What kind of game do you want to play on the Mac?

Quote:Originally posted by death_himself
Hey, how about a game that interprets html files and converts them into levels? I think that would be great, I mean, endless levels, but also, it would be quite imaginative, how you choose to have it interpretted, whether you make it an obvious interpretation or not...links could be doors to new levels, or not. And, most importantly, the source code would be great, though perhaps only to me...but, I think many people would find it interesting, no? Would it take long to do?

That is a cool idea. In a way, it is not so different from iTunes visuals... using data of one type to create output of another type. Add in some rules to keep things interesting for the user....

Actually, I remember a Japanese barcode game where scanning a barcode on a creature card would give you a creature with certain stats that you could use to fight other creatures. The cool part was that you could scan any barcode on any product, and it would create a creature with stats generated from the barcode.... you never knew what you would get, so you'd try to scan all kinds of things. Also, I'm reminded of the Worms random level generator... you could type in a word and it would use that word to generate its levels. The levels had nothing to do with how we see the word, but it was still cool. And with your idea, as you mentioned, you *could* use identifiable elements from a web page.

*head spins*
Quote this message in a reply
I second the motion. Someone should do it! Dr. light looks around at the room of people staring at him
HEY! I already have a project to work on!

AJ: How about a spaceflight game? You could call it "Sageflight Maturo", or something like that. *hint*Grin *hint*.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
EonBleu
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by death_himself
Hey, how about a game that interprets html files and converts them into levels?

Dude, I beat the Internet! It was really hard....
Quote:Originally posted by EonBleu
Dude, I beat the Internet! It was really hard....

lol!
Quote:Originally posted by DaFalcon
That is a cool idea. In a way, it is not so different from iTunes visuals... using data of one type to create output of another type. Add in some rules to keep things interesting for the user....

Actually, I remember a Japanese barcode game where scanning a barcode on a creature card would give you a creature with certain stats that you could use to fight other creatures. The cool part was that you could scan any barcode on any product, and it would create a creature with stats generated from the barcode.... you never knew what you would get, so you'd try to scan all kinds of things. Also, I'm reminded of the Worms random level generator... you could type in a word and it would use that word to generate its levels. The levels had nothing to do with how we see the word, but it was still cool. And with your idea, as you mentioned, you *could* use identifiable elements from a web page.

*head spins*

When I was smaller(12 or something) I had something that was called Barcode Battler that worked in the same vein that japanese thing did, but you could also get weapons and armour etc. From our milk packages you could get awsome armours Smile

Hmm, that internet HTML thingy would be intresting but I think you'll have to be pretty restrictive otherwise it would just turn into a total mess, but the more less restrictive the cooler IMO.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
death_himself
Unregistered

Yes, Falcon understood my idea perfectly, like itunes. But, it would be up to the coder as to whether he/she chose to put the actualy, say, pictures of the web pages in. I'd much rather it be not an obvious interpretation. I don't think you'd have to put constraints say, if the game was a shooter, the type where its like you're tripping. 'Endless levels'...what I meant by that was endless amounts of levels, sorry. But on that note, when WOULD the game end? The links could go on forever...or worse, the player could get stuck in a loop, playing the same levels over and over again...I suppose you'd have to create a history and just close of areas already visited Smile. If this weren't a udevgame idea I'd suggest making it massively multiplayer...where you have chances of going to the same website as another player, and playing alongside them. If only I could program... Sad .
mr. smith
Unregistered

Bubbles!

Cool

_____
smith
death_himself
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by mr. smith
Bubbles!

Cool

_____
smith

I'd much rather have monkeys...
<--- And tails!

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
PuppyHelmet
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by preyingmantis36
There needs to be more sports games on the Mac. There needs to be an Ultimate Frisbee game. 2+2 = There needs to be an Ultimate game for the Mac!

Don't know what Ultimate is? It's kinda like a cross between soccer and (American) football. For more information, check out the official website.

Simply put, Ultimate is my favorite sport in the world, and I would love, more than anything else, to be able to play an Ultimate game for the Mac!

Last year I tried to make a 2D top-down ultimate game. I gave up when it became painfully obvious that the nature of the game necessitates 3D and rather complex controls. It just wasn't ultimate in 2D.

I'd love to see an ultimate game - any kind of frisbee game in fact - but in my opinion it's beyond the scope of uDG. When I first had the idea I thought, "Gee, why hasn't anyone done this yet?" Answer: it's dang hard!
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Dr. Light
I second the motion. Someone should do it! Dr. light looks around at the room of people staring at him
HEY! I already have a project to work on!

AJ: How about a spaceflight game? You could call it "Sageflight Maturo", or something like that. *hint*Grin *hint*.

I made a Star Fox/Rogue Squadron style engine liike that quite a while back. It had rail based flight, BLack Shades-ish graphics, and no audio. Probably should go resurrect that and use it for uDG.

BTW, wouldnÁt the net game be even cooler if you could play it in a browser?
The program would have to have browser-like capabilities, no?

And yes, resurrect away. Take it off the rail though.

I've also taken up designing an Ultimate Frisbee game in the past. I plan to go back to it, but not for uDG.

Chris Burkhardt
mr. smith
Unregistered

Bubbles, dammit!!

Mad

_____
smith
<--- TAILS TOO GOSH DARNIT!Sneaky

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  opinion:game battle engines, what's the best kind? link_jr97 7 6,022 Sep 18, 2004 03:38 PM
Last Post: link_jr97