What kind of game do you want to play on the Mac?

Matt Brown
Unregistered

I'm doing a farm sim. No one touch.
I wanna see a Sims\AC style game, maybe multiplayer, maybe not.
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
More requests...

* 2d hockey game. Maybe top down view
* revisit the "button soccer" game we talked about
* a baseball manager game (not arcade, but manager)
* a WWE manager game (ie play Vince) again not arcade, but more of a biz sim
* Quix... because we don't have this game on the Mac OS X, and it would be easy to make
* along those lines, Grid Runner from the C64 days
* a new take on Missile Command
* Omega Race... a great vector graphics arcade game
* food fight or Robotron type games are also nice

I hope everyone's ideas will inspire the people who plan to enter.

p.s. uDevGame is for GAME DEV, not for tools.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
JAS__
Unregistered

Abuse - another game with similar gameplay to abuse from crack.com! I'm working on a sequel, but the guys that are coding it seem to be PC only users - it's opensource, so someone can port it later...

ABUSE, or an old school METAL GEAR type game in the style of the gameboy color sequel and/or the msx versions!
311zealot
Unregistered

*****ATTENTION ALL DEVELOPERS*****

THIS IS MY IDEA FOR A REVOLUTIONARY EXPERIENCE IN GAMING HISTORY. ALTHOUGH THIS WOULD TAKE TIME TO DEVELOP, PLEASE BARE WITH MY DEMANDS.

THIS IS THE PERFECT GAME

-Grand Theft Auto 3, meets Shenmue (look it up if you havent heard of it), meets The Sims
-Linear, no specific objective gameplay for long replay value
-URBAN CITY TYPE SETTING!!! (GTA, Shenmue, and Black Shades did this all so well!)
-a living, breathing city like GTA's and Shemue's
-High levels of exploration (signs to see, buildings able to be entered, items to find, ect.)
-graphics wouldnt matter as long as it would be an ok texture mapped 3d that any mac in the last few years could handle. (i would gladly settle for a small step up from Black Shades)
-abillity to chose your type of character (like diablo), and possibly your role in society
-expandibillty/modibility/downloadable extras and features as development progresses
-possible multiplayer (think grand theft auto, but you can choose to be a pedestrian, the police, or a robber,ect.)
-interaction/conversation with cpu characters however little
-no stupid cheat codes
-carbonized app
-As realistic as realistic can be (even more so than GTA, more like SHENMUE)
-little or no storyline, as life has no definite storyline and a game of this nature wouldnt need one
-Strong emphasis on the abillity to free roam without limits of time or another likeness
-side missions/objectives to keep you ocupied(job,ect,ect.)

Keep some of these ideas in mind when you developers begin your projects on whatever.
And now lets take a look back at past games that have almost got it completely right.

Black Shades: Black Shades was a great game. It had a signifigant ammount of realism as well as a interesting plot. The many different ways to take down an assassin was brilliant. You could take others weapons (of course) and use them against others.

The game had a somewhat convincing background, however underdeveloped and/ or bland. After beating this game, i didnt feel any urge to ever play it again. Although i cant fault the developer for rushing to meet deadline, I'll have to pass on the graphics. Sure they did have a couple of textures here and there, but not many. Character models were blocky at best.

Overall a good game, but needed more of an experience. Not allot of substance to it.

Grand Theft Auto 3: Grand Theft Auto 3 created a new level of interactivity. You could drive a vast arraw of vehicles. You could free roam and explore and terrorize whoever you please. The game really had a convincing level design and enviornment. You really felt like you were a part of the city

The game was unrealistic in some areas. The violence really wasnt all that necessary every darn second. The pollice often arrived all too swiftly following that afternoon joyride you went on. ect, ect.

Finally, SHENMUE!!!!!!!

For those of you that dont know what the heck this game is, it's an adventure game by Sega for Dreamcast and Xbox (Shenmue 2). It had remarkable graphics, a staggering level of interactivity, and an engrossing plot. The game at times switched to a Virtual Fighter Based fight scence, thus varrying the gameplay. You could rome around as you please, buying many things along the way and even go as far as playing games in an arcade (2 were actual sega games from the 80's) The weather often changed, allong with the sky's colorations. The game kept track of time, and worked it into the plot as well. Not enough can be said about this game!

Although this game had amazing gameplay, it had little replay value. The perfect game would have replay value do to no real ending (real life setting, remember?) Shenmue was darn close to a perfect game, combining adventure, interactivity, RPG elements, fighting, and lodes of extras to see along the way. Wouldnt it have been nice to have a game where you could just keep going, rather than follow a plot that would tell you otherwise?

