Drawing: Transparent Pixels and NSImage

elhochme
Unregistered

Hi,

I want to draw an NSImage with a white background on top of another NSImage which has already been drawn but I want the white background to be transparent, hence giving the sprite a realistic look rather than a pasted block look. (like a sprite of a person ontop of the background, I want the white background surrounding the person in the sprite to be transparent so then it just looks like a person on top of the background)

How can I do this? I've tried everything with no luck.

I'm doing this in Cocoa/Obj-C.

Thank you for your time,

elhochme
Quote this message in a reply
you could save the image in a format that has an alpha mask (tiff, png) and in that case you could have 8bit alpha (allows for pretty antialiasing) and it would be easier to draw.
elhochme
Unregistered

I made an alpha mask and saved it to the .tiff that I was using.

Now when I go to display the NSImage, I get this error...

2003-06-17 19:45:18.166 Background[8027] Warning: TIFF image with unknown extra samples assumed to have unassociated alpha. RGB values have been premultiplied. Use tiffutil -cat to fix.
2003-06-17 19:45:21.579 Background[8027] Warning: TIFF image with unknown extra samples assumed to have unassociated alpha. RGB values have been premultiplied. Use tiffutil -cat to fix.
2003-06-17 19:45:21.587 Background[8027] Warning: TIFF image with unknown extra samples assumed to have unassociated alpha. RGB values have been premultiplied. Use tiffutil -cat to fix.

-------

I'm not sure exactly what it wants or why. By the way, what operation constant should I be using with compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation: ? NSCompositeSourceOver?

thanks.
it means your alpha layer is kind of wonky and not standard, I get this too. So I use a nice command line utility, go to the folder where your tiffs are (in terminal), make sure no other files are there, then use this command
Code:
find . -type f -exec tiffutil -cat {} -out {} \;

it will batch convert all troublesome tiffs
elhochme
Unregistered

worked like a charm.

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A few pixels inside Miglu 3 3,392 Aug 12, 2010 07:41 PM