tool/add-on/meatgrinder but I have not seen one yet.

Thanks Blink
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Quake I & Quake II engines are free. Quake III's obviously a good choice if you've got the dosh.
Torque is certainly viable. I really like it but there are also some issues with it like what to do for content creation ( among others ). Tools are freely available but they're pc only. At least it'll build natively on the Mac. I have lots of thoughts on Torque but my basic opinion is that it just isn't quite there yet. Close though, and if you have the skills to deal with something of its complexity then you should have no problem with it. The license is very generous. Quake is also awesome without a doubt. You can check out the licensing info here: http://www.idsoftware.com/business/home/...icense.php
Kogr
Unregistered

Thanks, guys. I'll definitely look into the older Quakes. Cool