Well those are my thoughts on how the perfect game should be like. I realize that for udevgames, this would be hard to meet deadline, if not impossible. All i am asking is that developers take at least a few of these sudgestion with them and build up an idea, possibly credit me for enlightenment (ahahahahahahahahahhaha..ha...ha....ha....ha......oh sorry.)

And for all you tools that just scrolled through the entire post, let me summarize what i just said. PEOPLE LOVE INTERACTIVITY. THEY LOVE REPLAY VALUE. THEY LOVE A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I WOULD BUY THIS TYPE OF GAME NO MATTER WHAT IT WOULD COST ME.

I sure hope this post has got someone thinking at least a tiny bit on how a great game should be. I am 15 years old, and i know the demographic i am placed in. People my age would go crazy over something like this (pending there'd be a Windows port). I don't have the resources, time, money or determination to accomplish such a feat as this. That's why i am leaving this up to you, brave developers. I know i am not alone in this crazy idea of mine.

If anyone would like to email me regarding this, mail me at 311zealot@earthlink.net

PS: research shenmue for more inspiration
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
More requests...

* a new take on Missile Command

Cheers

Been there.

Kimdom Come

Visit http://www.theDailyGrind.net for your recommended daily intake of embittered satire.
Quote:*****ATTENTION ALL DEVELOPERS*****

THIS IS MY IDEA FOR A REVOLUTIONARY EXPERIENCE IN GAMING HISTORY. ALTHOUGH THIS WOULD TAKE TIME TO DEVELOP, PLEASE BARE WITH MY DEMANDS.

THIS IS THE PERFECT GAME

lol. Come on, that one scratches the surface. Sure, its nice, but its not a completely new experience, just a detailed one. Go over to the "Help Wanted" and get a project started(with yourself as the manager) if you want to go somewhere with it.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
death_himself
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Dr. Light
Not neccesarily. You would use a matrix dominomatrix

At first I read that as dominatrix Blush .

...anyway, thats good to hear, people going Carbon...I didn't actually know what running natively in OSX meant...and I'm still a lil lost.

Anyway, as for the Shenmue idea...hohum. Yah, as someone else said, its not really that revolutionary, and you really have to think about how the multiplayer would work. Personally, I thought Shenmue's plotline was a load of shite, it was tollerably cheesey to begin with (the cornyness actually made it quite good, with it being set in the eighties and all, it was just like a bad kung-fu film)...but, geez, what was up with the ending of Shenmue 2? It went all fucking magical...that ruined it for me...and I never got the idea of the city being a city...it was too small, not enough people, certainly not enough jobs (two). Sorry, going off-topic. I hear the creator is going to do something similiar but in a cartooney virtua fighter kids form...should be interesting Smile . Sorry, off-topic again, basically, a little too ambitous, because of all the content that needs to be created, the amount of different jobs that would need to be individually programmed, making every part of the city look distinct, etc.

Not too sure what I'm adding to the thread here...
My request....

Something that uses SpriteWorld. Version 3.0b2 is out and is wicked cool, and could use some publicity. (Can you say effortless hardware acceleration!?) A higher fun to development cost can be achieved by sticking to a simple 2D game! I think Carlos has some great ideas for games, why don't more listen to the guy!? Blink

-Jon
Ninja
Wow, lots of good ideas. I've gone from not having enough ideas to having too many!

I'm leaning towards the top-down racing game. But I'm still not sure.

> I'm doing a farm sim. No one touch.

Hasn't SimFarm already filled that spot? I like that game.

Chris Burkhardt
death_himself
Unregistered

Quote:Hasn't SimFarm already filled that spot? I like that game

I'm hoping it'll be more like that farm game on the snes, you know the one, where you can get a wife and all?...the really sappy one. BUT, with more content, a goal, and, well, more farm stuff, you know, herding, proper multi-tasking.

On that multi-tasking note, how about a simple chef sim? It'd be resource management like, you'd have to chop up vegetables (this could be a rythm-action game, press say, space to the beat to chop the cucumber) whilst switching back to stirring the pot and shouting out orders to other chefs and making sure you don't get overpiled with work (it would be like a factory line)...hope I'm making sense...and combine that with a system to create your own recipes, and a restaurant design thing, it'd be very simple, perhaps add in some restaruant business management to boot, I don't know why that other restaurant game took so long to make.
Max
Carlos, Ground Zero Software is developping a 2D ice hockey game called "Frozen Squid". The project is quite old (more than 4 years). Maybe iDevGames members can help.

