What kind of game do you want to play on the Mac?

Alex
Unregistered

It'd be fun to see some kind of creative and complex domino-toppling game. Put in enough fun enviroments and objects and the game would be a blast. It would also be a great way to lay down some fundamentals like collision detection and physics for a more complex game later.
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Originally posted by death_himself
Oh and I'd like to second the duelling game (cos its online, and you get to win stuff, even if its not real, pretty cool)...hopefully if anyone made that a game tracker would be set up so opponents could be found Smile.

Edit: btw, whats an ATC simulator?

All Terrain Cycle, maybe?
Quote:Originally posted by death_himself
Oh and yah, OS9 compatible, for us with no money.

uDG2003 is OS X only, you are out of luck.
Quote:Originally posted by skyhawk
uDG2003 is OS X only, you are out of luck.

Yes, but people can still enter games that support OS 9, so long as they also run natively under X.
DavidJJ
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Daniel_Lurie
All Terrain Cycle, maybe?

Air Traffic Control. A great stress-relieving game, for sure.

David Grin

I'm all for the second magic dueling game though too.
Here's a wild one:

*crack* *fshhhhhhhhhhhhh* *glug glug glug----glug*

I remember a few years back that Budweiser (funy that I can't spell simpleer words) had a commercial about beating the "Beer Belly" for a lite beer they make. They have a guy running for his life around a corner, soon followed by a giant bouncing belly. He dodges pedesrians and obstancles running as fast as he can, but then the belly hops on a motorcyle and easily catches up. In last minute desparation the guy jumps in the river and starts swimming.

If someone wants a commical theme, they could have a guy running from a giant belly. If the belly catches up with him, he is doomed to never lose the wieght again. If he runs into homing hamburgers/ exploding hot dogs/ shooting chili pies he becomes slower. *You take it from here*

Darn. I guess I need another Bud.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Quote:Originally posted by Alex
It'd be fun to see some kind of creative and complex domino-toppling game. Put in enough fun enviroments and objects and the game would be a blast. It would also be a great way to lay down some fundamentals like collision detection and physics for a more complex game later.

That sounds like a very cool idea. Throw in fully customizable dominoes (color, size, etc), saveable files that other people can load in and watch and edit, special tools to place the dominoes (align selection, draw a bezier line that has dominoes placed automatically, etc), and a standard model format so that anyone can add in new ramps/staircases/etc.

I have too many projects lined-up to work on it myself, but I'd definitely like to see this one done.
Snrub
Unregistered

Goofy Flyers

Concept in my head is a kiddie type flight sim, but not with life like physics. Sort of like Bumber Planes (i.e. similar to the Bumber Cars at the carnivals). Planes should be easy to fly with just a few simple controls (up, down, left, right, accelerate, decelerate) and could bounce off of each other. Would like to see the game with a goofy/funny cartoonish look and feel.

I would like to see a free flight mode where you could just practice flying on any available course.

There would be a variety of courses (course editor would be cool), like:
ïplain oval course
ïoval course with floating rings (rings are worth different amounts of points or rewards/penalties)
ïcanyon course
ïunderground course
ïflat maze course
ï3d maze course (like a 3d maze puzzle box)
ïfigure eight course
ïstraight run course
ïchallenge course (various types with objects to collect and/or goals to meet)
ïplus many more

And there could even be variation of the courses with various obsticles/aids.

Obsticles:
water spouts, tornadoes, swarms of bugs, walls, collapsing walls/bridges/buildings, spouts of flame/steam/water/mud, Persey the pelican who lands in front of your window and blocks your view for a short period, etc. (see older arcade games for more ideas)

Aids:
acceleration/repair/fuel rings/pads/cloud/balloons, warp jumps, invisibility, invincibility, etc. (see older arcade games for more ideas)

Collectibles:
missles/traps to be collected and sprung on your openents (bubble gum missile sticks to your opponent and gums them to the terrain or gums up the engine for a short duration), rubberband missile attaches to your opponent and gives you a short speed boost, pie in the sky - fired at you opponent blocks their vision for short duration, anvil missile - attaches heavy anvil to opponent for short duration

More in game fun:
ïfollow the leader race - you are scored according to how close you match the leaders path.
ïtag - whoever is IT the longest time is the loser
ïreverse tag - IT the least time is the winner
ïpaint ball - non lethal dog fighting
ï(see other games for more ideas)

Constructo-plane editor - arrange your plane however you want. And no matter how weird it looks, it still flies.

