What kind of game do you want to play on the Mac?

Bames53
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:*a strategy bot builder. you design and build robots. you also program them using a simple scripting language (length of script depends on bots memory). you only get a certain amount of points to build with. and winning a level in single player would give you more points.

all that would be needed for multiplayer would be a web site to post bots. and some way to prove you beat the opponents bot. im not sure how the points would work out there.

I think that that's a good idea, however, I don't think that the majority of the gaming community has the programming skills/interest to stay interested with the game.

i suppose that it wouldnt appeal to everyone. but then with a free game it really just has to appeal to the person that writes it.

to broaden the target market you could add some software modules to buy so the player doesnt have to write everything, or even anything.

i suppose the real reason to not do this is that its already available. IBM put out a free java game that uses tanks. you can have different parts but you do program the tank.
also theres robowar and and old commercial PC game called carnage heart.

Quote: Again, the programming bit. What about making a system where you can program, but aren't required to? That way, those without the desire to script don't have to, and for more advanced users, they can go into the programming of it.

well i hadn't intended it to be required. just available. and i wasn't really thinking to 'script' with some programing language. i was thinking that you'd have the a cell give the reference time in the move. then next tell the joint to move. the next tell how to change the tension.

the program would load up the moves and you could assign keys. then when you hit the button it applies the changes. so you could do more than one. the person making the moves would have to do alot of testing to make it so that the character isn't just having seizures.

also the skeleton demo was the only idea that i really think needs 3d.
Quote this message in a reply
DoG
To take this html levels further, you could combine it with the robot thing so that the html is interpreted as the DNA of the robot. You could then have dueling html pages, and actually have them fight out whose website is better Grin
death_himself
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by DoooG
To take this html levels further, you could combine it with the robot thing so that the html is interpreted as the DNA of the robot. You could then have dueling html pages, and actually have them fight out whose website is better Grin

Hmm...interesting...but then, would it be a game? If you just watched robots duel?> or do you mean being able to control the robot too? I think the ideas should be kept seperate, I'd much rather have infinite levels than infinite characters (it would also mean two good ideas for udevgame instead of just one). Of course, I have no idea what kind of game these levels could be used for, perhaps a platformer? I believe someone wanted a fast one, like sonic, for the mac, that would be cool, because it would be all about reactions and it'd be smooth and there could be shooting and stuff, or punching, or whatever the platform character does.
Maybe the HTML thing could be a sort of capture-the-room type game for multiplayer. People run around trying to capture the most rooms.

Due to the Internet being limitless, there would need to be some sort of twist to keep it from being a race to simply load the most web sites. Something should keep players wanting to come back and reclaim other players' rooms.
death_himself
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by geezusfreeek
Maybe the HTML thing could be a sort of capture-the-room type game for multiplayer. People run around trying to capture the most rooms.

Due to the Internet being limitless, there would need to be some sort of twist to keep it from being a race to simply load the most web sites. Something should keep players wanting to come back and reclaim other players' rooms.

Thats quite interesting, do you think someone could make it multiplayer within three months? I hope they could. As for the incentive to recapture...how about something simple, such as points? Eg. Player one, captures room a, getting him/herself one point, player two captures room a off player one, getting him/herself, two points, player three captures room one off player getting him/herself 4 points, etc. But, to make things even more interesting, how about allowing points to be DEDUCTED? To give an incentive to KEEP a room. So, player one would capture room a, player two takes it off player one, player one has the amount of points player two gained, deducted...so when player three takes it off player two, player three gets four points, and player two loses four. Assuming everyone started with 0 points, player one would have 0 player two would have -2 and player three would have 4...so, now, there is an incentive to a) risk capturing an already captured room at the risk of losing alot more points later if it is taken off you (the point lossages/gains could get quite big) b) to protect your rooms and c) to go looking for new rooms.

Now, the only question that remains, is, what exactly is this game about? Do you shoot people? Are their nasties and platforms in these rooms generated by html? What? Can you perhaps build sentry guns to protect your rooms? (but building anything would cost you points). I'd like it to still be some sort of platformer. IT'd kindah be like a platformer death match, with guns.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

>do you think someone could make it multiplayer within three months?

