What kind of game do you want to play on the Mac?

uDevGame is just around the corner, and I'm sure lots of programmers/artists are looking for entry ideas. So if you have a game idea -- something you want to see made, post it here. Coming up with a solid (and fun) game design is one of the hardest parts of making a game.

If you are planning on entering uDevGame 2003 and see an idea here that looks interesting, but need a programmer/artists/musician, then head over to the Help Wanted board and assemble a team!

Chris Burkhardt
Quote this message in a reply
I'd like a 3D flight simulator that's centered simple around fly-and-shoot combat. Planes should be able to lay bombs. Decent ground terrain isn't even necessary; floating cubes would be acceptable. Avara-style graphics would aso be acceptable for me.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
yeah! Hellcats Over the Pacific is one of my favorite games ever. I still play it.

Chris Burkhardt
DoG
A racing game. Or a racing game. A racing game maybe?

We need some solid rally or something on the line of NFS or GranTourismo (GranTourismo, preferably). If someone wants to lay it out and do the planning and all, I would happily help coding the physics and UI of it, I am currently quite bored with OpenGL.

As far as flight sims go, nothing comes close to x-plane, which is the only flight sim I endorse at the moment. But then again, most people don't even know you can use rudders, too, so an arcade game might be just fine.
Founder
Here is my short list of games that I want to see, play and would vote for...

* Centipede clone... considering Ambrosia's OS 9 and below.
* A basebal game. could be top down view with fps batting sprites, or simple 3d models (anime style?)
* Zaxxon, again 2d isometric or 3d models
* moon-patrol type game
* a wicked fast platform game along the lines of Sonic or Zool
* top-down view of a race car game. The type where you can see the entire track.. like those old Atari classics
* Guantlet-like game (with level editor)
* Gyruss-like shooter (I use to really like that game)
* LadyBug game (maze-like game)
* SpeedBall game (love that game!)
* Any volleyball or tennis type game

As you can see, the games I like are a bit retro. That is good for the short time that uDevGame gives you. I hope people who post here won't ask and expect something like Doom 4...

Remember, devs only have 3 months to make their games!

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I third the racing game genre - I'd love to see a single screen, top-view one like Carlos suggests.

BTW - I think Ambrosia announced they will be porting Apeiron to OSX.
Quote:* moon-patrol type game

I've seen a ton of requests on other forums for a moon-patrol clone, and yet I've never seen a moon-patrol clone. Someone should make one. Smile

Quote:* LadyBug game (maze-like game)

Your wish is already being granted. I've been planning a Ladybug clone as my uDevGame entry for a couple weeks now. Just gotta finish up my current project first.
Oldtimer
Quote:* Gyruss-like shooter (I use to really like that game)

Actually, I had this planned. Damn you! Grin
Basically, I think the mac needs some decent quality desktop games which you can launch and not go full screen. Basically anything which you can pick and play for a few mins in a break, and pause it/switch to another application to do other stuff in the process.

Basically a killing time/taking a break game. And something which was very graphically pleasant, with good use of aqua etc.

But yeah, I second all those actual game designs that the mac needs.
karolos
Unregistered

I would like some horror game like Silent Hill, something more mature that we get actually and original genre on macintosh, not clone-like etc...
SpinDizzy
Unregistered

- I want to see a game with a persistant universe or maybe as a single player game that is real time and made in a civilization manner. Preferably using history and the real world as a model. That way we could all live out our napoleon day dreams. It could be one to infinity players. Play over internet or against computer opponents. Build, invent, invest in culture, conquer, play by politics. All on a large scale.

That would be my prefered EverCrack. The game to end all games kind of.

- Otherwise I would like a really good car, hijack, shootem up game a la Vice City or similar. Spy hunter was a good game too.
- A massive multiplayer space game with lots of different planets and stuff would also be nice. Like the new Star Wars game thats coming.
- The classic Double Dragon game as a revamped 3d game? Or Golden Axe? That I would like to see.

I like either games with real arcade capabilites that you can pick up and play instantly or the really huge world builder games like civilization.
SpinDizzy
Unregistered

Oh, oh, oh.... one more thing. A super smash brothers clone or even better like the X box game kung fu chaos (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/386/386666p1.html) which doesn't exactly get a glowing review there but I found it great to play. All those kinds of battling games are fun. Worms and Tanks are more strategic and SSB and KFC are more action based.
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho

* SpeedBall game (love that game!)

Oh yes, one of the best "sports" game ever(I'm talking about the second one), I really like it. And infact, I still play it, and I've numerous times started making a similair game. Too bad I've never finished any Sad

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Anybody that makes a realistic sub sim or a realistic flight sim(realistic as in physics, not graphics) will get all 5's from me. I promise.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
DoG
Quote:Originally posted by Dr. Light
Anybody that makes a realistic sub sim or a realistic flight sim(realistic as in physics, not graphics) will get all 5's from me. I promise.

A flight sim is too much for 3 months work, even for a team of 10. But a sub sim is definitely possible. If anybody lays that out, I definitely have an idea how to tackle the physics of it! So if anybody wants me co-coding a sub sim, Ninja. uh ya, definitely go some stuff up my sleeve for that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  opinion:game battle engines, what's the best kind? link_jr97 7 6,123 Sep 18, 2004 03:38 PM
Last Post: link_jr97