What kind of game do you want to play on the Mac?

If someone could remake this, (or Populous):

The Haunting - Sega Genesis
Quote this message in a reply
death_himself
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
Speaking of his game..
>Character models were blocky at best.
Many gamers didn't "get" his approach to the visiuals in the game because everyone now expects all 3D games to have tons of textures and use high-polygon models.

I dunno why I'm commenting, but, personally I loved his visuals, they were sortah retro, BUT, because it ran on computers many times more powerfull than say, an Atari, it was smooth (well, not on my imac, but I'm sure it would be on a G4)...I always thought that the graphics were meant to be like that, but then that guy threw me off with that comment...now I'm lost.

As for people expecting AAA 3D titles...personally, I thought a stealthy fps would be possible because of Black Shades, I were thinking of quake (the original, or possibly the sequel) graphics or something, but with lots of dark spots and stuff, and no fancy shmancy effects, just a knife, and a sniper rifle, I'm not too sure how long the online part would take though...I imagine quite a while, considering things like predictive movement or whatever you call it would have to be created to minimise lag. Anyway, cam, you're right, I prolly got a bit too over ambitous.
Quote:Originally posted by Matt Brown
I'm doing a farm sim.

Can you make the arch-nemesis the French Ministry of Agriculture? If the player gets successful, a French "farmer" parks his tractor across their gate, and the EU tries to drown them in surplus butter?

Visit http://www.theDailyGrind.net for your recommended daily intake of embittered satire.
death_himself
Unregistered

Over here in Britain crop farmers make their money via government subsidies...they become millionaires and lie to the government about needing more money, whilst harvesting useless crops that no-one buys (they just shove them in warehouses...don't even bother selling them)...yeah, add that in!...I dunno what my point is Smile.
If you're going to add in the French Ministry, please be sure to add in the French Sheep Strike (a la Worms) Grin
Steven

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Bames53
Unregistered

*The submarine sim sounds cool. if it could be multi-player, it would be even better. and best (if something that won't happen can be good) would be massively multiplayer. besides the small amount of terrain there would be a few underwater cities to repair/refuel also the nations would be entirely player driven.

*a game like bolo would be fun. i think someone was working on it, but im not sure what happened there.

*a strategy bot builder. you design and build robots. you also program them using a simple scripting language (length of script depends on bots memory). you only get a certain amount of points to build with. and winning a level in single player would give you more points.

all that would be needed for multiplayer would be a web site to post bots. and some way to prove you beat the opponents bot. im not sure how the points would work out there.

*some sort of computer hacking sim. but the system would have to be more realistic than 'uplink' tho still simpler than real life. hopefully theres someone with an idea of how to get away from the script kiddy form of 'uplink'. there should also be a real world enviroment. the motovations for hacking will be like in deus ex.

*skeleton physics demo (in the form of a fighting game: 3-d/third person from behind). a game in which character models have 'bones' with 'tendons' at the joints. to move, the tendon's tension would be altered. rather than just setting the tendon absolutely, the tension is increased or decreased. collision detection is important. if you are walking and your foot catches something then you stumble. tendons can be broken if an opponent does something that stretches them to far. moves are scripted using a spreadsheet.

*game AI demo. game AI is really lacking. the only reason some games are hard is because there are lots of enemies or enemies have special abilities.

whatever form this game takes, most of the time should be spend on making a good game AI. the engine will be done simply.

enemies will not automatically know where you are. they will have a 'knowledge model'. if they see you they might recognize you. then they will do their best to kill you. they will enlist help by describing you and telling where you are to others. they may not know the map well and might have to search for paths to where you are. or search for things they think you want.

in addition to human tuned AI there should be some neural network created AI. the developer could create a typical map and put about three human made AIs in it. then put ten neural net players in for a few days of fighting. save the outcome. also a unit should be able to learn from the player.

maybe an enemy unit would keep an 'image' of the player in its mind. the image would have a script such that it acts as close as the enemy unit has seen to the real player. then the enemy unit runs simulations against the image and learns from that too.

and finally, i thought the graphics for Blackshades were great. any of these ideas that use a 3d engine would be great using something like blackshades' engine.
EonBleu
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Bames53
*a strategy bot builder. you design and build robots. you also program them using a simple scripting language (length of script depends on bots memory). you only get a certain amount of points to build with. and winning a level in single player would give you more points.

all that would be needed for multiplayer would be a web site to post bots. and some way to prove you beat the opponents bot. im not sure how the points would work out there.