As for game ideas, I really liked "Aerobiz"- an airline company simulator for SNES. Buy airplanes, create air routes, control prices, offer vacation packages... that was great! Imagine this game online!

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
Founder
Well, the games I suggest are games that can be done in 3 months. Some ideas here really are not for uDevGame, but for a long-term commitment. That's OK because most likely the people who post them don't know what it takes to make a 3d-based multi-player game that will be of AAA quality. Anyhow, it does give ideas to you for things that gamers want ... outside of uDevGame.

Spriteworld use would be good to see, that might even get someone my special Editor's nod prize... hint hint..

I think it is good to check out MAME and other emulators and take a close look at some of the classics. But keep in mind that you should always go for a new twist, like Airburst did with Warlords.

I haven't seen "Berserk" on the Mac, or the Colecovision upgrade called "Venture."

I was also thinking for someone wanting to make an OpenGL game, a Lunar Lander game would be interesting.

Another game I really enjoyed was Popeye on Colecovision and Donkey Kong Jr. Pitfall and Jungle Hunt also took ALOT of my free time. Using David's BlackShades skeleton code, and 3d engine, I could easliy see a 3d Pitall/Jungle hunt game made.

Speaking of his game..
>Character models were blocky at best.
Many gamers didn't "get" his approach to the visiuals in the game because everyone now expects all 3D games to have tons of textures and use high-polygon models.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
sherlock42
Unregistered

I would love to see a Mac-playable version of the old strategy board game "Scotland Yard," by Ravensburger. (See description of the board game here.)

Ideally, the game would allow the player to choose whether to play Mr. X, or the five detectives. The challenge of constructing the AI for the computerized players, though, is way beyond the limits of my paltry PHP and RealBasic skills.

I found the web site of a student who created a Linux version as a class project. It illuminates some of those difficulties in good detail.
mr. smith
Unregistered

What Palenoue said:

Quote:A toon first person shooter. I'm fed up with all of the grim blow 'em up first person shooter games. The only difference is the art and how the weapons blow people up. I'd like to play a toon game were you throw pies, drop anvils, and slip on a "Tex Avery Garter of Cross Dress" to turn into a cute woman that causes your opponent to stop his attack and act like a lust-crazed wolf for 30 second which would give me time to exchange the ax he's carrying with a large feather ;-)

But no, that's asking too much, the first person shooter genre is tightly controlled by the kill-kill-kill chiches and could _never_ have something lighthearted and silly breaking new ground.

I was thinking about what it is that makes Unreal Tournament so addictive. IT'S NOT THE VIOLENCE. I have to overcome my problems with the violence to play that game and I still go back...it's the action. It's the quick-twitch, my-reflexes-&-strategies-are-better-than-yours type of vibe that makes it so cool.

Imagine if you will a game based on the engine where the characters basically play an advanced game of tag. You can have net-shooting weapons that bag opponents and string 'em up temporarily, freeze weapons that uh...freeze, bubble weapons that send opponents floating toward the ceiling, glue guns, etc.

Imagine also the myriad types of deployment methods, skidding discs flying across the floor to "explode" in a flurry of bubbles.

Make it funny. You could spoof UT. Instead of "...And stay down!" characters could say things like "...And stay up!" as the hapless victim of a bubble attack rises through the air (you can tell I like that "bubble" concept, can't ya?).

It's all about using delays as weapons and tags as points. Every delay weapon sucessfully deployed counts as a point, with much the same goal as UT, most points wins.

Massive space for creativity here, maps, weapons, dialogue, you name it. Great target audience too, kids will actually be encouraged to play it.

I think it's crucial that it be kid-safe. I'm thinking of something that no kid can mine for violent purposes and then blame the game developers, like, say, the suggestively hyperviolent Tom & Jerry cartoon, yet not mind-numbing fluff like, say, Barney.

Humour is the key. Side-splitting family fun...not literally side splitting, because that'd be Unreal all over again...

I can think of more stuff if need be, but I think the concept is sound. Please run with it if you get the chance (or have the inclination Cool )

_____
smith
mr. smith
Unregistered

Oh, and the single most addictive game I've ever played is Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES (NOT SMB 1 or 2. Third time's the charm).

_____
smith

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  opinion:game battle engines, what's the best kind? link_jr97 7 5,955 Sep 18, 2004 03:38 PM
Last Post: link_jr97