You'd need servers for that, unless it was head to head via socket connections. I could write a Java multiplayer server for you (it's pretty easy, plus I've written some in the past). I could also write a Java client too, if the game was to be a Java game. Or you could use client-to-client socket connections in C/C++ by including sockets.h and working with that.

Also note that I said multiplaer server/client, not the actual game engine.
To buy new equipment for the game, you go to eBay. Grin
Pop-ups and ad's are the bad guys. You collect javascript weapons. The goal is to track a virus.... needs more.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
I'll might make a preliminary version and flesh out the plot a little. I don't want to make the full version because I wouldn't be able to make it multiplayer (unless you wouldn't mind an extra single player version).

I think what I'll do is use different tags to represent different types of tiles that let you move in different directions. The result will be a maze. If it comes across a link, there will be a door.

Some tags I think I'll use are bold, italic, underlined, link, font size, big, small, java applet, and javascript. Any others I should use?

Mind you, this will be a simple example of what I think this kind of game could be. I don't intend to sell it, or claim the idea as my own. But if I do actually do it, I'll compile it and put it on my web site with a big fat link to iDevGames in it.

Sound okay? I might add weapons and enemies, but not just yet.

Or maybe the javascripts will be the enemies. Who knows?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
death_himself
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by diordna
I'll might make a preliminary version and flesh out the plot a little. I don't want to make the full version because I wouldn't be able to make it multiplayer (unless you wouldn't mind an extra single player version).

I think what I'll do is use different tags to represent different types of tiles that let you move in different directions. The result will be a maze. If it comes across a link, there will be a door.

Some tags I think I'll use are bold, italic, underlined, link, font size, big, small, java applet, and javascript. Any others I should use?

Mind you, this will be a simple example of what I think this kind of game could be. I don't intend to sell it, or claim the idea as my own. But if I do actually do it, I'll compile it and put it on my web site with a big fat link to iDevGames in it.

And perhaps have the combination of letters in the text to make the zany colour scheme? I'm thinking psychodelic here. Of course, it'd have to be interpreted completely differently for a singel player as opposed to a multiplayer game, for multiplayer I were thinking super smash bros mixed with a bit of jazz jack rabbit, and for single player, you'd need to do what you're suggesting, so essentially, it'd either have to be one or the other, though, two seperate games could be made. If only I could code... Sad .

Oh, as for this whole server/client thing, you were thinking of having the players set up servers, right? Be great if gameranger could somehow be incorporated into it.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

I am able to make a Java server that users can setup on their own computer and start in the Terminal.
death_himself
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by AJ Infinity
I am able to make a Java server that users can setup on their own computer and start in the Terminal.

So this would be OSX only? Sad
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

no, it could also run on Linux, Unix, and Windows. You set it up via the command line. Now for OS9, it would have to be an actual app or applet and let the user set it up via a UI.
Quote:Originally posted by diordna

The only problem with this(ie using tags as tiles etc) is that how many web pages can you get stuck in, or cannot advance or etc.
But still, its a cool idea, but I think it might be easier to do a shooter(ie top or left view) or something that doesn't depend so much on the tiles(as a platformer do).

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
death_himself
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by ERaZer
The only problem with this(ie using tags as tiles etc) is that how many web pages can you get stuck in, or cannot advance or etc.
But still, its a cool idea, but I think it might be easier to do a shooter(ie top or left view) or something that doesn't depend so much on the tiles(as a platformer do).

Well, did worms depend on tiles? I think for the multiplayer idea a platofrmer would be best, can't you use the html to make a seed for a random landscape? If that makes any sense...and then perhaps have edges as other random elements? (each level would fit the whole screen, it wouldn't be a scrolling platformer, it'd be more like the original donkey kong). Sorry, not being very helpfull here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  opinion:game battle engines, what's the best kind? link_jr97 7 6,255 Sep 18, 2004 03:38 PM
Last Post: link_jr97