I think that that's a good idea, however, I don't think that the majority of the gaming community has the programming skills/interest to stay interested with the game.

*skeleton physics demo (in the form of a fighting game: 3-d/third person from behind). moves are scripted using a spreadsheet.

Again, the programming bit. What about making a system where you can program, but aren't required to? That way, those without the desire to script don't have to, and for more advanced users, they can go into the programming of it.
[b]*skeleton physics demo (in the form of a fighting game: 3-d/third person from behind). a game in which character models have 'bones' with 'tendons' at the joints. to move, the tendon's tension would be altered. rather than just setting the tendon absolutely, the tension is increased or decreased. collision detection is important. if you are walking and your foot catches something then you stumble. tendons can be broken if an opponent does something that stretches them to far. moves are scripted using a spreadsheet.

*cough Lugaru cough cough*
Cool

Yeah Black Shades graphics were definitely meant to be like that, but were not optimized enough :/ If I knew then what I know now... Smile

BTW I think it would be nifty to make a multiplayer (i.e. Battlefield 1942) robot fps that had SOF2-ish damage modelling, but with robots to keep it a T or G rating and explain the whole respawning thing. If nobody does this I'm intending to this after Lugaru.

I think something to go for is simple rules, complex gameplay. I.e. Tetris, mario, pac man, bomberman. It would be very impressive if someone came up with an idea for something like this that is not a clone.

Also something to strive for is to just make addictive 'party' type games, like cave bombers, beam wars, super smash bro's and dome wars. There haven't been any games like this in the last few years, it seems.

Somebody should make a Sierra/Lucasarts style adventure, like the old versions of Monkey Island and Legend of Kyrandia and such, but with simpler graphics.

How about a jumping puzzle game like Spacestation Pheta?

I was just trying out some old mac games, and there are a lot whose styles seem to have died out, like shufflepuck, mazeworld (sort of surreal exploration thing), Sapiens (semi-3d caveman sim where you can wander around, carve arrows out of flint and use them to hunt, etc. but runs unplayably fast on new machines), Flashback and Prince of Persia (sideview action/adventure things), and so on.
Ah, yes... Flashback & PoP, those where great games. Hmm, that reminds me, I think I have Flashback here somewhere... Gotta play that again(I'm replaying alot of old games now, it started when I found a patch so that I could play Populous 2 in OS 9... So I'm currently replaying Populous 2, PiD, Warlords, Tubular Worlds and now Flashback!)

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Quote:Originally posted by EonBleu
[b]I think that that's a good idea, however, I don't think that the majority of the gaming community has the programming skills/interest to stay interested with the game.

As I recall, RoboWar was actually pretty popular... Although it would be difficult to retain its simplicity in a modern, detailed, 3D world (as opposed to a flat empty rectangle).
death_himself
Unregistered

Hey, how about a game that interprets html files and converts them into levels? I think that would be great, I mean, endless levels, but also, it would be quite imaginative, how you choose to have it interpretted, whether you make it an obvious interpretation or not...links could be doors to new levels, or not. And, most importantly, the source code would be great, though perhaps only to me...but, I think many people would find it interesting, no? Would it take long to do?
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Just to let you know, most web games build their levels off XML files. Go to Miniclip.com for a few examples of what I'm talking about. Rasp HTML is for web page markup, not games. BTW, Dim3 uses xml also.

>endless levels
HUH???!!!!

>Would it take long to do
There are CF funtions for XML parsing. The amount of time to code depends on how complex your format is and how good of a coder you are.
I think his point was that it would take a website, such as microsoft.com, and have it make a level out of it (such as making the Microsoft logo an enemy so that you can blast it to bits using your Bug Report automatic energy blaster)
Wink

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Ohhhh, I see.

Blink Blink
Heh. The Google level would have a couple of million/billion rooms branching from one huge room in middle (if it was a fps type game)
Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  opinion:game battle engines, what's the best kind? link_jr97 7 6,081 Sep 18, 2004 03:38 PM
Last Post: link_jr97