Adjustable sliders for game physics:
ïincrease/decrease weight - lighter planes fly a little faster, but also bounce farther when struck, heavy planes fly a little slower but don't bounce as much.
ï increase/decrease agility - more means sharper turns but some acceleration is lost, less means you sacrifice sharper turning but don't lose as much acceleration.
ï(other adjustments - I couldn't think of any more that would maintain game balance)

It would be nice if could be played single-player against AI flyers, and/or multiplayer, with or without teams.

(teams, yea, more ideas, tag team races, relay races.... the mind boggles with ideas and I'm sure others could add more ideas to this game)
death_himself
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Mazilurik
Yes, but people can still enter games that support OS 9, so long as they also run natively under X.

This really sucks Sad ...I were hoping that someday my programming skills would get better and I could enter into this contest, but that's all ruined because I simply won't be able to afford a new mac...sigh, oh well.

Anyway, just wondering, whats the likelyhood of there being any good OS9 compatible games? Ideally everyone would make an OS9 version...but obviously thats not gonnah happen...point is, is anyone planning on making there's OS9 compatible? Sorry, off-topic, and I prolly won't get an answer.
Well, I tried to take up for guys like you when this was all being discussed, but they turned in favor of OSX. Perhaps you could make it carbon? Or partner with someone who has OSX?

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
In response to the domino idea, I think that's doable, although it might be slowed down by the incredible amount of collision detection you would have to do. Then again, I'm thinking in METAL terms, but if I were thinking in Java terms, it might be quite a bit easier and/or faster.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Not neccesarily. You would use a matrix dominomatrix(x_block,y-block,datas), and place a domino in each spot. Then just use the data part to determine which direction it falls. If it falls into an occupied spot, then the falling block status is passed on to that point in the matrix.
In addition, just updating the part of the screen that changed is a bit more trouble, but it buys you about 30-50 frames, depending on what you are doing.

Boyarsky
Unregistered

I was thinking of something along the lines of Test Drive 5 or 6, with the long cross-country runs..

Except this time with local roadways & scenery. I have driven around Feirbanks here for years & there are a dozen good race routes-- Uphill, turns, some races would last 3-5 minutes, others could run for 10-20 minutes..

Is there a way this could be done with submitted video footage.. through my windshield? And the background scenery of the Alaska Range would be cool!

Heck as an added twist,,, when we go fishin in 3 different cars were always passin & goofin with each other. Theres another idea..

Start off with a race to get to the fishin hole.. go fishin.. The contest is First to the hole, and when fishin first, & biggest, & most fish. Then after fishin you could sit around a campfire shootin BB guns at CDs for beer till you're passed out.

I know that sounds like 3 games.. (It's a weekend fishin up here) but it would be interesting to play womething like that...

Just my 2¢
John Boyarsky
Fairbanks, Alaska
If I get a uDevGame entry out the door it will be Carbon, with OS 9 definitely supported. I imagine there will be some OS X only entires, but also quite a few 9/X entries as well. Also, you can compile for OS X in OS 9... Eric had Snake Quest OS X compatible before either he or I had OS X; and we just had a few cosmetic bugs to fix when we finally were able to test the OS X version.
Quote:If I get a uDevGame entry out the door it will be Carbon, with OS 9 definitely supported.

DaFalcon is DaMan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  opinion:game battle engines, what's the best kind? link_jr97 7 6,125 Sep 18, 2004 03:38 PM
Last Post: link_jr97