POV-Ray

It hasn't been updated for over a year and the Mac version has to be run in Classic since the Jaguar version won't render or let you open files from the Open menu. Does anyone else suspect that it's dead?

The Mac page also has many ooooooooold links and counts Meshwork as "new."

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
Get something called MacMegaPov 0.7 (maybe a later version but I doubt it). It works just fine in OS X. I am sorry, but I do not know where I got it though.
Apprentice
MacMegPov is available at this link http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh/

It is up to version 1.0 now. I haven't used it recently so I don't know what has changed or been improved.

--Jim
I need help rotating a sphere. I want to rotate it around its center, but when I rotate it (rotate around the x axis), it rotates around the bottom of the sphere. what translations do I need to do to the sphere to make it stay in the same location yet rotate like I want it to?
http://www.povray.org/
You can find a standard Mac OS / OSX release here. That other one mentioned earlier looked like it had more to it though.

As for free modelers:
http://www.artofillusion.org/
Its a tad slow, but pretty well rounded for the average ametuer. Setting it to single view speeds it up a lot.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Quote:I need help rotating a sphere

Make sure the center of your sphere is located at 0,0,0 (in relation to itself), otherwise it will orbit. That might not fix the problem though, because its been a little while since I've messed with it.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Quote:Originally posted by Dr. Light
Make sure the center of your sphere is located at 0,0,0 (in relation to itself), otherwise it will orbit. That might not fix the problem though, because its been a little while since I've messed with it.

I know it is orbiting, I was wondering what I could do to translate it so it wouldn't orbit.... or how I would translate whatever to the center of the sphere... help me out here. code be nice to Grin
If it orbits, just move it up twice its radius. But that's just if you're rotating 180 degrees.

Anyway, I got MegaPOV and it works wonderfully.

Dr. Light, I was originally complaining about the official Mac release. That's why I posted in the first place. I don't need a link to the site.

AoI is pretty good, but it lacks features of many 3D apps.

Hmm. Your right, it hasn't been updated for quite some time now that I think about it. Don't know what I was thinking...Wacko

Quote:AoI is pretty good, but it lacks features of many 3D apps.

If only it were a tad more simple then it would be great for beginners. The texture setup is awful, cause you either got to import from another file or whip it up from scratch every time you make a new file. Unfortunately, it requires some sit-down time and a little bit of know-how to get something done. As for professional work, goodness no; however, it does manage to get this cowboy's work done with room to spare, and at a price I can afford. In short: not perfect, but I love it.Grin

You needn't list free 3D apps for me, unless they're not on this list:

Art of Illusion
Blender
Coalesce
jPatch
Mechanisto
Meshwork
PatchDance
PixelShox
POV-Ray
Sphaera
StrataVision 4.0
Terragen
Wings3D

now out of those, I believe pov ray has the best rendering quality, but what has the best overall (modelling, rendering, texturing) and the best in each of those categories?
Max
Diordna, you forgot Amapi 3D v4! There are also a few "abandonware" applications like Infini-D and RayDream Studio.

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
I have that too, but I didn't like it so I don't use it.

Wings has the best modelling, but the worst texturing. StrataVision is good in all areas but is out of date. It has the best texturing.

Okay another question: How would I rotate something on the y=x axis. I tried rotating x and y at the same time... but that causes my ball to spin out of control. solutions?
Founder
>abandonware" applications like Infini-D and RayDream Studio
Technically, both are NOT abandonware. Eovia owns the rights to both, and markets their line to the customers of those apps.

>now out of those, I believe pov ray has the best rendering quality
PR can make some nice images, although I hear that the Mac version is SLOWER than the PC/Linux versions. I don't know the status on this issue to comment though.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames